What's new

Hand forged damascus knife. Hard steel, hard to sharpen. advice?

Hi all, I need B&B advice I was walking through some markets in Tasmania, Australia and stumbled across an older gent selling a small array of icredible looking hand forged Damascus blades, primarily kitchen use in design. I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger. She's a large, heavy blade and I love what it will be... BUT... it's very hard to sharpen. I've got your standard set of nice, euro kitchen knives. I use usually a 1k King on them when they get quite blunt then work up to the suehiro rika 6k stone to polish. Feeling crazy sharp I'll even take it to a 10k, but in reality that's just me being snobbish and having fun. The issue I'm having is this thing just won't get an edge. It's the hardest steel I've seen in a knife. Does anyone have a hand forged Damascus blade that's hard and has any advice? I'm at a loss. I've taken it back to an unknown grit oilstone that's quite rough, then moved up again to the 1k, spent a solid couple of hours on it on the 1k but it's just not happening. My other knives would be shaving my arm by now but this one I can run over my finger and not fear the cut. Any help graciously taken on this one. She's beautiful and I want to use her but she's just so... blunt!

What did you pay for it?
Good Damascus steel is expensive. There are some cheap knives (like from China or India) which may look great but are junk.

Quite expensive. Artisan, hand forged. Who knows what steel. It's very, very hard though. Nothing like my Euro knives.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You might consider taking it to a professional knife sharpener and see what they can do. I've got a Damascus VG-10 and takes work to bring it back to where I'm happy.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have one that was similarly hard to sharpen. It's become my 'go-to' or main knife.

After a long struggle, I took the DMT fine to it and got a bevel set and all was good. Because of the different layers, I could never get a super polished edge so I settle on finishing with 1K. Cuts great. Seldom needs a touchup.

Mmm ok I guess I'm used to razors and German knives. I start on a 1k with them. I'll just go back again to the low grit stones and start working slowly. Damn this blade is hard.

Legion

Staff member
Pics or it never happened.

What angle are you sharpening at?

Have you done a sharpie test in the bevel? Did you get any info from the seller on the RC hardness of the edge?

If the edge is hard to sharpen because it is very hard steel, that's ok. Lots of Japanese knives are like that. They need special care, but will hone up like a razor. Literally.

If it is hard to sharpen because it has not been heat treated properly... well... Not much you can do.

Did the seller make it, or did he buy it wholesale, and is just selling?

Last edited:
Top Bottom