What's new

Guys can be gross, according to girls.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Guess I Haven’t seen much pizza on buffets. 🤪
We used to eat at a place that was a franchise joint called "Ci Ci's" I think. A pizza buffet. Not sure if they are still in business anymore.... They had delicious stuff. My favorite was one @Multum in parvo would love: Macaroni and Cheese pizza! Just like it sounds: a pizza crust covered in Mac and cheese!

They also had cinnamon rolls with the white sugar icing.... I ALWAYS ate too much there. Ate till I was nearly sick. Good times!

Oh: they also had soup and salad, lol.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Cici’s has 296 locations in the US, and according to the St. Louis location’s menu, the buffet still exists. No locations in Michigan though.

Haven’t been in 20 years, but may visit soon. I have good memories as well.

FarmerTan

Cici’s has 296 locations in the US, and according to the St. Louis location’s menu, the buffet still exists. No locations in Michigan though.

When I come down to visit you can buy my lunch!

FarmerTan

It's funny, I ate in 3 separate locations in Michigan. Sad. Maybe I should open a franchise? Free food for all the County Health Dept employees!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So this here is a 100% true story, which is rare for me. Here goes....blame my twin brother @Messygoon if you want, I was just bein' me, and he asked for this true story. I strongly encourage you to stop reading now if'n yer a sissy.

Probably, Oh, 13 years ago or so my lovely bride, who was homeskoolin' my only begotten, belonged to a co-op teaching thing, and we had a "Field Trip" to a Maple Sugar Tree Farm. There was an old picture there, over 100 years old of the original shack, and the owner took me out to see the tree in the old photo. That tree really hadn't grown that much, to be honest. All my sugar maple trees grow like weeds; this had to be what old timers around here call a Rock Maple.

Anyway, that ain't got nothing to do with anything. After you have stood around in the woods on a typical cold, damp, overcast day in Michigan's Thumb region, you are ready to go about 20 minutes after you get there.

So we drive (my wife did. I get lost on my way to the bathroom) into the nearest town to eat lunch. It was a little town, like EVERY town in the Thumb. It had one restaurant, a Pizzaria. And it smelled delicious, and it was busy.

So we go in, probably 50 people, or roughly the size of the towns population. And it's mostly to go folks, lunch time crowd I guess. And we all start grabbing seats while the women go stand in line to order pizza.

And then this one table with three clean looking people sitting at it gets up and leaves. AND THEY LEAVE three slices of pizza on the metal tray on a stand in the middle of the table! Just leave it there!

Well, y'all know I'm about 1/2 Scotch (and yes, the other half soda) so I'm not about to leave that pizza alone.

Here's the part that the War Department says is "gross"..... and a bad example for impressionable young minds. I'd been watching these clean looking people for about 5 minutes. In all that time, not one of them coughed, sneezed, or picked their teeth OR their nose.

So I grabbed a piece of the leftover pizza and commenced to eatin' it. And my bride commenced to tellin' me (loudly) how it was a bad example, and gross, etc, ad nauseam.

The boys all laughed as I recall, the girls all made gagging noises, and none of the Dad's or anyone else fought me for the pizza. I got it all, it was delicious, and it didn't kill me.

I still contend that I did nothing wrong. May have even helped save the planet. What say you all?

Have any of YOU gentlemen ever been falsely accused of being "gross?"
Well, I have two dogs and never use the dishwasher. Go figure.

If you'd tried to eat the diners that would have been gross. Even if they were clean.

But pizza is supposed to be eaten. It *wants* to be eaten. That's it's sole reason for existing. Would have been rude not to.

In fairness, this is a situational difference, not a physical one.

Pure sophistry.

If you abstract away everything that differentiates a buffet (a designated area for grazing) from grazing off other diner's tables, they are exactly the same thing. If you abstract everything away from a candlelit dinner for two and a church pot-luck for 60 other than some number of humans consuming edible things, they are exactly the same thing.

You see, I assume, that I similarly engaged in sophistry right there. Analogy, invaluable tool in pedagogy and understanding, masquerades as argument.

Buffet or otherwise, regardless however much the diner is allowed to choose their own adventure, the norm at the heart of the transaction is that the food consumed by the diner is conveyed to them on the proprietor's terms which do not include scavenging from other tables.

