What's new

Giving My Simpsons Special in Best A Rest. Please Help Me Choose My Next Brush

Okay guys, I have been using my Simpsons Special in Best exclusively since April of 2011 and I am looking for a new brush. I would like to keep the cost under $150, but would be happier in the $100 range. To help you guys determine what might be best for me I am providing the following info.
1. I use Mystic Water and Cella soap.
2. All lathering is done in the soap container and on my face.
3. I would prefer something with a bit more backbone than my Special.
4. I am open to different type hairs and grades.
5. I am fine with any handle as long as it isn't smaller than the Special.
Please let me know what other info you need, and thanks for your input.

Simpsons Duke 3 in best badger - ~$120
Simpsons Duke 2 in best badger- ~100
TGN Knot 24/48 Finest XH in acrylic handle ~$65
Hi end, Shavemac D01 3-band silvertip 24/48 - ~ $160 incl. delivery from Germany.

I've got'em all and love'em all. Great face latherers, and great with soaps. Not one is a flop-mop.

I love my Simpson 57 very similar to the Duke 3 in size and price but I have not tried the Duke.

Not to hijack the thread but has anybody compared the 57 to the Duke 3 and can comment? (I'm guessing turtle has... :laugh:)

The Rooney 3/3 in super silver is a fine brush!
The size 1, in large, is just at the top of your price range and you may like the smaller handle of the size 1 than the size 3.
Rooney packs in a lot of bristles so, you get a bit more backbone.

I also like the Omega 20102 in boar - it's under US$25.00 and it's a fantastic brush.

Last edited:
I love my Rooney Emillion, my shavemac d01 and my semogue 830. any of these would be a GREAT next brush. I don't own a Simpson but after all I've read on here, I think my first Simpson will be a Duke 3.

I'm going to recommend a Duke 1. I have all 3 Dukes and the 1 is my favorite. The Duke 3 is too big for my face but I don't want to break up the set. All the Dukes are great face lathering brushes, IMO.

Last edited:
Please let me know what other info you need, and thanks for your input.

how is the handle size of the Special for you?

Do you want a larger/taller handle?

One about the same size?

Or a smaller/shorter handle?

Thanks for the responses so far. There seem to be a lot of options. I have answered some questions below. The most important two requirements compared to my Special are more backbone (tighter pack) and better for face lathering. My Special was great for my scuttle and palm lathering, but is too soft to get a good face lathering. Now I almost always only face lather. Please keep the great comments coming.

how is the handle size of the Special for you? Fine

Do you want a larger/taller handle? Not really, but I am not against one either.

One about the same size? Size is not an issue as long as it provides a bit more lather and can stimulate the facial hairs a bit more.

Or a smaller/shorter handle?Definitely not a smaller/shorter handle.

I'm going to recommend a Duke 1. I have all 3 Dukes and the 1 is my favorite. The Duke 3 is too big for my face but I don't want to break up the set. All the Dukes are great face lathering brushes, IMO.

Oh yea, you can't break up the family no way :lol:

proxy.php

Thanks for the responses so far. There seem to be a lot of options. I have answered some questions below. The most important two requirements compared to my Special are more backbone (tighter pack) and better for face lathering. My Special was great for my scuttle and palm lathering, but is too soft to get a good face lathering. Now I almost always only face lather. Please keep the great comments coming.

Given your answers to my size questions..... Why not get a special in pure badger?

If you are looking for more stiffness and like the Special but don't like the softness of best badger this seems to be the logical choice

A Special in pure is only $23 so it's a no brainer choice

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Simpson-Special-1-Pure-Badger-Shaving-Brush-S1_p_555.html

I have a Simpsons Beaufort B4 in pure and it is one sweet face lathering brush.

proxy.php

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am not sure if this is going to fit the bill, but I just couldn't resist this Rooney 3/1 Silvertip in Horn listed in the Shaving Mall Buy/Sell/Trade. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
attachment.php

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am not sure if this is going to fit the bill, but I just couldn't resist this Rooney 3/1 Silvertip in Horn listed in the Shaving Mall Buy/Sell/Trade. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

You did good.

Nice pickup.

That should compliment your Special nicely.

Top Bottom