What's new

Pets are Gross

Yes, they are also cute and can be a source of joy. But we must admit they are also gross. Especially when we allow them into the house. Double especially when you agree to getting said pet strictly because we all agreed it would live OUTSIDE, and yet it is now INSIDE your home...

Ok, vent over. Here's my issue - while my wife's dog doesn't stink, and our house doesn't stink, something is making our VACUUM stink. Whenever we run it, there is a smell powerful enough to elicit gag reactions and the feeling like we will revisit our latest meal. We've tried cleaning everything, replacing filters, etc to no avail. It was so bad recently that we decided to get rid of the stink bomb and get a new vacuum. We've had said vacuum less than a month, and it's already showing signs of this same stink. Anyone have experience with this, and know of a way to deal with it? I'd certainly appreciate it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
You could sprinkle a little baking soda or laundry power on the floor and then vacuum it up. To be honest such suggestions will be simply masking the smell rather than addressing the cause. A vacuum cleaner should not smell if maintained properly, bag changed or emptied etc. and certainly not after a month of usage. Are you only cleaning up dry material?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As a home that has two large dogs that live inside, it takes effort to keep the vacuum from smelling.
Usually when folks clean, they clean the filter, change the bag etc., but people don't usually rinse out the corrugated hose or rinse out the wand portions.
There are powdered enzyme scent removers you can use to negate the smell, and they transfer to the vacuum when cleaning.

I never understood the point of owning a dog if it's not part of the family and allowed in the house?

As dog owners, who have dog doors and the dog gets free range of inside and outside, we have no fowl smells like you are describing. Maybe it's not the dog who stinks and one has nothing to do with the other.

Last edited:
As said earlier. The hose needs to be cleaned regularly. We had this issue when we had a dog. Never knew about the enzyme cleaners. We ran soap and water through it and hung it in the garage to dry.

Pets all smell. I guarantee someone who doesn’t have pets could tell if you have them or not when they enter your house even if you removed all evidence before the enter. You are probably just used to it…. Vacuums seem to concentrate the scent which is what you are smelling. Pet owner here…

As a home that has two large dogs that live inside, it takes effort to keep the vacuum from smelling.
Usually when folks clean, they clean the filter, change the bag etc., but people don't usually rinse out the corrugated hose or rinse out the wand portions.
There are powdered enzyme scent removers you can use to negate the smell, and they transfer to the vacuum when cleaning.
This is along the lines of our next step we wanted to try. Do you have a specific recommendation you can provide?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is along the lines of our next step we wanted to try. Do you have a specific recommendation you can provide?
I went down to look, but all we have right now is the spray for hard floors. I'll ask the wife when she gets home tonight.
Mind you, the dogs do not make mistakes in the house, so we are not dealing with urine or fecal issues, just general dog dander.

I have a mastiff that sleeps with my wife and I. She is a bed hog and farts like crazy. She isn’t gross except for the farts of which I am not a fan.
I had a Bulmastiff, oh man the farts! Damn I miss that dog!

On a brighter note our new dog (7month old mutt) found something dead in the bush yesterday...wow. 2 baths so far!

Gotta love them.
I never understood the point of owning a dog if it's not part of the family and allowed in the house?

As dog owners, who have dog doors and the dog gets free range of inside and outside, we have no fowl smells like you are describing. Maybe it's not the dog who stinks and one has nothing to do with the other.
I also don't really understand an outside dog.

I went down to look, but all we have right now is the spray for hard floors. I'll ask the wife when she gets home tonight.
Mind you, the dogs do not make mistakes in the house, so we are not dealing with urine or fecal issues, just general dog dander.
Thanks! FWIW, the biggest mess we have to clean up is that our lab likes to eat mushrooms/berries from the yard. Sometimes, she ends up ingesting small twigs/mulch as well. These are then regurgitated in her favorite spot - on our area rug. We THINK the smell is coming from that...but really just aren't sure.

I have two cats and an Old English Sheepdog living inside my house. The cats frequently puke, the dog, well…. I swear, my home smells just fine.

Do you wash your dogs regularly? People stink if they don't shower...
Our dog licks himself...more than the cat does, actually. And so he's perpetually stinky as a result of that.

Best he ever smelled was a few months ago after he took an indirect hit from a skunk and I corralled him into the walk-in shower and thoroughly bathed him. He doesn't like baths but he actually seemed to enjoy the shower. Especially when he realized that the skunk smell was dissipating.

I know that the "experts" say that tomato juice for skunk is an old wive's tale, but I used a quart of home canned tomato sauce prior to shampooing him and it seemed to make a real difference. YMMV, probably.

Do you wash your dogs regularly? People stink if they don't shower...
Attempting to increase the frequency of this is the other option we are putting into action. Let's just say that my earlier suggestions that this was part of the issue was met with skepticism.

Some people are not animal lovers, have a friend who showed his dislike to Dog yesterday. Dog is Lab-Poodle Mix, the dog tried to make friend with guy, the gentleman showed he was not dog lover. Gentleman just Beth say go away, I am not interested, you smell, he don't do dogs.

Dogs are not love by everyone, if you a Dog lover, or Pet lover cool. If not just don't abuse animals, to show your in control, if you do you and I have problems..

Top Bottom