What's new

Green Cult Steel Razor

Let's move this discussion to this post where we have also been talking:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Let's move this discussion to this post where we have also been talking:

I did PM Phil / @luvmysuper . I'll mention this idea to him. It makes sense.

Continuing our discussion here, instead of the post in the deals forum, let's post here from now on.

A continued thought about the Green Cult 2.0, from someone who hasn't yet mastered plate II. It seems the design starts with more blade exposure than the average razor. Here are the stats

plategap (mm)exposure (mm)
I0.450.05
II
III0.850.15
IV1.050.20

I am sure I can handle a 0.65mm gap, but the 0.1mm exposure on a heavy razor is more challenging. After using a lighter handle, I wasn't getting many weepers and I am sure I will tame it. But knowing what I do now, perhaps I should have opted for the I plate. Given the stats, plate I is probably mild-medium aggressiveness in the greater razor spectrum.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Continuing our discussion here, instead of the post in the deals forum, let's post here from now on.

A continued thought about the Green Cult 2.0, from someone who hasn't yet mastered plate II. It seems the design starts with more blade exposure than the average razor. Here are the stats

I0.450.05
II
III0.850.15
IV1.050.20
I am sure I can handle a 0.65mm gap, but the 0.1mm exposure on a heavy razor is more challenging. After using a lighter handle, I wasn't getting many weepers and I am sure I will tame it. But knowing what I do now, perhaps I should have opted for the I plate. Given the stats, plate I is probably mild-medium aggressiveness in the greater razor spectrum.
I think @luvmysuper will join the two threads... I didn't suggest which one should remain. Since there are three versions still current, it makes sense to just this one. I'll add a note to the PM.

And btw, you have a PM as well.

I0.450.05
II
III0.850.15
IV1.050.20

Maybe as a reference point (or not) the Timeless .95 has positive exposure of .002” or .005mm. The .68 has neutral blade exposure. I consider the .95 to be right in the middle of mild and effective. The level II is very ok for me at this moment - I feel it’s comfortable and smooth without overly blade feel. I am curious for level III. The GC1 also has .95 but with an exposure of .25mm.

Cheers,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got my second shave in around 10AM with the Green Cult 2.0 Level 1. It provided a very pleasant shave. As I noted last time, I think I'll see whiskers show up earlier with the Level 1 than the Level 2, but I'll confirm that when I use the Level 2 base plate for my next shave and time the difference.

I do think the Level 1 and Level 2 are around a half a step from each other in efficiency, at least, in my terms and on the whiskers on my face. I don't think I'd characterize them as dramatically different but I do think the Level 1 will provide a more mild shave that might work for both people who shave daily and for those whose who need a more mild shave for skin conditions, etc.

I'm in a bit of a minority when it comes to the Level 3 base plate. For me, it was quite a bit more "aggressive" or more "efficient". It was slightly less smooth for me as well. I'd call it a full step of extra efficiency for my whiskers/face. @LRod didn't notice much difference at all. A couple other people said they preferred the Level 3 plate. That's why some manufacturers give us a choice. The 4 levels of efficiency should cover over 80% or so of possible users. Where did I get that number? You can guess... since that's what I'm doing. <eg>

Edit: I think it would benefit us if we knew who is shaving their whole face and neck.. who has facial hair and/or a beard., who shaves their head as well. I don't notice the increased efficiency on my cheeks all that often. It's the easiest part of my face to shave. Some people use a two pass shave, some a three, some avoid ATG at all costs. All these factor into what kind of razor we like and/or need.

I'll start. I have old man, thick whiskers that are fairly dense and that dull an AC blade in 6 shaves, not the 10 or 12 shaves some people get. I only get 2 shaves from my DE blades, though it has been suggested, if I adjust my technique, I could improve on that. I shave my whole face and the front and sides of my neck. I don't shave my head. I do a three pass shave but can reduce that to two with some of my razors. In that case, I have to do some touch-ups usually. My problem areas are my chin and upper lip. I do a fair amount of skin prep and I have found that beneficial. That might be enough for now.

