What's new

Some advice please on this knife tool and paste for some strops.

Solingen folding knife that I sharpened some time ago but didn't get sharp.
I thought the steel wasn't up to it but locked on the blade with a loupe and spotted lighter areas on both sides.

Back to bevel set with coarse stone and it got really sharp in the end, The steel was just hard and wear resistant as the Eskilstuna I posted a while ago.

Anyone know what the tool in p.2 is for?

Coarse synthetic, sandstone, Shapton 1000#, India oilstone, pink, green Chinese.

IMG_3687.JPGIMG_3688.JPG

Advice for paste selection for stropping kitchen and folding knives

I have finally completed some strops that will be used for folding and kitchen knives.
Help me with ideas for paste for these strops.
Tell me about a progression/-s you use sharpening & stropping, that you like.

From left to right:
Soft leather, linen, linen, hard leather, hard leather, denim( bottom).

IMG_3695.JPG

Reactions: JPO

Legion

Staff member
Advice for paste selection for stropping kitchen and folding knives

I have finally completed some strops that will be used for folding and kitchen knives.
Help me with ideas for paste for these strops.
Tell me about a progression/-s you use sharpening & stropping, that you like.

From left to right:
Soft leather, linen, linen, hard leather, hard leather, denim( bottom).

View attachment 1746931
I only use a plain leather strop after the finishing stone. Alternatively some newspaper or cardboard will work, but I keep a roo leather bench strop in my knife honing boxes. I’m not into pastes.

Actually I do sometimes strop chisels and plane irons on CrOx on balsa wood, but not knives.

I only use a plain leather strop after the finishing stone. Alternatively some newspaper or cardboard will work, but I keep a roo leather bench strop in my knife honing boxes. I’m not into pastes.

Actually I do sometimes strop chisels and plane irons on CrOx on balsa wood, but not knives.
Do you put paste on the paper and cardboard?

The better I got at knife sharpening the less useful pasted stops seems to be.
But at the same time using a hand hold strop can be a very relaxing thing and it also offers some alternatives.

But some things are not logical at all for me why things need to be tested.
So far I've never tested low grit like below 1 micron on leather. Does it work well compared to linen or denim?
And for softer leather vs. harder I guess higher grit on the harder leather.

@life2short1971 advised me about using Solingen black paste(high grit) on hanging denim stop for straight razor as last finishing to get extra smoothness. And to my surprise it often works for me. Often taking an edge missing some to good. That surprised me as the black paste didn't work for me on leather.

For this knives strop I', thinking about following:
Soft leather 2.5 micron diamond
Linen: mothers
Linen: 6.5 micron Al
Hard leather: 1 micron diamond
Hard leather: .5 micron diamond
Denim: puma green chromium oxide

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Do you put paste on the paper and cardboard?

The better I got at knife sharpening the less useful pasted stops seems to be.
But at the same time using a hand hold strop can be a very relaxing thing and it also offers some alternatives.

But some things are not logical at all for me why things need to be tested.
So far I've never tested low grit like below 1 micron on leather. Does it work well compared to linen or denim?
And for softer leather vs. harder I guess higher grit on the harder leather.

@life2short1971 advised me about using Solingen black paste(high grit) on hanging denim stop for straight razor as last finishing to get extra smoothness. And to my surprise it often works for me. Often taking an edge missing some to good. That surprised me as the black paste didn't work for me on leather.

For this knives strop I', thinking about following:
Soft leather 2.5 micron diamond
Linen: mothers
Linen: 6.5 micron Al
Hard leather: 1 micron diamond
Hard leather: .5 micron diamond
Denim: puma green chromium oxide
No, I don’t use any pastes for knives, it’s just a final alignment of the edge/ deburring. If I want a finer edge I’d use a finer stone at the end.

Well with that comment I just have to test it out.
You won't be disappointed, and if your survival depends on it, start a week before your hungry. :D

The only knife i like over sharp is my stock knife, one blade is for you apple, one blade is for bailing twine and the third is for hide/skin as in ''snip snip'' :w00t: that blade comes off a non descript stone, have no idea what grit nor care what it is, it gets wiped on me trousers, takes off arm hair and gets folded put in its belt pouch, job done. No fuss.

I've seen even older men who were men use a honed Stanley utility knife for the same job and the "Scrub Bulls'' ..... well you get the idea :(

Top Bottom