What's new

Got my Calypso

Had my first shave with my just received Calypso R1 this morning, what can I say, it was great. This feels very light but moves around your face like a sports car and delivered a irritation free BBS just like it's heavy S.S. brother but with a very nimble feel. Me likey!

Had shave 2 this morning and it was even better than the first. This Calypso is one fine razor, all this time I thought a heavy razor was needed to do the job but it turns out light is where it's at.

The Calypso by Above the Tie is an exciting new razor. It is CNC machined 7075 aluminum with a new handle based on the Atlas. 7075 aluminum is one of the hardest alloys of this material and comparable in strength to steel. The head is based on the popular M and R versions of the ATT razor fabricated in stainless steel.
$DSCN4162.jpg$DSCN4163.jpg$DSCN4164.jpg$DSCN4160.jpg

The last picture refers to the various models of aluminum razors mentioned below.

I will admit up front that I am a fan of lightweight razors and prefer them in many instances to the heavier stainless steel, brass or Zamac versions. I also am partial to razors made with titanium though not as many of those are produced. Mainly it is a handle material and is more costly to produce a full razor making the finished product very expensive relative to other competitors. One example of an all titanium razor is made by Wolfman and sells for a premium.

Historically, aluminum has been used by manufacturers since the 1930s. Early examples would be Gillette using the material to produce lightweight versions of the Rocket HD, 66 (36gr.), 58 and various models of the Tech. Usually the aluminum was used in the handle and not the head which was the typical plated brass. It still made for a lightweight razor and are some of the most sought after by razor collectors. Others that come to mind were a very lightweight 2 piece Apollo that was entirely produced in aluminum and a 2 piece model 15 Rotbart (45gr.).

Today various aluminum razors are produced by Ikon, Standard, Italian Barber, and Colonial. They run the gamut in design....from SB and Dual to SE. The majority of the latest designs seem to be single edge and based on the Japanese Artist Club blade. Most of them are CNC machined with Ikon favoring sintering. I think the reason that so many new razors are based on aluminum is that it is easier to work with and costs less money in a finished product. The happy result is that they are wonderful to shave with and forces an alternative technique.

The ATT Calypso is a beautiful gun metal gray and blue base plate combination. It is very efficient yet mild. I prefer mild razors and in my own experience find they are capable of reducing stubble efficiently while being totally safe to use. You would have a hard time nicking yourself with the Calypso while ending up with a 3 pass BBS shave. Aluminum razors require just a touch of pressure because of their light weight and I find I can shave every day with the Calypso without irritation or razor burn....which is not the case with many other tools.

I have about 6 shaves with the new razor and have used the supplied Astra Premium stainless blade and a stainless Treet. Both deliver a smooth and comfortable result in the Calypso head. I really like the M plate in stainless and even more so in aluminum, My beard grows enough to usually shave every day but is not the wiry type best addressed with the Muhle R-41 or some such torture device with huge blade gaps and used with a abundance of caution. I am 73 and I guess beards get a little less problematic as we age and the texture of hair changes. However, I would suspect the Calypso has enough range to give a good shave to all beard types though ATT as is their custom makes an R plate version for the more adventuresome. The upfront policy of this company making multiple blade gap versions of their razors throughout the range is very unusual but smart. It gives customers a lot of choice to match their shaving technique and preferences and is a competitive advantage.

The new profusion of razors in aluminum also allows manufacturers to offer their product at a lower price, not a small issue. The retail cost of CNC machined tools have risen to an average it seems of around $175.00 and are thus expensive on a relative basis to say a Dorco TTO or any number of cheaper alternatives. Aluminum allows for prices to vary from $20 at the lower end to $96 for the Calypso....about half the price of the stainless steel M. It should allow for more people to invest in the new designs and in ATT's case to manufacture more of their models in aluminum and offer them at a reduced retail price. I would think the very popular slant S1 and the recently introduced single edge SE1 would be obvious choices.

So in summary, in my opinion the Calypso is a tremendous introduction of a superior shaving tool at a decent price that should pave the way for Above the Tie to offer their innovative designs in other materials. In this case aluminum.

Attachments

• $DSCN4161.jpg
    $DSCN4161.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 103
Top Bottom