What's new

Gillette Tech

Are there any letters on one side of the bottom of the plate? It would be beside the "P"AT. on the one side and then 193"2" on the other side using the picture on jmudrick's post.
W2

Attachments

• 0851BA1B-23A0-433D-9662-8419629E03A2.jpeg
    0851BA1B-23A0-433D-9662-8419629E03A2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
I picked up my tech at an antique store for $5. Turns out everyone (including me) ask for straights so he sold it for a song.

It's a Canadian made "1932", brass, ball end with triangular slots and no date code. That combination doesn't necessarily lines up with what I've read here for pre vs post war production.

It could be a Frankenstein, made of parts for all I know. Buts it's the best shaving DE I have.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I picked up my tech at an antique store for $5. Turns out everyone (including me) ask for straights so he sold it for a song.

It's a Canadian made "1932", brass, ball end with triangular slots and no date code. That combination doesn't necessarily lines up with what I've read here for pre vs post war production.

It could be a Frankenstein, made of parts for all I know. Buts it's the best shaving DE I have.
It could be a pre-war Canadian 'Tri' (Tri = Triangle Slots) Tech with a mismatched handle. The Canadian Pre-war Tri Tech usually came with a 'Fat Handle'

The 1932 is the year the patent was granted. If memory serves, Gillette Canada began production around 1939(?).

The Canadian Pre-war Tri Tech is a really fine shaving razor, only surpassed (in my opinion) in the realm of Techs by the English Flat Bottom, the German #34 and (best of all) the Hybrid Tech.

Mine remains in my rotation, usually with a Kai blade (but Personna Med Prep, Feather, Bolzano and Personna Israeli Platinum Red blades are also synergistic) and the Maggard MR11 Handle.

Enjoy your wonderful razor. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Last edited:
It could be a pre-war Canadian 'Tri' (Tri = Triangle Slots) Tech with a mismatched handle. The Canadian Pre-war Tri Tech usually came with a 'Fat Handle'

The 1932 is the year the patent was granted. If memory serves, Gillette Canada began production around 1939(?)...

. :)

1932 Canadian patent was for the Thompson New design (slots and corner tabs) , not the Tech, it was simply carried over in the same way the New Improved patent number appears on the New. The US Tech patent has no Canadian counterpart, it was issued in 1942 at a time when no Canadian patents were being issued

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

1932 Canadian patent was for the Thompson New design (slots and corner tabs) , not the Tech, it was simply carried over in the same way the New Improved patent number appears on the New. The US Tech patent has no Canadian counterpart, it was issued in 1942 at a time when no Canadian patents were being issued

Thank you. Appreciate the clarification. :)

Please note that I usually refer to it as the Canadian pre-war Tech with triangle slots.

Very true, but it is commonly referred to as the 1932 Canadian Tech. I have one and it's a great shaver.
Commonly or otherwise "It" (or rather "they") is wrongly called that as 1932 applies to both Pre-war and post-war model (more properly triangle/oval) . If you say you have a "1932 " we have no idea which version you have.

Last edited:
1960 U.S. Gillette Tech Ball End, "new" in box, purchased today!
I personally hold each and every enabling member of B&B directly responsible for my new addiction!!!
Just HAD to have a vintage DE razor in my "collection" (that I swore I would not be having any part of)!
And absolutely YES I will be using this baby! ...might even change my mind about purchasing a modern, high-end, stainless steel razor,... but then again....

NO Zamak whatsoever in this razor!

Check out this find that's on it's way across the "pond" to a new home in Kalamazoo, MI!

Cheers!

1960 Gillette Tech 1.jpg
1960 Gillette Tech 2.jpg
1960 Gillette Tech 3.jpg

Last edited:
I personally hold each and every enabling member of B&B directly responsible for my new addiction!!!
Just HAD to have a vintage DE razor in my "collection" (that I swore I would not be having any part of)!
And absolutely YES I will be using this baby! ...might even change my mind about purchasing a modern, high-end, stainless steel razor,... but then again....

Check out this find that's on it's way across the "pond" to a new home in Kalamazoo, MI!

Cheers!

View attachment 1026822View attachment 1026823View attachment 1026824
Fantastic! You will love the shaves from that baby!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Cheers!

VERY nice Tech!

Congratulations! :)

Cheers!

I have several just like that one. It's my birth year. One of my favorite razors. I have several in nickel like that a a couple that are good plated. One of the gold plated ones has seen such heavy use that the plating is completely worn off on the base plate guards and part of the handle. It's down to bare brass in those areas. Still shaves great. It's probably good for another 50 or even 100 years as is.

Nice find. My Techs are as new and I enjoy using them. Still cant pull the cellophane of my No25 to use it though.
As soon as OCtober is over I loading up a feather in a ball end :D

Be very interested to hear your shaving impressions.
Well it arrived this afternoon and I had a chance to use it. Halfway through the shave I switched out the handle. I have a maggard's bulldog handle sitting around and after feeling how light and mild it is, figured the way to the handle might add to the experience.

It was a great shave. Achieved a DFS shave in three passes, with some touch ups. It was smooth, and I never felt irritation. Compared to my post war, it seemed more efficient (Of course being a such the handle out mid-shave, I can't guarantee that comparison).

So far I'm very happy with this razor. If it continues to shave this well, it'll stay in my rotation (and very prominently, at that). [emoji16]

As an aside, I got to use a sample of gft Skinfood for this shave. The scent fades immediately, which I prefer. It was also an awesome addition to my shave routine and will likely be ordered in a full size bottle .
proxy.php

proxy.php

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well it arrived this afternoon and I had a chance to use it. Halfway through the shave I switched out the handle. I have a maggard's bulldog handle sitting around and after feeling how light and mild it is, figured the way to the handle might add to the experience.

It was a great shave. Achieved a DFS shave in three passes, with some touch ups. It was smooth, and I never felt irritation. Compared to my post war, it seemed more efficient (Of course being a such the handle out mid-shave, I can't guarantee that comparison).

So far I'm very happy with this razor. If it continues to shave this well, it'll stay in my rotation (and very prominently, at that). [emoji16]

As an aside, I got to use a sample of gft Skinfood for this shave. The scent fades immediately, which I prefer. It was also an awesome addition to my shave routine and will likely be ordered in a full size bottle .
proxy.php

Outstanding! :)

I use the Maggard MR11 Handle on pretty much everything now, especially on my Techs.

Which blade did you use?

Top Bottom