What's new

Glazes

What kinds of glazes do you guys like to use on fish, chicken, pork, etc.? I’m looking for some ideas and recipes to spice up dinners during the week. I do like bold flavors, and generally prefer a thicker glaze to a thinner glaze. I know there are a million ideas on the internet, but I’d rather get some ideas from you guys that have actually used and enjoyed them.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Closest I get to a proper glaze is homemade BBQ sauces. I've never been much into glazes and sauces over my meats (except BBQ of course) however, I did make a really good mustard cream sauce last week to go with some pork chops.

I'll be eyeing this thread for ideas too.

I like a good balsamic glaze. After pan frying any meat, deglaze the pan with 1/4 to 1/2 stock or wine. Then add 1 to 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, a dash of sugar, then a tablespoon of butter to finish it off. Pour over meat and serve.

I like a good balsamic glaze. After pan frying any meat, deglaze the pan with 1/4 to 1/2 stock or wine. Then add 1 to 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, a dash of sugar, then a tablespoon of butter to finish it off. Pour over meat and serve.
That sounds interesting, I’ll have to give that a shot! I do like balsamic dressings

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

That sounds quite wonderful, but I'd call that a pan sauce (which is another quick, easy, and fantastic way of sprucing up just about anything).

Yes, a good homemade BBQ sauce can work very well for the right dish. I also like a fairly simple honey mustard that's about 2 parts Dijon mustard to 1 part honey (and it's very easy to add minced fresh herbs or ground spices or zest).

My typical "formula" is to combine some sort of sugar (table sugar, brown sugar, honey, jelly, syrup (maple or simple or even infused simple), etc.) with some sort of acid (vinegar, mustard, ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire, citrus, wine, what have you), and then some other flavor component(s) (herbs, spices, zest, molasses, garlic, garlic/onion powder, a tiny dab of anchovy paste, etc.) It's just a matter of what suits the dish and having some fun. The "sugar" component doesn't always make it in. It's a loose "formula" :001_rolle

Fat can go into it, but not always. Sometimes, it kills the acidity. However, if I have something particularly acidic or you add little or no "sugar," some butter or oil sure can work wonders. We make a mustard/dill/garlic/olive oil glaze for salmon that has a substantial amount of olive oil because it's almost nothing but Batampte mustard (quite acidic) (and note that there's no sugar).

Texture depends on the dish and the extent to which I will cook it after. If it's something I am going to roast on, then I want something that's brushable and that will not just pool into the roasting pan (or fall through the grill grates). If it's something I add to the plate, I want something that still is rather viscous but that will fall off a spoon in a slow stream or ribbon. You can control the texture by the balance of the ingredients. However, you also can thicken with a bit of starch (or starch slurry) or thin with a bit of liquid (wine, vermouth, broth/stock, or even just a bit of water).

The great thing about glazes is that can be quickly thrown together and that they are very easy to taste and adjust on the fly.

Th
That sounds quite wonderful, but I'd call that a pan sauce (which is another quick, easy, and fantastic way of sprucing up just about anything).

Yes, a good homemade BBQ sauce can work very well for the right dish. I also like a fairly simple honey mustard that's about 2 parts Dijon mustard to 1 part honey (and it's very easy to add minced fresh herbs or ground spices or zest).

My typical "formula" is to combine some sort of sugar (table sugar, brown sugar, honey, jelly, syrup (maple or simple or even infused simple), etc.) with some sort of acid (vinegar, mustard, ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire, citrus, wine, what have you), and then some other flavor component(s) (herbs, spices, zest, molasses, garlic, garlic/onion powder, a tiny dab of anchovy paste, etc.) It's just a matter of what suits the dish and having some fun. The "sugar" component doesn't always make it in. It's a loose "formula" :001_rolle

Fat can go into it, but not always. Sometimes, it kills the acidity. However, if I have something particularly acidic or you add little or no "sugar," some butter or oil sure can work wonders. We make a mustard/dill/garlic/olive oil glaze for salmon that has a substantial amount of olive oil because it's almost nothing but Batampte mustard (quite acidic) (and note that there's no sugar).

Texture depends on the dish and the extent to which I will cook it after. If it's something I am going to roast on, then I want something that's brushable and that will not just pool into the roasting pan (or fall through the grill grates). If it's something I add to the plate, I want something that still is rather viscous but that will fall off a spoon in a slow stream or ribbon. You can control the texture by the balance of the ingredients. However, you also can thicken with a bit of starch (or starch slurry) or thin with a bit of liquid (wine, vermouth, broth/stock, or even just a bit of water).

The great thing about glazes is that can be quickly thrown together and that they are very easy to taste and adjust on the fly.
Thanks for the informative post. It's weird, I've been cooking since I was 10 years old and most consider me to be quite a good cook. However, I've just never learned how to make the sauces or glazes, and it would definitely add to my skillset. Please keep the tips coming!

Closest I get to a proper glaze is homemade BBQ sauces. I've never been much into glazes and sauces over my meats (except BBQ of course) however, I did make a really good mustard cream sauce last week to go with some pork chops.

I'll be eyeing this thread for ideas too.
The mustard cream sauce sounds good, care to share how you do it?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The mustard cream sauce sounds good, care to share how you do it?

This is basically the recipe I used...
Mustard Cream Sauce

For the one I made lately I used some grainy homemade mustard (instead of the dijon) and some fresh tarragon from the garden instead of the dill. It's a good basic recipe to riff on to suit your own tastes.

I used it on some poached eggs that weekend which was awesome. Kind of a take on Benedict.

Last edited:
This is basically the recipe I used...
Mustard Cream Sauce

For the one I made lately I used some grainy homemade mustard (instead of the dijon) and some fresh tarragon from the garden instead of the dill. It's a good basic recipe to riff on to suit your own tastes.

I used it on some poached eggs that weekend which was awesome. Kind of a take on Benedict.
That sounds good on some eggs

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Just butter and maple syrup for either carrots or salmon. To be clear I'm talking about real Maple Syrup.

Just butter and maple syrup for either carrots or salmon. To be clear I'm talking about real Maple Syrup.
Yeah that sounds good on some salmon. I’ve made a brown sugar root beer glaze for salmon, but not with maple syrup yet. Is Vermont maple syrup still the best?

Had a neighbour that was tapping the maples in the neighbourhood and i traded him neighbourhood tomato sauce and garlic bulbs for some of his maple syrup. His family had a farm and did maple syrup, Jeff was adding his tappings to the farm's to get enough to make it worth while, 40:1 reduction. His tree eventually toppled in a bad wind storm.
dave

Last edited:
Yeah that sounds good on some salmon. I’ve made a brown sugar root beer glaze for salmon, but not with maple syrup yet. Is Vermont maple syrup still the best?

Use what you can get in the real syrup, i can't imagine you'd be disappointed. Everyone's going to tell you theirs is the best.
dave

Had a neighbour that was tapping the maples in the neighbourhood and i traded him neighbourhood tomato sauce and garlic bulbs for some of his maple syrup. His family had a farm and did maple syrup, Jeff was adding his tappings to the farm's to get enough to make it worth while, 40:1 reduction. His tree eventually toppled in a bad wind storm.
dave
Is that the usual ratio? 40:1? I had no idea it reduced so much.

I tried this tonight, over pork chops, along with roasted brussel sprouts. My wife loved it. Thanks for the suggestion. This will be in our regular rotation. I did omit the sugar and ad four chopped garlic cloves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom