What's new

Gillette Tech

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I used a Gillette Nacet. Had one shave in it when I switched it to the new razor.

My handle is a Maggard bulldog. Don't know model #. It is smaller than the Razorock bulldog.
Regarding blades, I find myself using a Kai in my Techs more than anything else.

Also enjoy Personna Med Prep, Feather, Personna Israeli Platinum Red and Bolzano blades in Techs.

The 'To Try' list includes Nacet, Rapira Swedish Steel and a couple of others that are slipping my mind at the moment. Given your feedback on the Nacet, that looks like the On Deck blade to me. :)

Regarding blades, I find myself using a Kai in my Techs more than anything else.

Also enjoy Personna Med Prep, Feather, Personna Israeli Platinum Red and Bolzano blades in Techs.

The 'To Try' list includes Nacet, Rapira Swedish Steel and a couple of others that are slipping my mind at the moment. Given your feedback on the Nacet, that looks like the On Deck blade to me. :)
I like Nacets a lot. Them and the Gillette 7 o'clock Black are my top two (add in Bic Chrome Platinums - if you can get a batch that was made ok - and you have my top three).

Just picked up 100 more on the bay for $10 shipped. It'll take a while as they come from Jordan, but I have had good luck (so far) with Jordan sold Gillette on eBay.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I like Nacets a lot. Them and the Gillette 7 o'clock Black are my top two (add in Bic Chrome Platinums - if you can get a batch that was made ok - and you have my top three).

Just picked up 100 more on the bay for $10 shipped. It'll take a while as they come from Jordan, but I have had good luck (so far) with Jordan sold Gillette on eBay.
I have a few of the 7 o'clock Black. Better put them on my 'To Try' list. :)

I find that my best blades with my Gillette Techs are Rapira Platinum Lux and Wilkinson Sword blades. Leave me with smooth and irritation free shaves, and they're the only blades to do that in my collection! Love my Pre war and my Brit heavy techs. Shaving should have stayed like this!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I find that my best blades with my Gillette Techs are Rapira Platinum Lux and Wilkinson Sword blades. Leave me with smooth and irritation free shaves, and they're the only blades to do that in my collection! Love my Pre war and my Brit heavy techs. Shaving should have stayed like this!
The RPL are very good blades. :)

Still have to try the Wilkinson Sword blades in a Tech.

Y'all have motivated me to buy another Tech (I want a post war one now). Found a gold one (ball end handle with strips/convict handle?) and bought it.

Gillette sold a boatload of Techs for a very good reason.

It's a solid design that simply works. It is arguably one of the best razors that Gillette ever made.

Y'all have motivated me to buy another Tech (I want a post war one now). Found a gold one (ball end handle with strips/convict handle?) and bought it.

Like this?

1571507886627.png

If so, yes that's a contract Tech.

Like this?

View attachment 1027363

If so, yes that's a contract Tech.

That's the one! About the same condition, too (per seller, looks unused, pics look very nice) - more than a standard Tech, but the condition and handle were worth it to me. I am nervous about the gold coating, though - my understanding is that Gillette's gold plating is quite thin and prone to rubbing off easily. I'm also hoping that there's a nickel layer under the gold and above the brass (and that it is indeed brass and not Zamak).

That's the one! About the same condition, too (per seller, looks unused, pics look very nice) - more than a standard Tech, but the condition and handle were worth it to me. I am nervous about the gold coating, though - my understanding is that Gillette's gold plating is quite thin and prone to rubbing off easily. I'm also hoping that there's a nickel layer under the gold and above the brass (and that it is indeed brass and not Zamak).

Yeah, it's more of a gold wash than a plating, so treat it very gently.

The metal at the base should be brass. Looking at Mr. Razor, it appears that Gillette didn't start using zamak until the early 1960's.

I have one of those too. Except mine has a copper collared top cap. I think the head is brass (underlying metal)? Not sure what material the fluted handle is? It's a unique looking razor and that handlebars some weight to it.

Can anyone help me identify which top cap should belong to the Canada base plate? I bought it from the bay, and it came with a logo-less head (utmost left in picture), and with a topcap with logo (with the 4 triangles and arrowed Gillette). I couldn't tell from assembling them, so I am hoping your vast knowledge can help me out.
It is the second from the top: fat handle, canada baseplate and logo topcap.
I also want to make sure razor 4 is assembled from the correct parts.

The numbers you see, are the weights in grams (on my kitchen scale).

full

From top to bottom:
1. French alu version, alu handle
2. Canada tech, came with fat handle, looking for correct top cap
3. English alu version, alu handle and base plate, zamak topcap?
4. USA ball end tech, heavy version, datecode H2, 1962. The topcap has the arrow Gillette logo, without triangles. Is that the correct topcap?

full

Can anyone help me identify which top cap should belong to the Canada base plate? I bought it from the bay, and it came with a logo-less head (utmost left in picture), and with a topcap with logo (with the 4 triangles and arrowed Gillette). I couldn't tell from assembling them, so I am hoping your vast knowledge can help me out.
It is the second from the top: fat handle, canada baseplate and logo topcap.
I also want to make sure razor 4 is assembled from the correct parts.

The numbers you see, are the weights in grams (on my kitchen scale).

full

From top to bottom:
1. French alu version, alu handle
2. Canada tech, came with fat handle, looking for correct top cap
3. English alu version, alu handle and base plate, zamak topcap?
4. USA ball end tech, heavy version, datecode H2, 1962. The topcap has the arrow Gillette logo, without triangles. Is that the correct topcap?

full
There seems to be an issue loading the images on my end.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pics are fine for me here.

A lot of times I see the logo-less top caps with the Canadian three-sided slot base.

Nice collection and another old and forgotten B&B Tech thread resurfaces!

Recently bought my first Tech, an L2 off eBay. I'm trying to learn more about Tech history. I've seen Techs with different handles around this same time period. Were Techs sold at the same time with different handles? Were the aluminum handle Techs made and sold only in England/Europe? Was the ball end handle made up until 1979?

Thanks, picture of mine below -

20220108_173343.jpg

I just cleaned my Techs yesterday. All were local finds, no more than $10 ea, a few years ago.

The 4 piece 1932 Triangle Slot Travel Techs are my most unique. I'm Amazed at the build quality, workmanship and ingenuity, that went into it, so long ago.

All shave the same to me. England. Canada 1932. USA. Straight slots or Triangle Slots.

Gillette knew what they were doing back in the day....FB, Slim, Tech, SuperSpeed. All classics.

PXL_20220109_194312391.jpg

PXL_20220109_194348152.jpg

PXL_20220109_194409251.jpg

PXL_20220109_194417234.jpg

Last edited:
Recently bought my first Tech, an L2 off eBay. I'm trying to learn more about Tech history. I've seen Techs with different handles around this same time period. Were Techs sold at the same time with different handles? Were the aluminum handle Techs made and sold only in England/Europe? Was the ball end handle made up until 1979?

Thanks, picture of mine below -
There is a website from mrrazor that gives a lot of detailed info and galleries of pictures of vintage Gillettes.

Top Bottom