What's new

Good alternative for the Semogue LE 2009?

Hi all,

I have an LE 2009 from Semogue, and for a boar I think it's great. They are all sold out now, so I was wondering which widely available boar brush is similar in dimensions, performance and face feel.

So, how does the 2000 compare? And what about the Omega 31064?

For the record, I also have the 1520 and find it a little scritchy for my taste, even broken in and after soaking.

Thanks,

John

Hi all,

And what about the Omega 31064?

The perfect boar brush imo. The knot is about 25-26mm, with a loft under 60mm, making it a 'medium' sized brush as far as boars go. The handle is heavy solid acrylic; feels weighty and well made and looks great. Its the only brush I've used this year, solely with creams (which i think boar works better with; I'm in a minority - most guys seem to prefer them as soap brushes).

It beats all the other boars I've used (don't want to disparage other brands/brushes, but this is by far my fave), HOWEVER, I have read a couple of posts describing the brush as floppy, and while I wouldn't call it that, I would agree it doesn't have the 'scrubbiness' of some of the shorter lofted brushes. If you're after those characteristics look for another brush, this is a 'luxury' boar brush imo; very soft tipped and somewhat silvertip like on the face.

The perfect boar brush imo. The knot is about 25-26mm, with a loft under 60mm, making it a 'medium' sized brush as far as boars go. The handle is heavy solid acrylic; feels weighty and well made and looks great. Its the only brush I've used this year, solely with creams (which i think boar works better with; I'm in a minority - most guys seem to prefer them as soap brushes).

+1 Except I'd cut the loft down by 10mm. My favorite boars are at about 50mm. I've never owned a Boreal though.

The knot on the 2000 is slightly bigger. It runs in around at 25 mm, while I believe Leon said the LE 2009 is 24 mm, which seems about right when I look at them side by side. The loft is a bit taller too, as it's right at 60. Density is similar but the bristle in the 2000 takes quite a bit more work to break in, and the handle is shorter on the 2000. Both are great brushes, but I would give the edge to the LE 2009.

As for the Omega 31064, I don't have that brush but the dimensions appear to be similar to the Semogue 2000.

HOWEVER, I have read a couple of posts describing the brush as floppy, and while I wouldn't call it that, I would agree it doesn't have the 'scrubbiness' of some of the shorter lofted brushes.

I have the Omega 31064 and do find it to be very floppy. I can't say how it compares to the Semogue LE, though, since I missed the ordering window...:crying:

Top Bottom