What's new

Got my first G-Shock! Anybody else into rubbery watches?

The title says it all. Here it is, along with the Old Spice Fresh I got as an early b-day present.

View attachment 225730

My other watch is a big (kinda) Fossil with a metal band, so I'm having a great time with this lightweight one. I hit it on a wall pretty hard yesterday and spilled coffee on it today. Either of those would have had me freaking out before, but not with the G-Shock! Anybody else happy to have a watch like this one?

I love my Gshock, I usually only wear it in the summer being that its bright green...!

$g-shock-earth-day-2010-pack-06.jpg

They are durable watches, great for active weekend wear. I have owned a couple of them. Here is one I currently wear.

Attachments

• $Screen shot 2012-03-03 at 9.50.37 PM.jpg
    $Screen shot 2012-03-03 at 9.50.37 PM.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 181
Ah, the G-Shock! A truly wonderful piece of Japanese engineering which thumbs its nose at "Those (Damned) Swiss"!
I love them......
and hate them...
Depending in the mood I'm in.
I've got a G5600A and a 75 something something. I've been pining for an MT-G or Geiz for over a year.....whilst buying other watches!
Ideally I want someone to buy all my current stock from me so I can have only a Geiz. But I know I'd buy something else after a few months.
I had no idea just how tough these things are until I started researching them. It REALLY doesn't matter how much you spend on a mechanical watch, nothing is even nearly as tough as a G.
I would say those larger models do have far more glass to get damaged. If you want the toughest of the toughest, get a Mudman. Only a GX model is tougher and that looks stupid to me. I've had two and will be getting another very soon (the others were given as gifts)

I've been wearing these since the early '80s when I first remember seeing them. Awesome stuff. The one I wear now is similar to Quigg's but all black.
There are so many styles now I can't even keep track. All of the pics in this thread look great...the OP's, the neon green--and Xillion, now I may have to look around for a GA100. Love that one.

I bought one on a whim from a guy and know next to nothing about it. Glad they are so well respected.

Ah, the G-Shock! A truly wonderful piece of Japanese engineering which thumbs its nose at "Those (Damned) Swiss"!
I love them......
and hate them...
Depending in the mood I'm in.
I've got a G5600A and a 75 something something. I've been pining for an MT-G or Geiz for over a year.....whilst buying other watches!
Ideally I want someone to buy all my current stock from me so I can have only a Geiz. But I know I'd buy something else after a few months.
I had no idea just how tough these things are until I started researching them. It REALLY doesn't matter how much you spend on a mechanical watch, nothing is even nearly as tough as a G.
I would say those larger models do have far more glass to get damaged. If you want the toughest of the toughest, get a Mudman. Only a GX model is tougher and that looks stupid to me. I've had two and will be getting another very soon (the others were given as gifts)

I'm wearing a Casio "Forester" that I bought last summer while at the beach and needed a watch I could wear into the water AND had the illuminator dial so I could check the time while in bed. It cost me $22 and the acrylic crystal got badly scratched by the ocean sand the first day I wore it.

Anyway, it's not a G Shock but it has a similar appearance. To tell you the truth, I don't like the look AT ALL. I'm wearing it because my Mako is having a new crystal installed. But if I needed a truly indestructible watch for outdoors activity or if I worked in a factory environment or something I'd probably be more comfortable with the appearance.

Wear one myself.
I'm a traffic signal tech and I need atomic-clock accuracy for maintaining the date/time on the controllers.

Since my wrist is too small for an atomic clock, and cellphones don't display seconds, my logical choice was a Gshock atomic.
Solar is a plus.

I'm combing eBay in an attempt to get a good deal on a Movado 800 Series with the ThermoResin band. For some reason I love that watch, but I'm also cheap and dont' want to spend a ton on it.

I have a solar powered, radio controlled G-Shock and love it. Never have to change the battery and always shows the right time. Hopefully it will last me a loooooooooong time.

PS DE_Dude - Nice avatar. I love River City Ransom and best game from my childhood ever.

+1
I can well understand someone not wanting one and preferring the elegance of something more, well, elegant. But I'd go so far as to say that if you don't have an enormous respect for G-Shock as an engineering solution, you are not a watchguy.

I've had various G-Shock watches for the last 10 years and they are certainly quality time pieces. Most of them are not the most elegant watches but they get the job done. I have beaten mine into the ground and my only complaint is the band gives out eventually.

I like G-Shocks. I wear them when I can. Usually for swimming, exercising or yard work. What a wonderful versatile watch.

My son preferred G-Shocks when he was deployed.

Top Bottom