What's new

Green Cult Steel Razor

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a lovely shave today with the Level 2 plate. My experiments with the Green Cult 2.0 are concluded. The Level 1 plate provides a nice, mild shave: similar to my Blutt BR-1 with the .86 base plate. That makes the Level 1 plate a bit redundant for me so I passed it along. You'll be hearing about its use soon from another valued member here. ;)

The Level 3 base plate is just a bit too much for me. I don't need that efficiency for my face and whiskers. For me, the extra blade feel isn't as smooth as the Level 2. Several of you didn't notice much difference between the Level 2 and Level 3 but I sure did. I won't be experimenting with the Level 4. I do wonder, though, if what @Mr. Shavington has noticed with his Wolfman razors: the middle gaps don't work as well for him as the lower end (.95) and the much higher gap (1.55) could be the case with the Green Cult Level plates available. Maybe the Level 3 plate is in the no-man-zone for me but the Level 4 would be perfect with a steeper shaving angle. I noticed again today: I don't seem to pay much attention to the razor head/handle angle. I start steep and raise the handle until the sound and feel are "just right". I think with the Level 2 plate I end up with a more neutral razor head/handle angle but I don't pay attention that closely. I simply "shave" as I listen to the auditory feedback and face feel.

No one ever taught me to shave. My dad shaved with an electric and my grandfather and I never discussed shaving. My wife's grandfather, the first time I met him, took me aside and showed me how he rubbed in the canned shaving cream (not goo, but actual shaving foam) with his fingers. He told me, that was the secret to a great shave: rubbing the soap in and giving it enough time to soften the whiskers. I do that now with the pre-shave I'm using that day and use the brush to scrub in the lather, not simply painting it on. It seems to work for me. ;)

Maybe the Level 3 plate is in the no-man-zone for me but the Level 4 would be perfect with a steeper shaving angle.
Kim, I do recall you really liking the Blutt 1.20?
So maybe it's kind of the same case here with the GC. The 3 plate in the GC is my least liked. So much so that I'll probably sell it. The 2 plate rules for daily use and the 4 plate for multi day growth. The 3 plate to me is useless!
And based on your assessment of the 1 plate, I'd probably never try it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Excellent Kim! I will be shaving with the Level 2 tomorrow. Level 3 is on my buy list, but I am currently in restraint. But these will be available. Right? :eek2:
Guido, I'm not sure about the long term availability of the different level plates. That might be a good question for the people who have been following the Green Cult models: 1.0, 1.1. Both are still available at the moment. Perhaps the different level plates for the 2.0 will be around for quite some time. I would just be guessing. If I were you, I think I'd avoid the Level 3 plate and get the Level 4, if you want to test the waters. I know you like the R41.. the Level 4 might be like that for you. I have the Level 3 plate but I doubt I'll ever use it again: like @LRod . It wasn't smooth for me like the Level 1 or Level 2. I realize, I'm just guessing here.

@JAHE 's shaves with the Level 4 base plate might give you a decent take on how you'd experience the Level 4 plate for yourself. I don't know for sure, but I think I'm learning a bit more about what @JAHE likes/needs in a razor. We've chatted about the RR SuperSlant recently and I read all his posts. We are all so different, it is important to learn the things we have in common and where we differ for a variety of reasons. @JAHE , I hope I can get great shaves from the Wolfman WR2 .95 I'll get in a month or so. It should prove interesting.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Kim, I do recall you really liking the Blutt 1.20?
So maybe it's kind of the same case here with the GC. The 3 plate in the GC is my least liked. So much so that I'll probably sell it. The 2 plate rules for daily use and the 4 plate for multi day growth. The 3 plate to me is useless!
And based on your assessment of the 1 plate, I'd probably never try it.
@LRod , the Blutt BR-1 1.20 was the first modern razor I bought. After using it for a few shaves, I decided to avoid using my lovely replated Vintage Gillette England razors to keep them pristine for resale. The Blutt 1.20 was just a half step up in efficiency from the Claymore Evolution. The Green Cult 2.0 with the Level 1 plate is similar to the Blutt .86: 10 hour shaves instead of 12. I would characterize the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 plate as giving similar results with the Blutt 1.20. I think both the Green Cult 2.0 Level 1 and the Blutt .86 are those "mindless" razors....some people call them autopilot. The Overlander is often included in that category. I found the Claymore Evolution in that same camp as soon as I adjusted to the longer AC blade.

