What's new

Good source for jnat?

Well the offer was accpeted so I'm now the proud owner of this. It was listed as an old Nakayama Asagi.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Well the offer was accpeted so I'm now the proud owner of this. It was listed as an old Nakayama Asagi.

Hey I saw that stone like 3 seconds after he listed it. Nice looking one. What'd you pay?

I got this one from the same batch of listings real cheap because it's so small (~4"x4")

Okudo Orange suita
Max size]98*117*26mm
[net Wt.] 506g
HGAL=4/3++++/3+++/3+++

Ultimate class plate!/Superb!/Suit for St razor, Jp planes final Fin.

Last edited:
Hey I saw that stone like 3 seconds after he listed it. Nice looking one. What'd you pay?

I got this one from the same batch of listings real cheap because it's so small (~4"x4")

Okudo Orange suita
Max size]98*117*26mm
[net Wt.] 506g
HGAL=4/3++++/3+++/3+++

Ultimate class plate!/Superb!/Suit for St razor, Jp planes final Fin.

I ended up paying $74 for it which I'm stoked about.

Yes, it's my first JNAT. Are there any secrets to using them? I've read that the grit breaks down getting finer and finer. Does that happen after you've raised a slurry and start honing?

Last edited:
Another thought I had was cutting this bit off.

proxy.php

Being left handed, it will actually get in my way and I can use it as a slurry stone.

Is that a reasonable idea?

I've done that to one of my Jnats. It's not a super expensive stone either so I would go ahead and cut it off if it was bothering me.

I've done that to one of my Jnats. It's not a super expensive stone either so I would go ahead and cut it off if it was bothering me.

Excellent. I find I work off the left hand edge of a stone so it'll be good to cut it off. I've got a good stone cutting wheel for the angle grinder somewhere so I'll use that.

I would just cut that corner off so I maintained as much real estate as possible. It would make a good Honzan or Nagura or Honzan Nagura whatever the correct term is since its unusable in its current state.

Last edited:
There are a couple of Naguras you should get but I am not the one to help you. Sorry. Hopefully someone will suggest the correct ones for your stone.

There are a couple of Naguras you should get but I am not the one to help you. Sorry. Hopefully someone will suggest the correct ones for your stone.

I've read a couple of opinions on different forums that using a DMT as a nagura is good with these stones.

Another thought I had was cutting this bit off.

proxy.php

Being left handed, it will actually get in my way and I can use it as a slurry stone.

Is that a reasonable idea?

IMHO I would not. Not because it will be difficult but it removes the imperfections from the stone that make them look beautiful. And that is a beautiful stone. Whatever you do I'm sure it will be great though.

I've read a couple of opinions on different forums that using a DMT as a nagura is good with these stones.

Until I find another Honzan I picked up a DMT sharpening card and it was a little different than a Honzan but it worked on my first attempt with it. But I've also been told that that doesn't always work as all Jnats will vary.

I'm really kicking myself for not jumping on the Telly nagura group buy before they sold out.:angry:

Ok Yeah thats fine if you you are just using as finisher. I may be wrong but other Naguras open a door to a wide range of cutting abilities. I am just starting to learn myself. I have 2 coming also. One from an auction off ebay and a beautiful stone I couldn't resist from Japannaturalstones. I told hom I didn't have anything for the Jnat and he suggested a couple of Naguras which I purchased since they could go in the same box and save me the cost of shipping. I just found this I don't know if you have read it yet or not.
http://japanshave.blogspot.com/2010/05/honing-on-japanese-naturals.html

Top Bottom