What's new

Hand Soap for Shaving?

I've been doing some experimenting, and agree that Dove works the best. Problem is, there's about 15 varieties of Dove soap, including a "calming" one (but, oddly enough, none for shaving). I chose the one for sensitive skin.

The key advantage of Dove is its neutral pH. No stinging, thick lather.

Yardley is too alkaline, as are most hand soaps. And that Yardley with oatmeal really does have oatmeal in it, which I do not want in my shaving brush. But it smells (almond) and washes really nicely -- excellent bath soap.

Dial white seems a lower priced version of Dove, and is worth trying. Their red Power Berries semi-glycerin soap is also very mild and nice.

Stay as far away from Kirks as possible, unless you want to use it as a laundry soap. WAY too alkaline.

I also found a common glycerin bar soap that works very nicely.

Frankly, I think these soaps work a lot better than many shave soaps.

If you are experimenting, start with Dove. I'm still experimenting, myself.

Dove does contain some soap, but the primary ingredient is a detergent. That is how is is more neutral in pH. Here are the ingredients:

Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid, Sodium Tallowate or Sodium Palmitate, Water (Aqua), Sodium Isethionate, Sodium Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoate or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

Sodium tallowate, sodium palmitate, sodium stearate, sodium cocoate and sodium palm kernelate are all saponified fatty acids (soaps). If you notice, the ingredients say they can use sodium tallowate or sodium palmitate. They also say they can use sodium cocoate or sodium palm kernalate. If the soap contains sodium palmitate and sodium palm kernalate, it will perform much differently than if it contains sodium tallowate and sodium cocoate. I try to avoid products that indicate they will use whichever ingredients are more available or less expensive at the time the soap is manufacturer. Different ingredients means different performance. That may not be important when washing your face, hands or body, but it is important for shaving. Thus, you next bar of Dove soap may not perform like your current one.

Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Sodium isethionate and Cocamidopropyl Betaine are synthetic detergents. I do not mind detergents in my shampoo and hand soaps, but I try to avoid them in shaving soaps.

Just the thing if you're into mud wrestling.

But for shaving, is this supposed to be a good thing?

I prefer soaps that are slick and allow for nice razor glide. But Cremo...might actually be too slick. If you get it on the hand you are holding the razor with, the handle gets slippery. I shaved with a Gillette Slim this morning, which has a good handle for gripping, and I found myself immersing the razor in my sink to get it rinsed of Cremo lather.

Dove does contain some soap, but the primary ingredient is a detergent. That is how is is more neutral in pH. Here are the ingredients:

Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid, Sodium Tallowate or Sodium Palmitate, Water (Aqua), Sodium Isethionate, Sodium Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoate or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

Sodium tallowate, sodium palmitate, sodium stearate, sodium cocoate and sodium palm kernelate are all saponified fatty acids (soaps). If you notice, the ingredients say they can use sodium tallowate or sodium palmitate. They also say they can use sodium cocoate or sodium palm kernalate. If the soap contains sodium palmitate and sodium palm kernalate, it will perform much differently than if it contains sodium tallowate and sodium cocoate. I try to avoid products that indicate they will use whichever ingredients are more available or less expensive at the time the soap is manufacturer. Different ingredients means different performance. That may not be important when washing your face, hands or body, but it is important for shaving. Thus, you next bar of Dove soap may not perform like your current one.

Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Sodium isethionate and Cocamidopropyl Betaine are synthetic detergents. I do not mind detergents in my shampoo and hand soaps, but I try to avoid them in shaving soaps.

You can't tell a good shaving soap by its ingredients.

I used Ivory in the shower with carts for decades. then transitioned to Dr. Bronner's Castile in the shower. I can DE/SE shave in the shower with the Dr. B's, and essentially any bath soap. I won't straight shave with them.

I've used Ivory with a brush and it gives a much cheaper, easier built, comparable lather to Williams. that I have used with a straight.

everyone's going to do what they do with what they like once they've figured it out. what works for each is good enough.

Here in Brazil, Nivea sells a 3 in 1 soap (bar): “body, face, shaving”.

Same scent as the Sensitive Skin AS balm.

I guess it doesn’t classify as a 100% hand soap, though. Nevertheless...

Quite good, actually. Fuss free. Lather is thin, but I didn’t try building anything close to yogurt either. Post shave is very good, not dry at all (I shave before I shower, so I rinse whatever’s left, but they recommend rinsing it after shaving). I use it in the shower and for my hair as well. Real good. It doesn’t last very long, though (I use Dove for showering and hair, but haven’t tried shaving with it. Will give it a try).

Soap and ingredients:

E53FF574-308D-4B1F-BC3B-1F1D0A68F914.jpeg

10E3CE49-76A8-4732-B02B-50E346D7D8A5.jpeg

Quite good, actually. Fuss free. Lather is thin, but I didn’t try building anything close to yogurt either. Post shave is very good, not dry at all (I shave before I shower, so I rinse whatever’s left, but they recommend rinsing it after shaving). I use it in the shower and for my hair as well. Real good. It doesn’t last very long, though (I use Dove for showering and hair, but haven’t tried shaving with it. Will give it a try).

