What's new

Looking for Hair Tonic Recommendations

I'm looking for some recommendations on hair tonic. Back in the younger days I used gel to hold my hair - you know the kind that made your hair feel frozen in place. I progressively stepped "down" my hair glue, moving to lighter hold gel, then medium hold hair paste, to axe lightest hold hair paste. The thing is, I don't mind the light hold paste but I don't like how it tends to make my hair "greasy" by the end of the day. Recently I switched to Jeris but that's a step too far in its ability to control my hairstyle. I have hair that, with nothing in it, tends to have frizzy/fly aways. In certain areas some hair just stands straight up.

So I think I'm looking for a hair tonic with a small amount of oil that will smooth out my hair but still make it look natural. Something in between the axe lightest hold and Jeris and I think I'd be happy. I simply want a product that I can apply to my towel dry hair and go. What does everyone use and what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm looking for some recommendations on hair tonic. Back in the younger days I used gel to hold my hair - you know the kind that made your hair feel frozen in place. I progressively stepped "down" my hair glue, moving to lighter hold gel, then medium hold hair paste, to axe lightest hold hair paste. The thing is, I don't mind the light hold paste but I don't like how it tends to make my hair "greasy" by the end of the day. Recently I switched to Jeris but that's a step too far in its ability to control my hairstyle. I have hair that, with nothing in it, tends to have frizzy/fly aways. In certain areas some hair just stands straight up.

So I think I'm looking for a hair tonic with a small amount of oil that will smooth out my hair but still make it look natural. Something in between the axe lightest hold and Jeris and I think I'd be happy. I simply want a product that I can apply to my towel dry hair and go. What does everyone use and what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Reuzel spray grooming tonic works really well for my hair. Looks natural, keeps my hair decently parted. My hair does not stick together at all.

My dad used Wildroot and my Mom used VO5.

Perhaps you should consider not washing your hair (or using shampoo) so often and letting the natural oils do their thing. That's essentially what I did. My hair is manageable and silky soft. I haven't used soap of any kind in my hair in about 10 years, and I rinse it out (piping hot shower) every 2-4 days (or sooner if necessary) and wet it down to comb every morning and as needed. It took about a week for my scalp to stop freaking out, and I haven't looked back since. I have very thick hair and it always behaves and is soft.

The blue Reuzel would be good for what it sounds like you’re after.
The grooming tonic is good too but might is closer to a real light pomade.

Jeris with oil works well, but when I first apply it, it kind of smells like bug spray or something, though it tames down quick.

Clubman eau de quinine worked well for me and smells awesome, but it holds pretty much as much as the jeris(without oil).

Clubman pomade is actually really light hold and cheap for a huge tub, plus it smells like the classic AS.

Also maybe look into styling powders. I’ve used the uppercut brand once and it worked well.

You may also want to consider Vitalis. A little more hold than Jeris (without oil) and it leaves my hair pretty soft and not greasy. Or maybe a hair cream like Brylcreem if you want a step up from that..

Hello
If i want a light hold in my Hair without to much grease ich use a little bit of Brillantina Linetti italian Hairoil.Alsoi like the good old Vtalis and sometimes some drops of Vaseline Hair tonic.This are all fantastic products.

Top Bottom