What's new

Going down the rabbit hole with a Gem Junior lather catcher

Hey all,
I have been saving my foray into SE razors for a time when I had felt that my DE search had ended. Well, I cannot say that search has TRULY ended but I have finished off quite a collection and have moved into replating some of my favorites. Having freed up some of my attention in various areas of RAD I have decided to get into GEM razors and give single edge shaving a go.

I have been getting comfortable with a G-bar and have a few 1912 models in the mail. Today I kind of "accidentally" won something (you know the last minute low bid thing) that I'm excited to receive. I am searching to learn more about this razor and what to expect as far as blade loading and shave characteristics. I have been running the standard GEM SS PTFE blades that seem to be the standard and hope that this beautiful razor could be used just as well as the later models.

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks all!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hey all,
I have been saving my foray into SE razors for a time when I had felt that my DE search had ended. Well, I cannot say that search has TRULY ended but I have finished off quite a collection and have moved into replating some of my favorites. Having freed up some of my attention in various areas of RAD I have decided to get into GEM razors and give single edge shaving a go.

I have been getting comfortable with a G-bar and have a few 1912 models in the mail. Today I kind of "accidentally" won something (you know the last minute low bid thing) that I'm excited to receive. I am searching to learn more about this razor and what to expect as far as blade loading and shave characteristics. I have been running the standard GEM SS PTFE blades that seem to be the standard and hope that this beautiful razor could be used just as well as the later models.

View attachment 1274521
View attachment 1274522View attachment 1274523View attachment 1274524

Thanks all!!
You will more likely enjoy that razor more than a lot of your other razors, it is not a overly aggressive but more a milder mid range. The audio feed back is awesome on that model which I also own two. (good daily driver). The bottom of the handle has the stropping attachment. Enjoy!
Stropping attachment inside of handle! (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have one, and here are my notes on it:

GEM JUNIOR "NEW BAR" RAZOR: Made 1900-1912. Lather catcher style with a horizontal bar that flips down to secure the blade. The bar was added circa 1907. The blade is not covered in front, and the exposed blade gives a utilitarian, rough and brutal appearance. Nickel plated. This is a poor shaver with CVS blades, but it's a very good shaver with Gem Stainless Steel Coated blades (even though the blades appear identical). The original cost was $1.00, which is about $30 today.

Disclaimer: YMMV

Let us know how you like it after you shave with it for a week. I have about 75 DE, SE and Injector razors. This is my oldest razor. I need to use it more often. Maybe I'll use it next week. BTW I get about 5 three-pass shaves on a SE blade.

Last edited:
I'm anticipating loving this razor if only for the aesthetics. I did go on a bit of a buying spree this weekend though...

In addition to this and a few 1912s (including a Damaskeene) I now have an ER 1914 and Flying Wing heading my way. The REALLY nice thing about getting into SE razors is I can select based almost exclusively on condition and still get a great deal. When I was in the throws of collecting vintage Gillette DE razors I did a lot of "I sure hope this cleans up!" type purchases and have a box of shame to prove it!

I'm looking forward to working on my technique and NOT having the endless blade search with these razors. This lather catcher seems like it will fit right in the middle of the pack shave wise and will possibly be my best looking and certainly my oldest razor.

I have the same razor and shaved with a Gem PTFE blade last night. I don't use it too often but get a DFS when I do. My razor is missing the cap on the stropping attachment and now I know what it should look like.

Like you my DE search ran its course (okay, pay no attention to the Simplex 7 and the Fat Boy I picked up this last weekend, still looking for a Blue Tip in the wild), so I got into SEs and lather catchers. I love a good lather catcher shave, especially with a few days growth—lots of audible feedback and a close comfortable shave that’s close to a straight razor. I have a 1901 New Gem that gives a little rougher shave, but my Hero, and Ever Ready LCs are very smooth, but I'd like to get a GEM Junior Bar like your example because they just look cool--let us know how your shaves go. As for the other SEs you mention, I prefer the 1912s and the lather catchers because they look really aggressive, but in reality they are very mild but efficient shavers and give great results with little to no drama. You'll find the open comb MicroMatic to be a bit more aggressive than the other two MicroMatics (Clog Pruf and Flying Wing (aka, Guiding Eye/Bullet Tip)) which are fairly mild but all are built like Russian Tanks and great shavers. The downside of SEs is that blade choice is limited, but the upside is that the one readily available blade (GEM PTFE) is very good, and it's almost like cheating. After trying other carbon blades, I went with the GEM PTFEs because like traction control in a car, they just make good shaves easy (just remember although PTFE blades make good shaves easy, like Traction Control, they aren't a license to defy the laws of physics).

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I only have the regular lather catcher that you have to use a shim in. Those shave great but are a pita to get the wedge to stay so the blade does not move. I need to look for a Jr.

Top Bottom