What's new

Handle Size?

So I scored this as a project, but when it arrived the handle was much smaller than anticipated. Even smaller than my EJ Best Badger

proxy.php

Since I am now strictly face lathering with MWF my hopes is to find a decent sized handle that can hold a nice big silver tip badger knot. I am almost contemplating buying the knot first and then making a handle myself. Or is it possible that maybe this handle will work and I just need to measure it to see? What say ye?

That would probably end up with an 18mm knot...that is not the big brush you were looking for. Doesn't mean it can't tackle MWF, however. The wee Scot is smaller, an does a fine job so I've read.

It would still make a nice little brush, and you could buy the big knot you want and make that handle.

Thanks for all the info, I may just look into another handle as I want something a little bigger and save this for a rainy day. Can you suggest a different brush that may tackle the bigger knot? I would like a vintage wood that I could sand down and repaint to my liking. Seeing as my favorite razor is from 1934 I like the old looking stuff.

Last edited:
I have what looks exactly like that brush and the knot measures 20mm +

The largest handle on a vintage that I have seen is about 23mm.

I am in the mood for another 30mm monster and am resigned to having to have one made. I seriously doubt if I could find one in the wild.

Same here. I have restored 5 brushes recently, and have three more waiting for knots. The biggest was a 22mm that I drilled out to fit a 24mm boar knot.

How big do you want? Rudy vey can make any size....and user ccnutman makes really nice exotic wood handles with 24mm knots (typically). I have one of ccnutman's. And it is a great face lather brush. I'll measure the loft when I get a second. Don't remember off the top of my head.

Not sure if you'll find a vintage handle with a large knot diameter, but I don't see why the numerous people on this board that make custom handles couldn't make something in a vintage style.

Yeah I am not to sure how big of a knot I want? Since it's like 100% cheaper to build your own brush than say buy a Simpson or Rooney it really appeals to me to do this from the price perspective and also the "I did it on my own" aspect. I do like the size of knot in this video, and the way it stands strong.

http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/shave_cream_lathering.htm

As it stands my current brush is an EJ Best Badger. And while it's a good brush the hair really spreads out like a flower blooming when face lathering, and I am assuming it's caused by a lack of back bone in the brush and or to much pressure? I would really like a Super Silver Tip Badger Knot and a simple handle I could make since it sounds like vintage maybe out. Maybe a 30mm knot just to get crazy with it?

Top Bottom