What's new

Giving this another shot

I dabbed into the wet shaving arena about 8 years or so ago and could never figure out a good routine for getting a good shave. I gave up after a few weeks to maybe a month. I decided to give it another go around and am starting to enjoy it thus far.

My current tools:
Merkur 34C safety razor
Simpsons Trafalgar 3 synthetic brush
Proraso white pre-shave, shave cream, and balm set
Astra Plantinum razors - They seem ok so far
Derby razors - Not a fan
Rockwell razors - Haven't tried yet

I have pretty sensitive skin on my neck and chin so I decided to get the Proraso white set of pre-shave cream, shave cream, and aftershave balm to combat this. My results have been pretty good so far but I'm still trying to perfect my shave. I have coarse/this hair and I'm trying to map out my beard to get better results. I am sometimes left with stubble on my chin and mid neck because I'm too afraid to go over it too many times. I used to do that and would walk away from my shave with burns and nicks. I'd like to try to venture into some soaps too. I have ordered a trial size of several Stirling soaps.

I fell into the habit of using my beard trimmer without a guard in order to shave my neck and trim my beard. I've decided to go beardless and am really hoping to find a routine that is comfortable for me and gives me good results.

Thanks for the welcome and so far, I've read some good advice on here. There's just so much, it's hard to tell where to start sometimes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I dabbed into the wet shaving arena about 8 years or so ago and could never figure out a good routine for getting a good shave. I gave up after a few weeks to maybe a month. I decided to give it another go around and am starting to enjoy it thus far.

My current tools:
Merkur 34C safety razor
Simpsons Trafalgar 3 synthetic brush
Proraso white pre-shave, shave cream, and balm set
Astra Plantinum razors - They seem ok so far
Derby razors - Not a fan
Rockwell razors - Haven't tried yet

I have pretty sensitive skin on my neck and chin so I decided to get the Proraso white set of pre-shave cream, shave cream, and aftershave balm to combat this. My results have been pretty good so far but I'm still trying to perfect my shave. I have coarse/this hair and I'm trying to map out my beard to get better results. I am sometimes left with stubble on my chin and mid neck because I'm too afraid to go over it too many times. I used to do that and would walk away from my shave with burns and nicks. I'd like to try to venture into some soaps too. I have ordered a trial size of several Stirling soaps.

I fell into the habit of using my beard trimmer without a guard in order to shave my neck and trim my beard. I've decided to go beardless and am really hoping to find a routine that is comfortable for me and gives me good results.

Thanks for the welcome and so far, I've read some good advice on here. There's just so much, it's hard to tell where to start sometimes.

Start anywhere.

proxy.php

Just be careful who you follow.

Concern yourself with getting a Damn Comfortable Shave instead of a good close shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Welcome to B and B! It looks like good kit. Enjoy and take your time to learn and enjoy the process. There are rabbit [emoji235] holes [emoji874] along the way. I have been down a couple myself. Have fun and ask questions if you have them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome, 3GirlDad! Glad to have you along for the ride.

I'll ask what the rest of us regulars want to know . . . is the junior Tan an Arko user too?
LOL! NO! He claims to have good taste!

The kid just uses WATER!?! I have offered him ANY soap. Always refuses.
Weird man.

Takes after his mother doggone!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@3GirlDad, it sounds to me that you are initially aiming for a close and totally irritation free shave. Most here on B&B first try to attain this with double-edge (DE) "safety" razors.

I will try and save you some time and effort. Switch to straight-razor (SR) shaving. Many on B&B have done so and almost none of them regretted the move. After some practice, they achieve their desired goals (and better) and start to wonder why they didn't start SR shaving in their teens.

Pop on over to the SR section of B&B. You will be warmly welcomed and expertly guided into the gentlemanly art that is straight razor shaving.

@3GirlDad, it sounds to me that you are initially aiming for a close and totally irritation free shave. Most here on B&B first try to attain this with double-edge (DE) "safety" razors.

I will try and save you some time and effort. Switch to straight-razor (SR) shaving. Many on B&B have done so and almost none of them regretted the move. After some practice, they achieve their desired goals (and better) and start to wonder why they didn't start SR shaving in their teens.

Pop on over to the SR section of B&B. You will be warmly welcomed and expertly guided into the gentlemanly art that is straight razor shaving.
Security! Can we get @rbscebu removed for poaching?! 🙃

Top Bottom