What's new

Reef Point Soaps

I ordered these soaps about two months ago and have used them enough to give a reasonable review of my experience with them.

I found the Reef Point Soap Company by accident when I was looking for a leather soap scent for my collection. (For some reason nautical themed shaving soap stood out to me, but I have no idea why because Sailors, Fishermen and, Pirates are not known for shaving). I ordered and received a sample of every one of his scents except for Command Presence, Barbershop, and Tranquility. I have plenty of barbershop scents and I am not interested in another one ATT. As for Command Presence and Tranquility I am waiting for Reef Point to restock the scents.

$Reef Point Soaps small.jpg

Over All:
- The performance is outstanding. I almost dropped my razor in the shower because the soap was so slick. I would rate the performance equal to or better than Arko. Arko is a great inexpensive soap, the only problem is it only come in laundry detergent scent. Watch “Nick Shaves” YouTube review on Reef Point soap performance. Nick is very critical of poor performing soaps and will not use the soap if it does not lather to his standards. I thought he was going in to a frenzy because the soap lathered so well.

- The sample sizes where large enough to get quite a few shaves out of and have a good idea how well the full priced product would perform.

- I would give the scent a medium to strong staying power compared to other brands. Staying power is subjective. Personally, I like soaps with a strong staying power so I can catch whiffs of it through the day.

- The scent of the soap in the tin is mostly the same as the scent when shaving with them which is not always the case with other shaving soaps.

- The non-sample soaps come in a 4oz large plastic container for about $14.

Scents: (Scents are very subjective it is good to get a sample first to figure out if it is for you)

Admiralty – My favorite scent from Reef Point. It smells citricy with a hint of classic barbershop.

Aviator – My wife’s favorite sent. She said it gives me a leather “new car” sent which I’m unsure how to respond. As for me it is the leather sent I was searching for and it is in my top 10 soaps with Admiralty.

Dragons Blood – A very interesting scent. I smells to me like a candle made of Indian incents and tangerine. One of the stronger scented samples I received.

Earl Grey and Ginger – If you are a bald star trek fan this is a must have soap. I don’t think there were many episodes where Captain Picard didn’t have a cup of Earl Grey tea. Excellent ginger tea scent, but one of the weaker scents.

Espresso – This one is not lying, it smells like very strong coffee. If you are addicted to coffee this soap is for you. One of the stronger scented samples I received like Dragons Blood.

Fougere Santal – Decent scent like sandalwood and candle wax. I’ve been looking for a good sandalwood but I have not found exactly what I am looking for yet. This one comes close.

Submariner – Fortunately this doesn’t smell like a Submariner fresh of a 6 month tour. They comeback with some weird distinct funky smell. At least the ones that I knew did. It does however have a very unique scent somewhat sweet vanilla/apple/barbershop. This was my fourth favorite scent from Reef Point.

Test Depth – This is my third favorite sent from Reef Point. Somewhat difficult to describe. Sort of a fruity/classic barbershop scent.

Pros
Performance – As I said, watch Nick Shaves review. You can’t get many soaps that perform to his standard

Customer service – I originally ordered samples from this site because of the leather scent. I got so excited about the other scents I forgot to order the leather one. Also, I fat fingered may address. Eric from Reef Point emailed me and told me he could not find my address on the postal site he was using. I emailed him back with the correct address and asked if he could add an Aviator sample to my order. He responded back saying he would get my order out right away and throw in some Aviator for me.

Staying power – This is subjective I’ve read reviewers that do not want to smell their soap after they leave the shower and others that what to reek of their shave soap all day. These soap rate at a medium high which is good for me.

Matching aftershave and balms! – If I find a top 10 soap I want a matching aftershave to give it more staying power. Reef Point Soaps not only has matching aftershave it has matching balms! Plus you can get unscented balm to use with your other soaps. Does anyone make an unscented aftershave? I’m a balm fan because they keep my shin from drying out--I live in the high desert. A pomade would give Reef Point a full house.

Cons
- It took me a few minutes to figure out how to use the samples because they are a square piece of soap in a wax paper bag. I started by nuking one bar into a coffee mug. Later, I found some metal tins I had for grill spices and mushed the rest of the bars in to the tins. Maybe if the samples came in petri dishes?

