What's new

Had forgotten how GREAT Harry's razors are

Decided to take my Harry's for a spin today for a bit of variety from months and months of DE shaving.

WOW! If I hadn't invested so much in my DE arsenal - and enjoy the art of the safety razor - I could be happy using Harry's the rest of my life. I got every bit as good a shave from it in half the time :blink:

With about 400 DE blades, I am set for 7 1/2 years there. The Harry's will stay in regular rotation now, though. And I might have to make a purchase from them about once a year to keep my cartridges stocked.

It's nice to have variety :biggrin1:

After reading this thread, decided to break out my Harry's Truman in beautiful ivory and give it a shave. After spending an hour tearing my shave den apart with no luck, I suddenly realized, I loaned it (never get anything back) to my son.

This thread is now going to cost me a bunch of money to replace it!

There is something about "German Engineered" that always gets my attention. Does anyone know if the we can use the shave cream with a brush? For $15 I might take a chance on the Truman Set but I'd sure like to know a little more about his cream and aftershave balm. Heck, I might as well search B&B to see what else has been posted.

It really is German Engineered. This is Harry's razor, two years before Harry's existed:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110924054046/http://www.feintechnik.com/index.php?lang=en

Reminds me of Victor Kiam, who said he liked Remington razors so much he bought the company. Harry's must have felt the same way because they bought Feintechnik and have been dba Harry's in North America ever since. I wonder if Harry's will buy the New England Patriots? Kiam liked that football club so much he bought it too. There's money in shaving.

Harry's fan here too...I've always gotten really good results. It's a good fallback option for me.

Dave, the cream is definitely brushless (and not bad).
Haven't tried the balm; I asked if I could get a sample, but to no avail.

Different experience here. Had a discount available from radio talk show host, Mark Levin. That got me the $15.00 kit for $10.00 delivered.

The cream is okay, but no better than a host of brushless creams from a can. The razor and I didn't hit it off very well, either. Used it 3 times and put it away, can't even remember where. DE, brush and a good soap still reign supreme for me!

After reading this thread, decided to break out my Harry's Truman in beautiful ivory and give it a shave. After spending an hour tearing my shave den apart with no luck, I suddenly realized, I loaned it (never get anything back) to my son.

This thread is now going to cost me a bunch of money to replace it!

I have the ivory and orange. That navy is nice as well.

I thought about getting one, may still at some point. There are endless $5 new customer codes you can google. Either the Truman set or the cancelable 8 cartridge w/ free handle plan come out to $10 after coupon. Depends on if you want more blades or fewer blades + product.

I thought about getting one, may still at some point. There are endless $5 new customer codes you can google. Either the Truman set or the cancelable 8 cartridge w/ free handle plan come out to $10 after coupon. Depends on if you want more blades or fewer blades + product.

Thank you for the heads up on the new customer codes, I wouldn't have thought of it. I am definitely going to buy another.
The one I had before I picked up off Ebay with 12 carts for a song, but $10.00 is very reasonable.

Last edited:
Thank you for the heads up on the new customer codes, I wouldn't have thought of it. I am definitely going to buy another.
The one I had before I picked up off Ebay with 12 carts for a song, but $10.00 is very reasonable.
I just tested it tonight and it worked. Got right up to buy it and bailed, for now. The $5 new customer discount seems to be part of their business plan. They seemingly make no attempt to control the many $5 codes floating around nor do they seem to have any other types of promo codes.

For my day-today shaving needs, I will stick with my Parker 24C, Lada DE blades, my tube/cream of the day, and any of my A/S. A Harry's razor and blades might be ok for shaving while travelling--since DE blades aren't allowed in carry-on luggage.

I've been shaving for over 40 years, wet, cartridge, electric, etc. Never as satisfied as I have been with Harry's. It just plain feels good. Now I only shave in both directions (with, then against the grain) on special occasions. Plain shaving with the grain is fine for day-to-day. I have tried both the cream and the gel. Yes, you could squirt the cream into your palm, and use a brush. Keep it wet, it wants to dry out. I prefer the gel, with a little water splashed on after a two minute wait, just to wetten it up a little. I do purchase on auto-buy, but tonight went to my account on line and lowered the frequency and the next shipping date. You have full control, i.e. it's not like the old "book a month club."

I was tempted to try Harry's, but Harry's had more polarized opinions on review sites than did the Mach 3, Dorco, and Feather MR3.

I may break down and go for it now that I know about the $5 coupon. Or I may look for a used one. I really like the design of the handle.

Harry's new copper handle is quite good looking.

"This limited-edition copper handle is a handsome addition to every guy's morning routine."

Thing about Harry's is they speak our language. My hope is that they will add DE offerings to their line-up. Expose their current customer base to traditional shaving. Let their buyer's choose.

Top Bottom