What's new

Gold Dollar straight razor was delivered.

steveclarkus sent a used one to me for free. It shows signs of wear and has a slight rust mark, but it is free, and it can last many years.

IMG_20181203_180555.jpg

IMG_20181203_180639.jpg

In the picture below, I see a little mark which looks like rust, but I'm not sure. Can I remove the mark?

IMG_20181203_180704.jpg

Anyway, it definitely is sharp. At first, I thought it was a weapon. Maybe, it is a weapon. Now, I understand why I can't board an airplane with a straight razor.

When I see it, I see it with respect and fear.

I shaved my cheek a bit with the grain with the razor. It was thrilling. I definitely need to watch videos about it.

Last edited:
I don't see any rust and Steve went to considerable cost to send you a near mint condition free razor that is shave ready. Your job is to learn to use it and make sure his efforts were not in vain. Good grief. Show some appreciation. :em2700:

I don't see any rust and Steve went to considerable cost to send you a near mint condition free razor that is shave ready. Your job is to learn to use it and make sure his efforts were not in vain. Good grief. Show some appreciation. :em2700:

I do appreciate what he did for me.

What a nice thing of Steve to send you a shave ready straight razor!
I’m happy you are thrilled after shaving your cheek.

If you are thinking about the mark close to the spine you can use sanding paper and water. Rinse after with good running water stream. It is a good thing you want to take care of the gift.

Stay away from the bevel with sanding paper unless you are going to re-hone the straight razor as it will mess up the shave ready edge.

After shaving you can rinse the razor in hot/warm tap water and clean the spine. Wipe of the blade with a clean cloth without cutting in it. Do a few light laps on linen/canvas or dry with hair dryer. If not having children and not been using hair dryer leave open for 20 minutes, close and put away.
But if leaving open make sure there are not items close that the edge can bump into when using/moving. Make a clear area around the razor.

I've had a new razor get a rust spot on first run. Some of the steel is sensitive. After using I thoroughly clean and dry with t p . Stopping is important also to dry the edge. I put one away for a few days and it rusted at the edge. Videos and anything you read will help. Good luck

Giving the fact how cheap a Gold Dollar 66 is I personally wouldn't worry too much about it's imperfections. Once you learn how to shave with it, you can always upgrade to something more fancy and then worry about such cosmetic flaws.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Giving the fact how cheap a Gold Dollar 66 is I personally wouldn't worry too much about it's imperfections. Once you learn how to shave with it, you can always upgrade to something more fancy and then worry about such cosmetic flaws.
A Gold Dollar will shave just fine.

Agreed. I'm just saying that he shouldn't worry too much about such minor thing that doesn't affect the shaving experience at all.

Gold Dollars when honed properly are very good shavers .The one Steve sent you is in excellent condition .It is common to have some hone wear on a Gold Dollar due to how it was ground .It some time is necessary to get the razor shave ready .

Wow, what a nice gesture @steveclarkus . I used nothing but a Gold Dollar for a long time, and they can be excellent razors if cared for and maintained properly. Enjoy it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
And it was my last one - never used though.
:em18:

Just kidding. I had a very good Korean friend in college and found Asians express themselves differently than we do. He is excited to have it and I’m quite sure he is very appreciative. I’m very pleased to see him excited about his new razor. I used that one to practice scaling razors because it was dull. I honed it up to .1u for him but it had never been shaved with.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It’s bad enough @marshmellow chose to discribe it as used and rusty. @dig says it’s
“Cheap”. Well, it cost more than the one he sent to a foreign country, but I told you to send the new Puma 91 6/8 and you would t listen. :a24:
Inexpensive may have been a better choice of words but they really are cheap and very good shavers. @Dlg and @marshmellow are my buddies. Leave them alone. Anyway @Twelvefret @Dlg English is much better than your Bulgarian. :em3400:

And it was my last one - never used though.
:em18:

Just kidding. I had a very good Korean friend in college and found Asians express themselves differently than we do. He is excited to have it and I’m quite sure he is very appreciative. I’m very pleased to see him excited about his new razor. I used that one to practice scaling razors because it was dull. I honed it up to .1u for him but it had never been shaved with.
You never look into the mouth of a gift horse is how old men in my part of the woods use to say it.

Gotta dance with the girl that brought you.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
In never got a gift horse and never left a dance with the girl I brought. Who in the hell would want to go home with just one!

Top Bottom