What's new

Gold Plated Merkur HD

Hey everyone!

I just got into wet shaving recently. ($3.50 for a Gillette Fusion cartridge wasn't my thing... Especially since I'm going to college next year. Just ordered my 100 pack of Israeli blades for $15... Whoohoo!) I've wanted to try it for months and as of yesterday, I am an owner of a gold plated Merkur HD. The gold is usually not my thing... but I figured that if I were to get a luxurious shave, I might as well go for that flashy, nouveau rich razor. :D

Anyways... I was just wondering if the gold plating is going to flake off. I read after searching somewhere that it's coated with something. What should I watch out for to avoid flaking? Also, who here has a gold plated razor? What condition is it in?

I was a little paranoid about flaking so I waxed the razor with some good quality car wax. Now the thing slides smoothly over my face and the water beads up on it. lol

Mikei

First off Welcome. The HD gets high praise in these parts. If you wanted it could be your only razor for the rest of your life.

Only have one gold razor and it is not Merkur, so can't comment on the gold plating, but have seen some and they sure look nice.

Guessing you bought the Crystals. If so I don't think you will be disappointed. They are my normal blade after trying many.

I did not get how experienced you are, but if new at this, take the time to view Mantic's videos and read a lot.

Good luck:wink:

Thanks for the heads up on the videos! My mom taught me to shave the way her dad did and so I pretty much shaved this style from day one, which I am really thankful for because there hasn't been much of a learning curve for me. No nicks or cuts yet! Just an amazingly close shave.

I bought the Israeli no-name blades that say "Made in Israel" and "Super + Platinum" on them. I don't know how good they are but since my facial hairs are only really thick on my chin area I will probably be happy either way. :)

But all this shaving stuff is a ton of fun. It makes me feel like I'm in the 50's.

I still don't get why the blades are platinum coated. I'll search the forums for that answer. :)

actually, those are my blades of choice to use in my 38C (long barberpole handle HD),
i have thick hair and beard, and those blades reduce it with no major effort,

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I have had the Gold Merkur Slant for over a year now and see no signs whatsoever of the gold plating beginning to come off.

I still don't get why the blades are platinum coated. I'll search the forums for that answer. :)

Iron and oxygen love one another. Platinum and oxygen don't.

Coating a blade with platinum (or various platinum alloys) reduces corrosion and extends the life of the blade by keeping iron atoms on the blade surface from reacting with water or molecular oxygen.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Iron and oxygen love one another. Platinum and oxygen don't.

Coating a blade with platinum (or various platinum alloys) reduces corrosion and extends the life of the blade by keeping iron atoms on the blade surface from reacting with water or molecular oxygen.

Uh... That's right. :wink:

Mikei,

Welcome to B&B and congrats on the blades and the razor you chose to use. Seems no one has answered you question about the gold finish on the HD.

I for one love gold razors and the brighter the better. Yet I only have one gold razor with any kind of really shiny surface like you now have on your gold HD.

Don't worry about the finish coming off. If you care for the razor and don't shine it too many times with anything abrasive it will stay nice I suppose until you send your kids off to college.

But to me the most important thing about any razor, gold, silver, chrome, plastic is how it shaves. The nice old ones I have is a '58 Gillette Fat Boy Executive and a '40s era Gold Gillette Thick Handle TEch that has never been used. But I also have several other vintage Gillette NEWs and Old Style razors that look not very good as far as the gold goes but they do the important thing and that is to shave.

You will find that a great looking razor will enhance your shave experience at first but after a while it will loose some of it significance unless you are showing off to a group of guys who you want to convert.

Don't worry about the gold finish going to pot in just a few years. Take good care of it and it will shine brightly for many years to come.

Wow! You guys thoroughly answered all my questions. Thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

I can't wait until tomorrow morning so that I get to use my DE again. haha :)

Thanks, everyone!

Welcome, Mikei.
I also have a gold HD, and it is my favorite DE. The gold plating on mine seems very durable. Never boil it, and don't use abrasive polish. Scrubbing Bubbles is OK, or just warm, soapy water. The Israeli Personna is an excellent blade to start with.

Top Bottom