What's new

Guys, I really need some opinions on a razor...

Alex - go for it!!

We could argue the "almost NOS" description (almost a virgin?) but one cannot deny the razor's condition looks absolutely outstanding along with the case! We can also discuss the razor's value as a collection piece as opposed to its value as a shaver.

What matters at the end of the day is how YOU feel about buying it. If you have the cash and aren't spending next week's grocery money, absolutely go for it!!

You're not buying it strictly as an investment, and you're not buying it because it is selling for less than market price. You want it because you want it!! That's good reason enough for me!!

(There, my friend . . . have I enabled you enough?)

Enjoy your "new" Red Ring!!

I want one also and let a few pass in my Days,
For me the Cash is no problem if i Really Really want it, But coming from a Member who has ni listing fee's, PayPal Fee's, And Ebay's final Value fee, im sure he can do a little better cinsidering how that market for razors have taken a drop in price. But then again i dont know what he paid for it :eek:/ . Send me Members info, I want to see if u can get him to drop it some, if he does ill buy it and you can visit me in NY and i promise to let you Hold it for a few minutes in your hands :001_tt2: Deal? LOL.

It sure is a beauty Alex :eek:)

I'm still waiting to find one in the wild for under $20:biggrin1: I am not a collector on the same level as yourself, or Jake, or Mark1966 (to name just a few). At the same time, I've paid more than that for a razor that I just had to have, a cased Hoffritz. It turns out that I didn't end up liking the shave (too prone to bloodletting without meticulous attention to angle and pressure in comparision to my other razors), so I traded it for a Fat Boy.

Bottom line, that's more than I've ever paid for a razor, but I'm in lust with the British Aristocrats and forsee a sizeable cash outlay in the near future. If this is one you really want, I would probably get it.

Good luck, and if you do end up with it I hope it lives up to your expectations.

Alex - go for it!!

We could argue the "almost NOS" description (almost a virgin?) but one cannot deny the razor's condition looks absolutely outstanding along with the case! We can also discuss the razor's value as a collection piece as opposed to its value as a shaver.

What matters at the end of the day is how YOU feel about buying it. If you have the cash and aren't spending next week's grocery money, absolutely go for it!!

You're not buying it strictly as an investment, and you're not buying it because it is selling for less than market price. You want it because you want it!! That's good reason enough for me!!

(There, my friend . . . have I enabled you enough?)

Enjoy your "new" Red Ring!!
I want to use it everyday, but i never had one and they dont come by easy, so i dont know if im going to like it and wont be able to resell at price paid.

I want one also and let a few pass in my Days,
For me the Cash is no problem if i Really Really want it, But coming from a Member who has ni listing fee's, PayPal Fee's, And Ebay's final Value fee, im sure he can do a little better cinsidering how that market for razors have taken a drop in price. But then again i dont know what he paid for it :eek:/ . Send me Members info, I want to see if u can get him to drop it some, if he does ill buy it and you can visit me in NY and i promise to let you Hold it for a few minutes in your hands :001_tt2: Deal? LOL.

It sure is a beauty Alex :eek:)
Varg, you crack me up....the seller has a rare and vast collection. He did not pay a lot for it but he knows his razors. I just never shaved w Red Ring and dont know if i will like it...but if i dont like it, then i dont know if i will be able to resell at paid price.

I'm still waiting to find one in the wild for under $20:biggrin1: I am not a collector on the same level as yourself, or Jake, or Mark1966 (to name just a few). At the same time, I've paid more than that for a razor that I just had to have, a cased Hoffritz. It turns out that I didn't end up liking the shave (too prone to bloodletting without meticulous attention to angle and pressure in comparision to my other razors), so I traded it for a Fat Boy.

Bottom line, that's more than I've ever paid for a razor, but I'm in lust with the British Aristocrats and forsee a sizeable cash outlay in the near future. If this is one you really want, I would probably get it.

Good luck, and if you do end up with it I hope it lives up to your expectations.
thanks

If you buy it and don't like the shave, you probably won't be able to recoup the investment. I would pass on it unless the seller comes down on the price. You should get more info from Jake about why he didn't like the shave; maybe that will help you to make your decision, one way or the other (for example, if he says he didn't like it because it was "too aggressive," but you happen to like aggressive shavers, his discontent might push you toward buying it; on the other hand, he might say it was too finicky or it was hard to find the right angle, and you might think this would annoy you, too, so you could pass on it).

Good luck.

