What's new

Grungy Aristocrat

Don't use anything harsh on it.

Boil it gently for 2 minutes with a mild solution of dishwasher detergent, then polish it with jeweler's rouge ONLY. Any other polish will damage the plating. I've restored two dozen razors with that technique. Works like a charm. Except on gold techs, which have a melty enamel coating :lol:

In reality, this has been done for a week or so... just didn't have time to post pics... so here are a couple...

Mid Cleaning:
proxy.php

And Final Cleaning:
proxy.php

I still need to take some detail pics, but it really turned out great!! The Ultrasonic is amazing!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wow, great job!

The Swan emerges afterall!

Congrats.

I love posts like this where something that the average schmuck on the street would think is garbage, with a little care and attention to detail, is restored from the grave and gets to continue the job it was built for.

Holy mackerel. I wish I had picked up one of those ultrasonic cleaners when I started getting vintage razors. I would have saved a hell of a lot of time and not scratched the hell out of some of them. Look at that gold shine.

If you're looking to buy some razors that you're going to need to clean up, an ultrasonic cleaner is a great investment. They literally save hours of work.

First of all, here is the cleaner I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MVVZ8I/ref=oss_product

Secondly, I don't want to mislead you guys. I did have to break out the scrubbing bubbles to get some of the caked on grime off. But what I did was use a toothpick to gently remove the big chunks in sheets.
Then I did a few 3 minute cycles in the ultrasonic, then a couple minutes with the scrubbing bubbles with very LIGHT scrubbing with a toothbrush.
Then back in the cleaner. Once I got through the really thick stuff, the ultrasonic did its work.

Bear in mind, that is with ZERO polishing.

And, its still not perfect, there are some redish brown areas that might be old lacquer. I'll take some more detailed pics this weekend.

Top Bottom