What's new

H. Boker & CO 'Lancet Temper' Straight Razor and Talking to Boker USA

I bought a straight razor from an antique store several weeks ago. The blade has 'Lancet Temper' enscribed. I have had no luck trying to find anything related to it on the web. The groups I belong to on FB told me to reach out to them. So I did.

They're just as curious. I sent them pictures a few minutes ago and hopefully I'll get some answers. Maybe it might be someones fathers or grand father's razor and I get the chance to donate it to them (if they wanted it) or maybe it's nothing but just.. nothing.

Here are some pictures!

if these don't show up, let me know.

It’s just marketing.

Manufacturers did (and still do) stamp/etch/engrave anything which could grab the attention and sell more razors. There are at least a few dozens of engravings sold by Böker, some which are more common, some which are not.

There are very few exceptions where the engraving actually meant something, but this is not one of them.

I’d say use the razor if you’re interested in shaving with it. But before that, you would have to send it out to someone who actually shaves with a straight razor and knows how to properly hone one. Someone sharpening only knives or woodworking tools will most likely destroy it. If you decide to send it out for honing, there are some references on this forum.

Since the razor isn’t worth much, you could also get some stones and start learning how to hone a razor. You will likely not be able to get a good edge in the beginning, but that’s part of the learning process. It will get better if you keep practicing.

Since you’re young (if the age is set correctly on your profile) and after you get the stones, then it will be a useful skill as you’ll be able to get very cheap shaves in the future.

Cheers!

I’ve got a Boker like that, it says “Marwyn Guaranteed by Boker” on the face. What does it mean? Who knows. Probably nothing. This was the first ever razor I purchased, and it’s the one I learned to hone on. I didn’t tape the spine and put on too much wear, but it turned into a great shaver and I bet yours will too.
IMG_3965.jpeg

I've seen the 'Lancet Temper' etch on a Boker before.
Pretty sure it's supposed to infer a surgically sharp edge, like a lancet would have.

..oh. I was really excited it might have had some history behind it. I am.. dumb.

wonder if it’s sellable/worth selling.

ill go through these forums and see if I can find a thread that would help me find answers on vintage razors and what they’re worth especially in different conditions. I have about 15 and god knows how many Gillette’s and mugs

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
..oh. I was really excited it might have had some history behind it. I am.. dumb.

wonder if it’s sellable/worth selling.

ill go through these forums and see if I can find a thread that would help me find answers on vintage razors and what they’re worth especially in different conditions. I have about 15 and god knows how many Gillette’s and mugs
Appraisals aren't allowed on here so I doubt you'll find anything to help you prize wise. Just trying to help you save some time.

Yea, pricing is just an opinion and can just lead to arguments. Best place to get an idea of price is eBay, sold sales in the advance tab.

The only price/value that counts is what a buyer is willing to pay. Remember there are millions of razors in the wild. Condition is usually more important than rarity for razors and most things.

Top Bottom