Soap and ingredients:

View attachment 1254524

View attachment 1254525

And there you are, in the sacred land of Granado! I love that stuff! Bath soaps, the aftershave balm is incredible and the shave bar is by far the best I've ever used.

It doesn't lather, just rub it on you face and hand lather it around. It has Murumuru in it, straight from the Amazon. Truly incredible stuff!

Que saudades...

Gentlemen, i did a test lather on my face, albeit without actually shaving, of the Palmolive "moisture care" soap (it has olive oils on the packaging), that the gentleman above mentioned. I used my trusty Yaqi Timberwolf, because it can lather anything.

IT WORKS!!! Unbelievable, but it works better than some dedicated shaving soaps out there! The lather building is rather quick and the lather is stable. I 've seen shaving soaps doing much worse. The lather doesn't dissipate! One can shave just fine with it! Slick! Slicker than a cheap shaving soap i have used. The only downside? Somewhat drying. But i think i have seen worse drying with Arko and Latoja stick. Nothing a balm can't fix in my case. So, in all effects, this can actually be used as shaving soap! And keep in mind, sirs, that i have very hard water, yet it worked!

Formula from the package. Amazingly, it doesn't have potassium, yet it works! And without sweating! It lathers easily!

Sodium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Talc, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentate and some others things. Made in Turkey (maybe Arko should start worrying???). In the market here there are also 2 more of the same family, so you can have more scents! There is one with honey and one "Black Orchide" (called "Irresistible touch").

Warning: There is also a "Palmolive moisture care olive and milk 98% vegan". This is another soap, i presume has no tallow, so results may vary.

This is the one i used:

1.png

I forgot! It smells MUCH BETTER than Arko or Tabac. And the Black Orchid smells DIVINE compared to Arko or Tabac.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, i did a test lather on my face, albeit without actually shaving, of the Palmolive "moisture care" soap (it has olive oils on the packaging), that the gentleman above mentioned. I used my trusty Yaqi Timberwolf, because it can lather anything.

IT WORKS!!! Unbelievable, but it works better than some dedicated shaving soaps out there! The lather building is rather quick and the lather is stable. I 've seen shaving soaps doing much worse. The lather doesn't dissipate! One can shave just fine with it! Slick! Slicker than a cheap shaving soap i have used. The only downside? Somewhat drying. But i think i have seen worse drying with Arko and Latoja stick. Nothing a balm can't fix in my case. So, in all effects, this can actually be used as shaving soap! And keep in mind, sirs, that i have very hard water, yet it worked!

Formula from the package. Amazingly, it doesn't have potassium, yet it works! And without sweating! It lathers easily!

Sodium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Talc, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentate and some others things. Made in Turkey (maybe Arko should start worrying???). In the market here there are also 2 more of the same family, so you can have more scents! There is one with honey and one "Black Orchide" (called "Irresistible touch").

Warning: There is also a "Palmolive moisture care olive and milk 98% vegan". This is another soap, i presume has no tallow, so results may vary.

This is the one i used:

View attachment 1255441

I forgot! It smells MUCH BETTER than Arko or Tabac. And the Black Orchid smells DIVINE compared to Arko or Tabac.

You might want to try actually shaving with this before you recommend it.

Most soaps will produce a lather because that's what soap does. Bar soap is for washing your face: for removing dirt and oils. Therefore, it generally needs to be alkaline, have a high pH, i.e., be caustic. This can produce a shave that ranges from mildly irritating to feeling like your face has been sandblasted in Death Valley in the summer -- try shaving with Kirk's "gentle" castile soap!

In other words, bar soap typically is not irritating for the short time you use it to wash your face. But it is on longer when you shave, and scraping a blade across your skin gets the soap into the pores, depending on how aggressive your razor is. With an alkaline soap for shaving, your face might look red afterwards.

I don't recall seeing this in the store, but I live in the boonies. I presume this is sold in America?

From experience, I don't like olive oil in shaving soap as it seems to inhibit lather, but then I don't actually see it in the list of ingredients you posted.

Please let us know what sort of shave you get with this, what razor and blade you use, and how much razor burn you get, if any.

Thank you for the suggestion!

(BTW, I tried Proraso green tub, and couldn't get good lather, either. It may have been the tap water - or it may have been Proraso; I gave it away. I have been disappointed too many times with highly touted shave creams. That's why I think we need to experiment with hand soaps.)

I tried a bar of the Oatmeal Yardley. I like it as a bath soap from time to time and happened to have some, so....

I did not spend alot of time working with it. Just pretty much went through the motions that I usully do. Did it work? Yes. Was it awesome? No.

There you have my extensive research on lathering a hand soap lol

You might want to try actually shaving with this before you recommend it.