All the razors I'm using are in that same genre, if you will: mild but efficient. None of my top razors are "aggressive" or "very efficient". I don't seem to require that. I'm keeping the .86 base plate for the Blutt just in case I need a mild razor for some reason. I consider the Claymore Evo as a mild razor as well. I've used it a total of almost 7 months out of my 12 months of wet shaving. It is still a lovely razor but I prefer that half step up in efficiency now.

You might have to reread this post a few times because I can't seem to make it read coherently at the moment. I've rewritten some of the sentences a few times and I'm still unsure this post is very clear. If you are having trouble following my musings, it isn't you.... it's me. Feel free to ask for clarification. ;)

I will add this... I had used the Claymore Evolution for 5 plus months.. then I got an England Flat Bottom Tech and used it a few times. I got decent shaves with it but not on the level I was getting from the Claymore. I figured it was my technique and I'm sure that is true, to some extent. Then we left for Bali and I took the Claymore.......... 4 more weeks with the Claymore. When we got back, my Blutt BR-1 1.20 was waiting for me.... on the very first downward stroke, it was like love at first sight. It felt so smooth and comfortable, yet closer than the Claymore Evo. I was hooked... all my current top razors have been the exact same way.. no effort... just smooth, comfortable 12 hour first shaves as well as the subsequent shaves.

If I were you, I think I'd avoid the Level 3 plate and get the Level 4, if you want to test the waters. I know you like the R41.. the Level 4 might be like that for you.
Thanks Kim, appreciate it. The 1.0 had a .95 gap with .25 exposure and sits right between III and IV. It is unobtainium, but fellow brother Jack knew me better than I myself because he purchased one in advance with I can acquire from him upon request (for now I will continue to show restraint…). How cool is that! That might be my first port of call. If it is anything like my Ti95 (same gap but much much less positive exposure) it will be a dream to shave with. Level II is up in about 6 hours.

Cheers,

Guido

Thanks Kim, appreciate it. The 1.0 had a .95 gap with .25 exposure and sits right between III and IV. It is unobtainium, but fellow brother Jack knew me better than I myself because he purchased one in advance with I can acquire from him upon request (for now I will continue to show restraint…). How cool is that! That might be my first port of call. If it is anything like my Ti95 (same gap but much much less positive exposure) it will be a dream to shave with. Level II is up in about 6 hours.

Cheers,

Guido
Guido, I can tell you from experience that the GC 1.0 is more aggressive than the Timeless 95. I could not shave daily with the 1.0 but have no issue daily shaving with a 95 Timeless….can even shave daily with the OC Ti Slim with no issues. The GC 1.0 was too much for me. Maybe good for you as I’m sure our faces are different. I equate the 1.0 to the R41….a little on the rough side but shaves super close.

Now I will say level III GC 2.0 is a pleasure to shave with daily. I actually prefer it to the level II plate. No way I’m going to get the level IV plate as I know it will be too much. GC makes nice razors for the money, but I find the 2.0 more to my liking.

I am the incredibly lucky recipient of @Phoenixkh's generosity! He was kind enough to give me his plate I, taking pity on my struggles with plate II. I am so touched by this, thank you, Kim!

I had a first shave with the plate I this morning. I need many more to get a full opinion, but I wanted to share my very preliminary thoughts. I really like it so far. It is more along the lines of what I imagined the Green Cult to be, based on how you all described it. But that is because we all have our own internal aggressiveness scales. Obviously Green Cult has their own scale too. Many brands lowest model has a negative or neutral blade exposure and it ramps up from there. Green Cult starts higher. I'd say that plate I is a mild-medium, at least by some standards.

Because of the blade exposure and the weight, the Green Cult plate II is one of my more aggressive razors. I have some that weigh as much or some that have that exposure, but not both. So I was getting a couple/few weepers. Nothing too bad, but it wasn't a mindless shave for me. I had to concentrate to offset that weight and the exposure meant more bladefeel for me than any of my other razors.

Plate I is much easier for me. I don't know if I would call it mindless, we shall see. But the bladefeel is less and I could relax more. I realized something else I was doing wrong... In trying to reduce the weight by using a Timeless Ti Crown handle, I was probably making things worse by making it more top heavy. Today I used the stock handle and gripped it up near the head. At the balance point where the handle can counterbalance the weight of the head. You all probably knew that, but I hadn't used a heavy razor with a prominent exposure before.

