What's new

Growing the deployment 'stache, looking for wax recommendations!

Greetings all,

I'm currently deployed to Guam and, in true aviator fashion, have decided to attempt a mustache to rival Robin Olds. As my mustache has grown, I've noticed two relatively disturbing trends. First, one side of my mustache likes to "droop" considerably while the other seems to like curling slightly upward. Second, (this may not be a huge issue, it seems fairly natural) the ends of my mustache don't like to stay together without some kind of product in my mustache.

I don't have any mustache wax; the only thing I have available at the moment is the American Crew pomade I use in my hair. It gets the mustache sleek but doesn't have the hold I need for problem #1. Also, I haven't had any problems but I've read that products for your head probably shouldn't be used on hair anywhere else (technique only?).

What waxes do you recommend for a nice firm hold and that will keep my ends tamed?

Cheers,
Kent

Welcome to B&B, the mustache and beard section. :)

Guam... so a fairly warm environment most times, and a bit humid as well, unless my geography is way off... so you'll be looking for something to hold up to warmth without melting and losing hold.

Others that have used it and like it for that will likely recommend one of the Got2B Glued hair spiking products rather than a traditional wax for that application. Not sure where you heard about not using hair products meant for the head on other hair, I haven't heard that before. I know several use the G2BG stuff for their mustache all the time. Hopefully a couple of those gents can weigh in on it's pros and cons for use in Guam. :)

The other option that I've had good luck with in the Summer here is Proraso mustache wax. It's a cream that really stiffens up to a good hold as it's worked in, and a little goes a pretty long way.

I know central Illinois is not Guam, but it does get very humid with temperatures in the 90's during our summers. I used Firehouse wax and found it be very good for hot humid weather. My biggest complaint is the lack of scent, but that's a plus for some.

+2 on the Firehouse Tacky. I am on my second tin of it.

I find it easy to apply, and it has very good hold in all types of weather,

Wacky Tacky doesn't hold up to 105+ degree kitchen heat. It doesn't do bad but G2BG glue after the wax will be good for a day or two unless I sleep on my face. I'm not a fan of the scent of glue. It smells like glue... It does fade so It doesn't long.

For a shorter service stash the Wacky Tacky would probably be fine. I'm trying to hold up some thin 2+ inch mustache sides.

Your NX/PX/MX might have some clubman wax but I doubt it. Check out some local drug stores as well. They might surprise you on shaving stuff too.

Thanks for the inputs. No Clubman wax on the island (that I've seen anyway) but we do have G2BG at the BX so I figure I'll give that a shot then maybe see about getting some Firehouse mailed out to me. Thanks again!

Top Bottom