What's new

Granite countertop: How to Seal and Protect

Hi everyone.
I would appreciate suggestions on how to protect our kitchen countertop.Any item left on the wet granite countertop leaves a stain. I’m not sure if this is common but I’m hoping my friends here at B&B can help.
Thank you
Paul

This is a great article by the Bob Vila guys on sealing granite countertops.
Worth a read!

Thank you Phil! It is a fantastic article! I'm going to follow his process and will report back on it.

Paul

Last edited:
This is a great article by the Bob Vila guys on sealing granite countertops.
Worth a read!

Hmmm...might have to try the "water and oil" test on ours. I'm assuming the oil is corn/canola/vegetable/olive.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am in the midst of cleaning the grout in our bathroom floor, a square yard at a time. Lots of small marble tiles. My knees hate me.

Seal granite countertop? I had granite for 10 years and never did anything special to it like sealing it. Not saying you don't need to seal it, but from my experience I didn't have any problems. I don't have kids so maybe my wife and I were less messy.

OMG OMG OMG my niece is OCD!! I was at her house one day for about 3 to 4 hours and i kid you not, she washed cleaned polished that freakin granite benchtop 4 times an hour.
I checked it to see if it was dished out after she left the room, i was expecting to see it worn down?
If granite stands up to her, there must be finished granite and unfinished granite if your stains?

I know it’s hard not to overthink something that is a big expense. We’ve got black leathered granite countertops and a serpentine marble island. They look the same as they did when they were installed 10 years ago. They seal them when they cut them, and we haven’t done anything to them except the housekeepers put a light coat of olive oil on the black stuff when they come.

Top Bottom