If you buy it and don't like the shave, you probably won't be able to recoup the investment. I would pass on it unless the seller comes down on the price. You should get more info from Jake about why he didn't like the shave; maybe that will help you to make your decision, one way or the other (for example, if he says he didn't like it because it was "too aggressive," but you happen to like aggressive shavers, his discontent might push you toward buying it; on the other hand, he might say it was too finicky or it was hard to find the right angle, and you might think this would annoy you, too, so you could pass on it).

Good luck.
I see your point, but this razor has high resell value as of now. Even the non cased ones go for $270 plus. I may have to consider this variable.

I see your point, but this razor has high resell value as of now. Even the non cased ones go for $270 plus. I may have to consider this variable.

Alex--Get it---If you don't like the shave you can sell it for less and take a small hit but at least you'll know
and if you like the shave its a beautiful razor--I've sold razors and took a loss but to me it was worth it because my goal is to find the 2 or 3 best razors for ME

Alex--Get it---If you don't like the shave you can sell it for less and take a small hit but at least you'll know
and if you like the shave its a beautiful razor--I've sold razors and took a loss but to me it was worth it because my goal is to find the 2 or 3 best razors for ME
Dont tell me twice, I already may be thinking about that too. I have til the weekend to decide............................

You might consider that most any old razors weren't worth squat 10 years ago. If you got it, didn't like it, chances are if you hang on to it for a while you could recoupe your money. Or it could go back to being worth $15 if this whole wetshaving thing is just a fad. Last I saw they ain't making anymore.

You might consider that most any old razors weren't worth squat 10 years ago. If you got it, didn't like it, chances are if you hang on to it for a while you could recoupe your money. Or it could go back to being worth $15 if this whole wetshaving thing is just a fad. Last I saw they ain't making anymore.
jason, so since they aint making more its worth it?

That's a beauty for sure. I have one like it - not as pristine - that I paid less than $200 for. For me, it's a great performing razor - feels mild but per-pass reduction like a much more aggressive razor. It's a bit like the new R41, but without the "bite." Not sure if it's the best shaver I have but definitely in the top 5. That said, I personally would hold off to try to find one a bit more use grade for $250 or less.

Few pics of mine so you can compare condition..

View attachment 215500 View attachment 215502 View attachment 215503

Alex, it's your money and only you know what you can afford. Many valid points have been raised here but ultimately you have to decide if you are willing to wait around for another one in the price range you want. I got a Darwin Deluxe early last year and spent way more than I ever thought I would on a "razor", especially since I am not a collector and use everything I have. That said, I'm glad I did. I think I have seen 2 or 3 come available since then. Yes, Red Rings appear more often than Darwins but they are still collectible. If you use and don't like it, you can sell it and regain your money having known that you tried it and it wasn't for you. The Darwin is the pinnacle of the few razors I own. I have some I need to sell but you have to try something to know if you like it. For some reason, I knew I had to try the Darwin and I'm glad I did. It shaves me closer than any razor I own, even my SE's. I will never part with it. I am trying to cull my collection down to 4 or 5 razors and the Darwin is definitely going to be staying with me. Was it a lot of money? Yes. Was it worth it? Absolutely. And if I didn't think so, I could sell it and recoup my money. Bottom line is, I think there is a reason some of these razors are so rare and it isn't just because they weren't made my Gillette. I think some are truly excellent shavers and the people that own them know that and enjoy it. I think I have seen one person say a Darwin wasn't a great shaver for them. All of the other owners I have seen post seem to love their Darwins. I believe it could be the same with the Red Rings (but I'm not positive-I have never used one nor do I want one but they are very nice looking). Just some things to think about. If it were up to me and I had the cash and wanted to try it out, I would buy it and try it. Nothing lost if you don't like it and resell it....

Alex, it's your money and only you know what you can afford. Many valid points have been raised here but ultimately you have to decide if you are willing to wait around for another one in the price range you want. I got a Darwin Deluxe early last year and spent way more than I ever thought I would on a "razor", especially since I am not a collector and use everything I have. That said, I'm glad I did. I think I have seen 2 or 3 come available since then. Yes, Red Rings appear more often than Darwins but they are still collectible. If you use and don't like it, you can sell it and regain your money having known that you tried it and it wasn't for you. The Darwin is the pinnacle of the few razors I own. I have some I need to sell but you have to try something to know if you like it. For some reason, I knew I had to try the Darwin and I'm glad I did. It shaves me closer than any razor I own, even my SE's. I will never part with it. I am trying to cull my collection down to 4 or 5 razors and the Darwin is definitely going to be staying with me. Was it a lot of money? Yes. Was it worth it? Absolutely. And if I didn't think so, I could sell it and recoup my money. Bottom line is, I think there is a reason some of these razors are so rare and it isn't just because they weren't made my Gillette. I think some are truly excellent shavers and the people that own them know that and enjoy it. I think I have seen one person say a Darwin wasn't a great shaver for them. All of the other owners I have seen post seem to love their Darwins. I believe it could be the same with the Red Rings (but I'm not positive-I have never used one nor do I want one but they are very nice looking). Just some things to think about. If it were up to me and I had the cash and wanted to try it out, I would buy it and try it. Nothing lost if you don't like it and resell it....