Why impose on the proprietor or staff to enforce a term he/they might agree with you is stupid and wasteful and only truly (in their minds) necessary when a hungry hobo enters the establishment and orders a coffee? It really isn't for you to strike a heroic blow against food waste or against some other people's self-imprisonment by middle class morality in someone else's place of business, in panhandle or thumb. Unless it is, I guess.

The story involves a funny and charming guy being funny and charming. But we don't scavenge off other people's tables in restaurants.

I'm laughing because this is what I've thought for decades to be California's great contribution to the English language, we talk to each other as if we are in kindergarten. "No. Not okay. Not okay. Okay?"

And now I have produced a treatise for use in another very important project I am working on.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Pure sophistry.

If you abstract away everything that differentiates a buffet (a designated area for grazing) from grazing off other diner's tables, they are exactly the same thing. If you abstract everything away from a candlelit dinner for two and a church pot-luck for 60 other than some number of humans consuming edible things, they are exactly the same thing.

You see, I assume, that I similarly engaged in sophistry right there. Analogy, invaluable tool in pedagogy and understanding, masquerades as argument.

Buffet or otherwise, regardless however much the diner is allowed to choose their own adventure, the norm at the heart of the transaction is that the food consumed by the diner is conveyed to them on the proprietor's terms which do not include scavenging from other tables.

Why impose on the proprietor or staff to enforce a term he/they might agree with you is stupid and wasteful and only truly (in their minds) necessary when a hungry hobo enters the establishment and orders a coffee? It really isn't for you to strike a heroic blow against food waste or against some other people's self-imprisonment by middle class morality in someone else's place of business, in panhandle or thumb. Unless it is, I guess.

The story involves a funny and charming guy being funny and charming. But we don't scavenge off other people's tables in restaurants.

I'm laughing because this is what I've thought for decades to be California's great contribution to the English language, we talk to each other as if we are in kindergarten. "No. Not okay. Not okay. Okay?"

And now I have produced a treatise for use in another very important project I am working on.
Manifestos seldom fairly portray anyone's point of view accurately besides the author, and rely heavily on straw man fallacies masquerading as argument.

Accusing one of sophistry is an insult, as sophistry is by definition deceitful. I'll choose to believe that you simply didn't understand the word when you used it, rather than deliberately calling me a liar.

I apologize. My dictionary allows multiple senses of sophistry. Concerned of the potential edge of my words, I adverted to my own sophistry.

I errored and trafficked inappropriately on your good will. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to at least acknowledge it.
Manifestos seldom fairly portray anyone's point of view accurately besides the author, and rely heavily on straw man fallacies masquerading as argument.

Accusing one of sophistry is an insult, as sophistry is by definition deceitful. I'll choose to believe that you simply didn't understand the word when you used it, rather than deliberately calling me a liar.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I apologize. My dictionary allows multiple senses of sophistry. Concerned of the potential edge of my words, I adverted to my own sophistry.

I errored and trafficked inappropriately on your good will. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to at least acknowledge it.
No problem.
By the way, the general point was intended as humor.
Perhaps the liberal use of LOL emoji's would have conveyed that more appropriately.
I don't think there are (though in secret there may be) anyone here advocating eating left over food from someone's restaurant plate.
To clarify, I was expressing more of a condemnation of Buffet lines rather than the acclamation of eating from a departed diners order!

I have to admit, I'm the one in the relationship who would call out my wife for something like that. I'm a bit persnickety having been raised by a doctor and a nurse where, if you were eating and your napkin hit the ground, you either left it there and got another napkin, or picked it up, washed your hands, and still got another napkin.

Yes and yes. And the lost part of the tale, despite my bloviation, can't be that the good wife drives the good man to the boondocks and is forced to observe, "This is why I can't take you anywhere," as he expresses bafflement.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
My in laws had a beagle that would eat off anyone’s plate if they forgot to push their chair in when they left the table. That dog led a normal healthy life so I guess that’s testimony to the safety of eating second hand food. Now if you’re the kind of person that sticks the same finger into all the dressings at the salad bar to taste them that’s another story. If you use a different finger each time it makes all the difference. That’s acceptable. It’s a fine line between acceptable and gross. 😊

2475876.jpg

Licking a plate, well I have seen an aunty doing that and the cook in the restaurant responded by giving here a second desert with sauce….

Now the pizza that is harsh you might have spoiled the small towns trash can dogs dinner….

Gross nah now if you served that pizza to farmer on that licked plate that would count.. ;-)

Top Bottom