So I've already learned a lot about how to tame the Green Cult and corrected a gap in my shaving technique. With plate I, the effective angle is narrower than II, which is logical. So I will keep shaving with it to get to know it better. I am sure I will like this razor and once I lock in the technique for plate I, I'll give plate II another try. I bet I'll be able to unlock that one as well. Thank you, Kim, not only did you give me a plate that I like, it will let me grow into a more aggressive one and you helped me discover a problem in my use of heavy razors!

Thanks! Again super helpful input.

I equate the 1.0 to the R41….a little on the rough side but shaves super close.
I love the R41 so that is nice! But your comment on the Timeless is duly noted too.
Now I will say level III GC 2.0 is a pleasure to shave with daily. I actually prefer it to the level II plate.
As always YMMV, I know, and only one way to know for sure.

Guido

Date02.03.2023
365 days of shaving61/365 (100%)
GRUYERE61/365 (100%)
GRUME March02/31 (100%)
03/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • Soap of the Month Club (SOTMC)

RazorBladeBrush
Green Cult 2.0 level II /w Lasta Blue handleEddison (10)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashMike’s Barbershop
Proraso Green
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.75/10 (DFS+++/BBS-)9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

I loaded the Eddison in the GC2 for today's shave. This razor deserves a sharp blade. The Eddison going on 10 shaves still delivers a marvellous performance. The shave is comfortable, smotth and the blade gets the job done. The results from this blade by the way are not as long lasting as the post shave result would expect you to believe (at least not me anyway).

The GC2 has positive blade exposure of .10mm with a gap of .65mm and yet it feels mild to the skin. I hardly notice any blade feel. That said the aftershave sting this morning tells me is was an extremely close shave. Exfoliating close. The Lasta Blue Handle is lighter and shorter than the OEM one and makes the razor more nimble. I will place the OEM handle back to note any differences in shaving later this week.

Further details and more can be found in my journal here.

A very fine shave. Enjoy yours!

Does anyone have experience with the Edwin Jagger DE89 and the Greencult 2.0? Trying to determine which base plate would be comparable to what de89. Thanks in advance.

Is there an easy way to distinguish the V1 from the V1.1 just by looking at them? I came across what appears to be a V1 and the details are matching with the specs of the V1, but I'm still not 100% convinced.

Is there an easy way to distinguish the V1 from the V1.1 just by looking at them? I came across what appears to be a V1 and the details are matching with the specs of the V1, but I'm still not 100% convinced.
Yes there is. The v1 baseplate has holes all the way through to accommodate for the cap‘s pins. With the v1.1 that is not the case.

And I believe the v1 handle has a logo on the bottom whereas the v1.1 has not.

Can you confirm @Contact_vs_Feedback? I remember (maybe incorrectly) that you have both?

Guido

Green Cult razors deserve more attention. They represent an outstanding value considering their stellar performance and reasonable price.
I have the GC 2.0 with lvlII and lvlIV plates. I concur with the opinions already shared. II is ideal for daily shaving and provides a smooth and efficient result. For me it's comparable to Karve Overlander, CG lvl2, Tatara Masumune plus if that existed.
IV is an R41 but much more forgiving ie user friendly. It's comparable to Tatara Nodachi, CG lvl3.
I also have the GC 1.1. It's similar to GC 2.0 lvlII in my experience.
Superb razors at a very reasonable price.

Green Cult razors deserve more attention. They represent an outstanding value considering their stellar performance and reasonable price.
I have the GC 2.0 with lvlII and lvlIV plates. I concur with the opinions already shared. II is ideal for daily shaving and provides a smooth and efficient result. For me it's comparable to Karve Overlander, CG lvl2, Tatara Masumune plus if that existed.
IV is an R41 but much more forgiving ie user friendly. It's comparable to Tatara Nodachi, CG lvl3.
I also have the GC 1.1. It's similar to GC 2.0 lvlII in my experience.
Superb razors at a very reasonable price.
Excellent information and intell. I am a fan of the R41 and was not sure if the IV would be up my alley (I have the II), but you comparing them head on makes me want it more. So no need to go level III for you then I guess?

Guido

Excellent information and intell. I am a fan of the R41 and was not sure if the IV would be up my alley (I have the II), but you comparing them head on makes me want it more. So no need to go level III for you then I guess?

Guido
I've not tried the III but based on other comments, I won't bother. III seems 'neither here nor there'.

Top Bottom