I also have a Darwin and would rate the shave from the Red Ring much better. Darwin is good but not outstanding for me. That said, they are gorgeous works of art. Just goes to show YMMV.

Alex will he drop the price to at least $300.00 ? If so Buy it and if you dont like it, ill buy it from you 300.00 Shipped, Deal ?

I think is probably incredibly awkward for the seller.

If you've discussed the deal in private, to post his pictures and asking price without his input puts him in an awkward position. He is also most likely reluctant to comment since he answered your WTB in confidence and now has the transaction placed under the magnifying glass of public scrutiny.

I agree with those who say wait for a user grade that you can test drive. You will always be able to resell it. Should you love the actual performance, then you'd be in a better position to gauge your comfort zone for price.

Using the forum as peer pressure for pricing isn't fair to the seller. Most BST deals are one on one and yes or no kind of deals. To open the drapes and invite everyone to scrutinize the minutia of a transaction is unfair to the kind brother who answered your call for WTB. If you pass, he now has an item that has been publicly criticized and scrutinized and now is either more or less valued. Either way he'll have second thoughts about offering it for sale again lest it turn into a thread of free for all discussion and appraisal.

Just my $0.02

thank you Mr Bacon, I will adhere to your insightful view.

I think is probably incredibly awkward for the seller.

If you've discussed the deal in private, to post his pictures and asking price without his input puts him in an awkward position. He is also most likely reluctant to comment since he answered your WTB in confidence and now has the transaction placed under the magnifying glass of public scrutiny.

I agree with those who say wait for a user grade that you can test drive. You will always be able to resell it. Should you love the actual performance, then you'd be in a better position to gauge your comfort zone for price.

Using the forum as peer pressure for pricing isn't fair to the seller. Most BST deals are one on one and yes or no kind of deals. To open the drapes and invite everyone to scrutinize the minutia of a transaction is unfair to the kind brother who answered your call for WTB. If you pass, he now has an item that has been publicly criticized and scrutinized and now is either more or less valued. Either way he'll have second thoughts about offering it for sale again lest it turn into a thread of free for all discussion and appraisal.

Just my $0.02
I posted just the pictures and no other info, It is impossible for the razor pics to disclose any personal info since it is from my private email. Not even CSI/Miami could figure out where this razor from or who it belongs to. So dont get any ideas to try:001_tt2:

Believe me, this seller has a vast collection of rare razors that will blow any razor collector's mind. He knows his razors and prices. He will not be influenced by my postings or the insightful and informative views of our well informed members. I did not post this as a way to influence the seller's pricing. The seller is not desperate and will not lower the price no matter what anyone here says. I just want informative views from our respectful community on my purchase of the razor and price. I have not tried a Red Ring yet and they are hard to get. So due to the high price I needed some assurance and expertise. I do appreciate your interest on the seller and on my inquiry, I will consider your advise too, it is valuable to me.

My experience shaving with the several Eclipses I've had was sort of mixed. The razor itself is beautiful and I love the design, and the look of the razor in my hand or in the case. But the shave was mild and the feel of the razor on my face not as smooth as I like. I guess I'd compare it to a Tech -- in a good way. Not like a good old New Standard or the incredibly functional Aristocrat Junior. As for an excellent shaver that will appreciate as well as hold up another 50-75 years -- I'd select a British #15 open comb. But you've probably already got one of those. Of course, as we all know YMMV!

Meanwhile if you love the Red Ring Eclipse and it's in good shape, I suggest you buy it and enjoy it. If you don't love it, sell it. You're likely going to get your money back. And we'll all know how much you paid. But those Red Rings will always find a buyer & often a user.

Alex....your one of the nicest bro's on the forum...and a great collector...but my philosophy is all good things come to those that wait. You say you want to "use" this as a daily, or part of your rotation shaver....so why even look for one that is "near mint"?
I say keep searching for one that has slight wear and a lower price....that is alot of money for a razor.....If I bought that It would be cased, not used...but that's my .02

Top Bottom