What's new

Grammar goofs and syntax slips

This doesn't belong in either the "irritating phrases" thread or the "words I'd rather not hear again" thread, but it's similar.
I'm talking about the basic use of English: grammar and syntax.
One error I hear all the time -- from British people as well as Americans -- is this:

"Please respond to Jim and I."
"That's a question for my wife and I."

No. Just because there are two people does not mean that you should use "I" here. It's still a prepositional phrase.

Leave the other person out, or flip the phrase around, and it becomes clear what's correct: "me".

What other such errors do you encounter?

The mix up of "your" and "you're" kills me... Drives me crazy!!!

"When your eating cookies I get hungry" NOOOOOO!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Luckily I stopped by Subway this morning and got cookies. Time to heal.

Not knowing the difference between "effect" and "affect".

people who type incredibly long sentences who dont use any punctuation upper or lower case even where they should like in this example see how its really annoying.

Basic spelling -- come on people, all modern browsers have a spell-checker. Use it!

And although it's "technically" correct as a secondary definition, it annoys me when people use "presently" to mean "right now". Presently means in a little while, as in "Mr. Jones will be with you presently." Mr. Jones should not be presently in his office on the phone, unless you mean he will be arriving to take a phone call any moment now.

Oxford comma -- there are two schools of thought on its use, but I think it just makes sense.
$Oxford.jpg

Oxford comma -- there are two schools of thought on its use, but I think it just makes sense.

I didn't know it was called the Oxford comma. Mark me down as being pro Oxford comma. I like to see a comma separate all the items in a list. When I'm reading along and I see a list like "A, B, C, D and E", I automatically think that D and E make up one item that has the word "and" in it. I then expect the list to continue after E.

Assuming D and E are two distinct things, it makes it much clearer if the list is formed: "A, B, C, D, and E".

Car buffs who advertise a car as "needs restored".....What the hell does that mean ?..the cars needs have been restored ?...needs restoration ??

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
And although it's "technically" correct as a secondary definition, it annoys me when people use "presently" to mean "right now". Presently means in a little while, as in "Mr. Jones will be with you presently." Mr. Jones should not be presently in his office on the phone, unless you mean he will be arriving to take a phone call any moment now.
]

I am quite sure you can use 'presently' either way.

To mean right now or in a short time

Both usages would be correct

"I would of done that" and "She's prettier then you" and "I could care less" and "For all intensive purposes..." and, I'm sure, many more.

People who don't know the difference between lend and borrow or bring and take really get my goat. Using ultimate to mean best instead of last is equally annoying and all too common. Singers that cover the song, Can't Take My Eyes Off You and sing "can't take my eyes off of you" make me want to spit (although I believe it was the composer who first made that mistake).

Last edited:
I have become so used to other's improper, or even lousy grammar, but one thing that will forever drive me insane is when I'll send a text out and get back the whole, "OMG, LOL! tHt wAs awfullll!!! Srsly, wot was Gr8 about it? FML"

I have become so used to other's improper, or even lousy grammar, but one thing that will forever drive me insane is when I'll send a text out and get back the whole, "OMG, LOL! tHt wAs awfullll!!! Srsly, wot was Gr8 about it? FML"

I don't like receiving texts even if they are grammatically perfect. As I'm not on a contract, sending me a text means I have to pay to answer it, which is annoying in itself. Secondly, I'm not a 17-year-old girl - pick up the phone and call me! It's much quicker than texting anyway. Apologies for off topic rant - LOL, PMSL. :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"Burglerized".

No, your house was burgled. They took your tv, your i-phone, your vintage razor collection ... but there's no way they took your copy of "Modern English Useage" ... so you gots no excuse.

Well, if'n that ain't aren't the isn't.

They ain't never no such thing.

You're and Your bother me too.

People used to understand that much better ... in days of you're.

Top Bottom