- All soaps are tallow based so the vegans might get upset.

- The hand soaps do not come in matching scents to the shaving soaps.

- Mentholated balm – with the unscented balm you can choose to get menthol free. Unfortunately you do not get the same option with any other scent.

- I really just needed one bar to test out the performance. A scent pack in a pill blister pack would serve to sample the smell of the other scents.

- Limited distribution. I like to buy my products on Amazon so I don’t have to give my credentials to everyone on the web. Somewhat subjective I sure many like to work directly with the small business.

- What’s up with all the goodie two shoe scents. He needs a scoundrel sent like a pirate scent that has tobacco, black tea, eucalyptus and other counter bands.

Summary: I found reef point soaps to be a high performance shaving soap with unique scents. I was happy with the Reef Point samples I tried.

- Maximus
(I used a Merkur 34C/G razor, Persona and Feather blades, a Semogue 830 brush and a Walmart salsa dish as a lather bowl for this test)

Excellent soaps! Sadly I have only tried two. Aviator and Earl Grey and Ginger. Aviator to me smells like a leather jacket! :thumbup1:
Hmmm I must get some more at some point....

I love Reef Point Soaps. They last and last and I am fond of most all their scents. They lather like crazy in my experience.

I started out with their Dragon's Blood. Back then I didn't know they had a AS to match. So, now am somewhat kicking myself to go back and buy some. In other words love RP.

Excellent review. I had a puck purchased at one point but then got an email that I was refunded because they had actually ran out. (I did not place order at Reef Point)

After your review maybe it is time to place another order and try again. The scent I was going for wa Aviator

They are very good, and the balms are excellent.

Good point about the menthol, but it is very light in the balm I have (Earl Grey).

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Nice review. I have the Dragons Blood soap and splash set. It's very nice and smells great. My only slight complaint is that the splash doesn't seem to have any soothing ingredients like witch hazel or aloe, or anything else. Just alcohol and fragrance as far as I can tell. So,I don't reach for it as often as I should.

nice. I liked how you mentioned your equipment too at the end. My reviews consist of mainly "I don't like it" or " I do like it". Good job. I will be adding them to my list of things to try.

Reef Point seems to be very similar in composition and texture to Barrister & Mann to me. I often wondered if there is even some collaborative connection between the two, but probably not. I get very similar performance but I also seem to get a few more shaves per ounce of soap. Performance is excellent in all categories, post shave is decent, and I enjoy the scents I have tried. Reef Point is currently in my top 10 and I enjoy it very much.

Fortunately this doesn’t smell like a Submariner fresh of a 6 month tour.They comeback with some weird distinct funky smell.

The distinct funk is from the chemistry in the atmosphere control equipment... That and hydraulic oil... =)

Nice write up on Reef Points!

Reef Point seems to be very similar in composition and texture to Barrister & Mann to me. I often wondered if there is even some collaborative connection between the two, but probably not. I get very similar performance but I also seem to get a few more shaves per ounce of soap. Performance is excellent in all categories, post shave is decent, and I enjoy the scents I have tried. Reef Point is currently in my top 10 and I enjoy it very much.

Just used RP Barbershop today. It really is like B&M. Good catch. Could never tell them apart in a blind test (except for scent).

Reef Point makes some great products. Especially the balms, some of the best balms I have tried. The scent seems to last longer in the balm than the A/S, but all nice products. Aviator is one of the best new leather scents out there, Admirality, Intrepid, Dragons Blood, and Command Presence are the scents I would recommend.

That reminds me I still have the Barbershop that came in 6 oz, haven't had a chance to try it yet. I got it in a clearance for $11.50 including shipping months back. I don't think he offers them in 6 oz anymore, I should have bought more, reading the ingredients it does look similar to B&M.

I like the blue tubs.

Reef Point does make great products, seems like they don't get much mention. Personally I think his scents rival CRSW's fragrancehead artistic sensibilities.

Only thing I don't like is that his aftershave splashes and balms (other than unscented) are mentholated by default.

Only thing I don't like is that his aftershave splashes and balms (other than unscented) are mentholated by default.

...........and that is one of the things I really like about them. :001_smile

Top Bottom