What's new

Got to use a NEW for the first time today, interesting story

Fairly long story. I have been looking for a NEW and was about to bid on a Bostonian on Ebay this week, also had been looking for a 1918 khaki set too. I went to my folks place this week for a visit. I had randomly mentioned that I was about to bid on a razor, and that I was also looking for a 1918 set. Dad collects WWI and WWII stuff. He then says "Hey, I have a WWI razor set, it's made by Gillette.". Wow. So, trying to curb my excitement I asked him if I could use it for a shave. He gets it out and tells me that I can never sell it. Of course you could understand why.

I have been to the Mr Razor site a few times so I have some limited knowledge of what is in a set. Anyhow he gets it out and the first thing I notice is the gold head and slot instead of two posts. Of course we all know what that is, USA stamped. And the handle was nothing I had ever seen before. After looking some, the handle was from the 20's vest pocket model, all plating gone. From what I could tell the only thing that was standard issue was the khaki soft case, and even then I could not figure out the year since the flap only had one snap, and all the pics if soft cases I have seen have two snaps.

I told him the bad news, and he was a little disappointed. He said he would take it back and I told him that was okay, the razor will still shave just fine. I want it to use, not to collect. Now I need to find him a true 1918 set that is all correct, that would rock for a gift. And I am gonna get the head replated and spin a stainless handle on the lathe.

THE SHAVE! Loaded a fresh 7 O clock yellow and rocked the Cella and MWF superlather (don't know if you can call it a super since they are technically both soaps...) and had a very nice shave after sitting in the car for 10 hours driving home. I love how the OC lets some lather get right up to the blade, felt a lot smoother and closer than the CC Merkur I have. However, I very much dislike the handle cause it is so thin up to the head. That can be corrected though. Who knows. Maybe instead of spinning a handle I could find a beater NEW with a tore up head for a couple bucks and can the handle from it.

Top Bottom