Last edited:
Edit: I think it would benefit us if we knew who is shaving their whole face and neck.. who has facial hair and/or a beard., who shaves their head as well. I don't notice the increased efficiency on my cheeks all that often. It's the easiest part of my face to shave. Some people use a two pass shave, some a three, some avoid ATG at all costs. All these factor into what kind of razor we like and/or need.
I have a goatee (as of now) & my whiskers grow out rough. Like hard wire! So I shave around my goatee but when I get bored I take it off and go back to shaving my whole face.
Full head of hair (for now)!
And if I ever go bald, I wouldn't ever shave my head. I'd probably do something like Hair club for men, Lol!!
I shave every night using 2 passes WTG/XTG and my DE blades are replaced after 3 shaves whether they're still good or not. The AC blades last me around 7 shaves.

I’m preferring the level III plate at the moment. I’m a daily face shaver with a goatee. My whiskers are a mix of grey and brown and not overly coarse. I always say I have a fairly normal beard that grows fast enough to shave every day. My skin is not overly sensitive.

Thx, Larry. My chin and upper lip are where my beard is the most dense and both areas have odd growth patterns.
My whole facial hair is dense. I don't think I have any weird growth patterns though. It all grows out pretty evenly with the exception of a small spot on the left (chin) side of my goatee. I use that spot as the test bed for all my razors.
It seems like I have to do some extra buffing there with some razors. It also grows faster in that spot. If a razor gets rid of it in one pass, it's very efficient. So far my top 5 are the only ones that have been able to tackle that spot effortlessly.

I shave face and neck daily. I have I guess medium thick black and gray beard, soul patch is like a gray wire brush if left uncut for over a day. Only prep is a warm wash cloth, skin isn't really sensitive.
I do 2 passes atg/xtg. The xtg is really another atg for the different direction of the hair growth. I usually use the blade for 7 days, I might be able to get more but it makes it an easy routine.
I can use either 3 or 4 daily, I want to say I prefer the 3 but both plates work great for me.

I don’t think they will move too polished, but it is relatively easy to get some shine on the razor by hand polishing it. No mirror polish but at least the bead blade look is gone in mine.

Back Roads Gold are polishing razors to a very high degree for only $30. So if any of your favorite razors need polishing, I think it's well worth it. I've polished my Blackland Dart and the head of my Karve Overlander (and also replated it) and they both look fantastic.

Back Roads Gold are polishing razors to a very high degree for only $30. So if any of your favorite razors need polishing, I think it's well worth it. I've polished my Blackland Dart and the head of my Karve Overlander (and also replated it) and they both look fantastic.
Not to change from GC but I ordered an Overlander and this is something I have thought about. Perhaps I will send to Chris Spencer to make it beautiful.

Not to change from GC but I ordered an Overlander and this is something I have thought about. Perhaps I will send to Chris Spencer to make it beautiful.

The reason why I did it, it's because a lot of people find the Overlander to have a dragging feeling, since the brass isn't polished, but other than that they really like it and seeing how most people choose to send it to someone to polish it and then replate it, I've decided to do the same, but I've only replated the head, since I don't care about the handle. The other thing is that I don't like brass razors without any plating on them. The stench of the bare brass is driving me nuts.

The reason why I did it, it's because a lot of people find the Overlander to have a dragging feeling, since the brass isn't polished, but other than that they really like it and seeing how most people choose to send it to someone to polish it and then replate it, I've decided to do the same, but I've only replated the head, since I don't care about the handle. The other thing is that I don't like brass razors without any plating on them. The stench of the bare brass is driving me nuts.
I’ve now ordered the Green Cult as well (FOMO). Perhaps I’ll package that and the Overlander, assuming they do well in preliminary use, for beautification.

Top Bottom