Most soaps will produce a lather because that's what soap does. Bar soap is for washing your face: for removing dirt and oils. Therefore, it generally needs to be alkaline, have a high pH, i.e., be caustic. This can produce a shave that ranges from mildly irritating to feeling like your face has been sandblasted in Death Valley in the summer -- try shaving with Kirk's "gentle" castile soap!

In other words, bar soap typically is not irritating for the short time you use it to wash your face. But it is on longer when you shave, and scraping a blade across your skin gets the soap into the pores, depending on how aggressive your razor is. With an alkaline soap for shaving, your face might look red afterwards.

I don't recall seeing this in the store, but I live in the boonies. I presume this is sold in America?

From experience, I don't like olive oil in shaving soap as it seems to inhibit lather, but then I don't actually see it in the list of ingredients you posted.

Please let us know what sort of shave you get with this, what razor and blade you use, and how much razor burn you get, if any.

Thank you for the suggestion!

A fair point, sir! I did leave it on my face for quite some time, to see if it dissipates. But i didn't shave with it. I don't know where the boonies are, but the gentleman in the video is American, so i presume he bought it in USA... There is olive oil, but a bit later on the list, it's too long and there was a very long, chemical complicated ingredient before, so i stopped before it. I could barely read the tiny words.

Well, i don't shave with bar soap, it just happened to see the video in the gentleman's channel, so my saw it and i was impressed because it seemed to be decent lather. Hand soaps usually make thin, bubbly lather.

But, i will tell you what. Tomorrow, i will shave with it and report back! My skin is mostly immune to anything. If it was going to burn me, it would have already done so. So, why not actually shave with it tomorrow!

Alight, here goes the rest, after the previous ingredients: Tetra-di-t-butylhydrocinnamate, Olea Europea Fruit oil, Aloe Barbandensis Leaf Juice Powder, Sine Adipe lac, Benzyl salicilate, Butyphenyl Methylproprional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool, CI 77891, CI 470005, CD 61570.

More or less, because my eyes are killing me.

Soap and ingredients:

View attachment 1254524

View attachment 1254525

THIS is one of the truly great posts I have seen here. I can't help chuckle every time I look at it.

Why?

I promptly looked for this product on Amazon, without success. I then simply typed in "Nivea," and looked, and looked, and looked.

Try simply typing in "Nivea" on Amazon. Look at all the different products for a myriad of purposes they hawk!

And yet here's one little bar of soap that does it all: face, body, shave, and perhaps even shampoo your hair. If they, or any other company, sold a product that does everything, how could their marketing departments justify buying all their other junk, especially their stratospherically priced specialty products?

Look at all the flavors of Dove soap, or Suave shampoo. Or any brand from these corporate monoliths. Is this necessary?

Once upon a time, soap was soap. Then it was differentiated into soap for washing clothes and soap for washing your body, which was a very good idea. Then, at some point which I do not know (anyone out there?) they differentiated it into shaving soap, again a good idea to the extent it meant it had a lower pH and was gentler and slicker. Then they invented shampoo -- I believe the first was Prell in the 50s. And conditioner.

Fine. You can stop now!

But of course, they didn't.

I would love to see this Nivea Sensitive Men soap sold in the U.S. Fat chance! But is there any good all-purpose soap equivalent sold here? Any ideas?

I, too, would like to try the NIvea soap. I enjoy other Nivea products and I bet the soap would be a great fit in my bathroom routine. Shower, shave, shampoo.... heck I may even clean the toilet with it! Too Far?

I, too, would like to try the NIvea soap. I enjoy other Nivea products and I bet the soap would be a great fit in my bathroom routine. Shower, shave, shampoo.... heck I may even clean the toilet with it! Too Far?

They will never make it available to USA, exactly because you are Americans. You are supposed to buy the most expensive stuff, not the "one does it all" product!

Alight, here goes the rest, after the previous ingredients: Tetra-di-t-butylhydrocinnamate, Olea Europea Fruit oil, Aloe Barbandensis Leaf Juice Powder, Sine Adipe lac, Benzyl salicilate, Butyphenyl Methylproprional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool, CI 77891, CI 470005, CD 61570.

More or less, because my eyes are killing me.

Thanks.

Um, after the sixth item or so on a list of ingredients of any soap, I'm just a little skeptical that the ingredients actually contribute anything, aside from trying to impress the consumer with a lot of mumbo jumbo. The exceptions would be things that work in small quantities, such as fragrance, tea tree oil, lanolin and jojoba oil. Does vitamin E do anything in soap? Perhaps it is a preservative for the oils. BHT would make more sense, but they might be afraid to list a "scary chemical."

I know a fair amount about medicinal herbs, and I think most of the herbs added to soap are just BS. I don't know what they are supposed to do, applied topically, and have never seen any attempt at explanations. They stay on the skin so briefly, I don't see how they could have much effect.

Good to know what hand soaps may work in a pinch. This thread makes me want to try lathering from a bar of Marius Fabre olive oil soap, knowing that olive oil soaps are allegedly bad for lathering.

Top Bottom