What's new

Gillette Tech

I really love using my Gillette Tech razors. The mildness of them is a huge bonus for me. BBS shaves are usually what I aim for so being able to go over areas repeatedly with a decent blade in them without irritation is easy. The ball end models 1950s and 60s models are the only ones I use. I’ve got an older fat handled one but do not like the feel of it. It’s weird, using my other razors like the Slims and OC razors don’t interest me much anymore. The Tech gives me at least the same results without too much fuss. Who here has the same love for this vastly underrated Gillette classic? What are your thoughts on it? Thanks!

You will find many Tech lovers on this board (myself included!). I also really like the Tech fat handle, as it vaguely reminds me of Greek architecture with the fluted column section

The one I’ve been using lately is a 1962 model.It’s Zamaked, super shiny. I have it’s original box somewhere. Cost 49 cents back then.
Seems to shave well with any blade I’ve loaded it with.

I love Techs too. Just used my wonderful travel set twice this weekend: A thin handled 1957 baseplate Frankenrazor. And of course with a Feather blade.

Every time I shave with it I am smitten by the fine shave and the simple modest setup. I have never really warmed to the ball-end handle though, I find it too slippery and hard to hold. My favourite is the fat handle. Just goes to show YMMV.

Go Tech!

I really love using my Gillette Tech razors. The mildness of them is a huge bonus for me. BBS shaves are usually what I aim for so being able to go over areas repeatedly with a decent blade in them without irritation is easy. The ball end models 1950s and 60s models are the only ones I use. I’ve got an older fat handled one but do not like the feel of it. It’s weird, using my other razors like the Slims and OC razors don’t interest me much anymore. The Tech gives me at least the same results without too much fuss. Who here has the same love for this vastly underrated Gillette classic? What are your thoughts on it? Thanks!
Used my 1952 gold ball end tech, yesterday and today. Effortless smooth shave. It is in my rotation of four favorite razors.

At the moment my french open end fat handle Tech is my most used razor. It gives me the easiest, smooth shave.
I'm so fond of it hat I delay using my thin handled & ball ended Techs into some nearer future...

IMHO, a Tech is the best razor to give to someone who is starting traditional shaving. I think I've given away at least half a dozen. I still have 5 or 6 Techs, with a Canadian 1952 ball end (gold) and a Canadian pre-war fatty in regular rotation.

I use my Weber Bulldog handle on all of my excellent Techs. Works really well with all of them, particularly the Flat Bottom version. Provides that extra bit of heft which I like.

I quite often grab my fat-handle, triangle-slot Tech. If I'm not in the mood for getting to know one of the many other razors I've managed to accumulate and not yet spent enough time with, it's either that Tech or a '64 Slim that I'm most likely to pick up.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Love the Gillette Tech and enjoy several from the 40s and 50s.

So simple and yet they provide consistent, repeatable results.

YMMV

I've got numerous Techs and they all give a great shave - even the clones with design pirated from the Techs, give great shaves.

Newb here going on my second month DE (previously only electric:a36:)

I tried a Tech for the first time last week...it was awesome. Then tried a SuperSpeed, I am back to the Tech. :thumbsup:

I shaved with a Tech on Saturday. It's one that would have been picked up when my dad was in the navy in the late 1950's. It's still in perfect condition and polishes up nicely.

So I never really understood the fascination with vintage razors. I thought new, modern, precision stainless steel was the ideal. And then my friend Joe put a gold-plated post-war Tech in my hands. I was instantly intrigued. I cleaned it up, loaded a new blade, and took it for a spin. 3 months later, I’m now the proud owner of a 3 more: rhodium plated Slim, stock Fatboy, and a rhodium plated British Aristocrat. I’ll always be grateful for my friend showing me how amazing vintage razors can be!

So I never really understood the fascination with vintage razors. I thought new, modern, precision stainless steel was the ideal. And then my friend Joe put a gold-plated post-war Tech in my hands. I was instantly intrigued. I cleaned it up, loaded a new blade, and took it for a spin. 3 months later, I’m now the proud owner of a 3 more: rhodium plated Slim, stock Fatboy, and a rhodium plated British Aristocrat. I’ll always be grateful for my friend showing me how amazing vintage razors can be!

I agree, I never understood the hype with vintage razors, the new shiny ones was the deal lol
When I started wetshaving some 4-5 years ago I was only shaving with new shiny razors and was very pleased with it.
Then I came across some vintage razors, like the Swedish Matador, Schick Krona and an old Ball End Tech.
Now I mostly use my vintage razors and sometimes one of the newer ones.
My favorites right now is Gillette Rocket HD, Gillette Ball End Tech and Lady Gillette.

Top Bottom