What's new

Haberdashery Acquisitions

My only complaints are the stuff band, which is not a big deal since I was going to get some replacements anyway, and the crown is too slick. I can turn it easily enough to set the date and time, but pulling it out to do that is a chore. It's pretty hard to get a grip on it, and my fingernails aren't up to the task. Luckily it's not something I have to do frequently.
Does this not have a screw down crown? Looks good, and I've heard good things! Wore my Citizen yesterday, and it was doing the 2 second jump. Glad it got a chance to charge back up.

Got this Citizen Promaster Diver today. I'd been watching it on Amazon for a while, trying to justify the cost, and the price jumped. Then I found this one on eBay for almost $10 cheaper than the Amazon price I was deliberating. Brand new, with tags. Looks like the seller even set the time, because it was within two minutes of the actual time, although the date was a day off.

View attachment 1307416

My only complaints are the stuff band, which is not a big deal since I was going to get some replacements anyway, and the crown is too slick. I can turn it easily enough to set the date and time, but pulling it out to do that is a chore. It's pretty hard to get a grip on it, and my fingernails aren't up to the task. Luckily it's not something I have to do frequently.

I had the same watch. Sold it the date was to small couldn’t read it.
( old eyes) has a screw down crown.
Great watch. Look on H strap I purchased a Stainless Steel Bracelet for the one I had. Makes it pop.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Does this not have a screw down crown? Looks good, and I've heard good things! Wore my Citizen yesterday, and it was doing the 2 second jump. Glad it got a chance to charge back up.
It does have a screw down crown, and my first thought was that I just didn't have it unscrewed all the way. But I did; I just couldn't get much of a grip. I managed it, and it's not a deal-breaker. It's just annoying.

Kilroy6644

It does have a screw down crown, and my first thought was that I just didn't have it unscrewed all the way. But I did; I just couldn't get much of a grip. I managed it, and it's not a deal-breaker. It's just annoying.
When I got home from work, I noticed that the date was wrong again, meaning the time was off by 12 hours. I had less trouble with the crown this time, so I'm not worried about it anymore.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
More footwear. These arrived today. Both pairs worn a while to check fit and comfort.

IMG_20210809_150355_edit.jpg

Padders UK - Lunar

More thoughts here...

IMG_20210809_154245.jpg

Base London - Lima (Brown/Navy).

I was expecting black, as I didn't notice navy specified in the retailers description, but the navy works just fine. Seem decent enough for the price, though will probably benefit from a good neutral polish. Not super robust leather, but will still need a bit of time to settle in.

Both items were bought well under half retail price, so I'm forgiving a few very light scuffs on each. Nothing I might not have done myself after a days wear.

Kilroy6644

Two orders in today. I got some straps for my Promaster from Cheapestnatostraps, and a Vostok Amphibia from an eBay seller. The Vostok is my first automatic. I've already got some straps on the way, but they won't be here until next week. In the meantime, I'm debating whether to adjust the bracelet, or just wait until the straps come.

IMG_20210811_115123218.jpg

Two orders in today. I got some straps for my Promaster from Cheapestnatostraps, and a Vostok Amphibia from an eBay seller. The Vostok is my first automatic. I've already got some straps on the way, but they won't be here until next week. In the meantime, I'm debating whether to adjust the bracelet, or just wait until the straps come.

View attachment 1310191

You should try the Bracelet. There Surprisingly Comfortable. For as cheap as they are.

Kilroy6644

You should try the Bracelet. There Surprisingly Comfortable. For as cheap as they are.

As of right now, I'm waiting for the new straps. I took the bezel off to adjust it, and then I took the bracelet off so I didn't have to deal with it when I put the bezel back on, and then the end links fell off. And based on my experience with my Timex Allied (the only other watch I own with a bracelet), I've come to the conclusion that I'm not the biggest fan of bracelets. I don't like the way they stick when my wrist starts sweating. But maybe I'll monkey with it when I get home. I'd like to wear it before I make any changes.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My local thrift store comes good again. I found this excellent condition vintage sheepskin coat.

View attachment 1310551
Nice sheepskin jacket. I much like the darker version that you have. I bought one years ago from a Shop called Skinnies at Parkmore Shopping Centre in Keysborough Melbourne. It is the lighter version and I have probably worn it once in 36 years. I don’t through much away.

Legion

Staff member
Nice sheepskin jacket. I much like the darker version that you have. I bought one years ago from a Shop called Skinnies at Parkmore Shopping Centre in Keysborough Melbourne. It is the lighter version and I have probably worn it once in 36 years. I don’t through much away.
I have a lighter one already, but yeah, I like the darker one better as well. I'll probably sell the lighter one eventually, but now I need to wait for next winter to do it.

Not too many days in Oz where we need them though, to be fair. Probably why this one was in such good condition.

I'm 60 next month and my wife will buy me a watch. Yesterday went short-listing and it comes down to a choice of these two:
tempImage5NOKNR.png

Both roughly the same price. I thought that I wanted the GMT function but I also like the idea of a metal strap. I already have a Marina 44mm so I am used to a chunky watch. I also looked at a Bell & Ross BR05 with the gold and steel bracelet which looks good on the website but it's too small for me. IWC Portugeiser was on the short list but I am tending to the GMT Panerai. I have a month to make my mind up...

I'm 60 next month and my wife will buy me a watch. Yesterday went short-listing and it comes down to a choice of these two:
View attachment 1311970

Both roughly the same price. I thought that I wanted the GMT function but I also like the idea of a metal strap. I already have a Marina 44mm so I am used to a chunky watch. I also looked at a Bell & Ross BR05 with the gold and steel bracelet which looks good on the website but it's too small for me. IWC Portugeiser was on the short list but I am tending to the GMT Panerai. I have a month to make my mind up...

Both are Nice. The GMT Catches my eye.

Congratulations! I don't think you can really go wrong. I'll save my favorite for myself, as it's not about me. However, perhaps think about how much use you would get from the GMT. Especially if you prefer a metal strap. It's possible you could add a metal strap to the GMT, though that is extra $$ and unless it's from the company, may not match the way you want it to. But then, I'm a function over form guy, so take that for what it is.

After going back and forth in my mind about whether I should go "upmarket" in buying a new watch, I decided to stay in my schoolteacher salary range. Sold a few watches to consolidate down to a manageable level and just ordered the Lorier Falcon II in navy.

Congratulations! I don't think you can really go wrong. I'll save my favorite for myself, as it's not about me. However, perhaps think about how much use you would get from the GMT. Especially if you prefer a metal strap. It's possible you could add a metal strap to the GMT, though that is extra $$ and unless it's from the company, may not match the way you want it to. But then, I'm a function over form guy, so take that for what it is.

Thanks! The main pros and cons are do I actually need the GMT function, given my phone has the time in every city in the world(!) and living in the Singapore humidity means you get through leather straps pretty quickly and at $600 a pop to replace make the metal strap attractive. But the GMT looks good...

Top Bottom