What's new

Gillette Tech

Actually, they don't as Gillette held good specs for a non-CNC World. I have measured the blade gap on pre-war, post-war, ball end & English (flat bottom & ball end) and they all were within approx. + or - 0.002". That's damn good for today, let alone mid 20th century.

Personally, I don't think there is any difference in how they shave except that the post-war has better blade rigidity and shaves ever so slightly smoother. Blade gap/exposure is the same on all aforementioned.

Then it must be about the angle.
The Fat Handled Tech I have has a wider bottomplate than my Ball End, 25,5 mm for the Fat Handle and 25 mm for the Ball End.
The difference between the topcaps are 0,1 millimeter.
The difference in their handles can play a part as well.

Tech's do seem to vary in their aggresiveness.

I like the fat handle too, but it doesn't seem to be as popular. People complain about the lightness in the handle, probably because they are used to the Merkur 34C.

I also like the bakelite handle. It's rare to get one of those in good condition.

I don't mind the light handle.
And I like the Fat Handle Tech's heavier head.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Actually, they don't as Gillette held good specs for a non-CNC World. I have measured the blade gap on pre-war, post-war, ball end & English (flat bottom & ball end) and they all were within approx. + or - 0.002". That's damn good for today, let alone mid 20th century.

Personally, I don't think there is any difference in how they shave except that the post-war has better blade rigidity and shaves ever so slightly smoother. Blade gap/exposure is the same on all aforementioned.

And yet I, and others, do feel differences in the shaves provided by Techs of various types/vintages.

Could there be other differences in the razors impacting the shave?

Then it must be about the angle.
The Fat Handled Tech I have has a wider bottomplate than my Ball End, 25,5 mm for the Fat Handle and 25 mm for the Ball End.
The difference between the topcaps are 0,1 millimeter.
The difference in their handles can play a part as well.

These are differences that could impact the feel and shaves of the razors.

Shaving with the Hybrid Tech and the German #34 Tech has been very illuminating regarding the differences between Techs.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

I've found the Voskhod blades to be a great performance fit for all my Techs. The shave smooths out after the first shave. Before you go hopping from blade-to-blade, give the Voskhod a few more shaves, and work on your technique.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've found the Voskhod blades to be a great performance fit for all my Techs. The shave smooths out after the first shave. Before you go hopping from blade-to-blade, give the Voskhod a few more shaves, and work on your technique.

I've pretty much settled on using Kai blades in my Techs but will certainly try the Voskhods based on your recommendation. :)

Just won an auction for a pre-war (triangle slot) fat handle tech. Haven't had the pleasure of trying one yet, but got a good deal so I jumped on it. Condition seems good enough for the age. As it's all 'real metal', it should be super cleanable. Time will tell...

Getting excited already, lol.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just won an auction for a pre-war (triangle slot) fat handle tech. Haven't had the pleasure of trying one yet, but got a good deal so I jumped on it. Condition seems good enough for the age. As it's all 'real metal', it should be super cleanable. Time will tell...

Getting excited already, lol.
proxy.php

Congratulations! :)

The pre-war fat handled Techs with triangular slots and some of my favorite Techs. My favorite blade for the Tech is the Kai.

Happy Shaving!

Congratulations! :)

The pre-war fat handled Techs with triangular slots and some of my favorite Techs. My favorite blade for the Tech is the Kai.

Happy Shaving!
Thanks. I'm excited to try it. I don't know if I went a different direction, or what, but I missed some big standards to try in my almost 2 years (I think) of DE shaving. Glad I am rectifying this one. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. I'm excited to try it. I don't know if I went a different direction, or what, but I missed some big standards to try in my almost 2 years (I think) of DE shaving. Glad I am rectifying this one. :)

Be very interested to hear your shaving impressions.

I follow this thread very closely and love my Canadian 1932 Tech. I see people mainly talking about Prewar, Post War and '50s Tech. But what about later one? I see English Ball End X4 Tech which seller says from 1977 so very interested how it differ from the other ones?

I just PIF'ed my English Tech ball end (NDC) to my brother for his birthday.

So far since getting into DE shaving 2 months ago I have hooked; my son, brother, dad and nephew onto the practice.

I am now left with 2 Techs; my Canadian 1954 and my USA Tech (NDC)...and really its all I need.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I follow this thread very closely and love my Canadian 1932 Tech. I see people mainly talking about Prewar, Post War and '50s Tech. But what about later one? I see English Ball End X4 Tech which seller says from 1977 so very interested how it differ from the other ones?

Mostly the materials used in manufacturing.

I've got a couple of the mid-1970s British Techs and they certainly shave okay.

My preferences for Techs span from the Pre-war (triangle slots) through the mid-1950s heavy Ball End, including the English #24, English Flat Bottom, German #34 and the Hybrid.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Mostly the materials used in manufacturing.

I've got a couple of the mid-1970s British Techs and they certainly shave okay.

My preferences for Techs span from the Pre-war (triangle slots) through the mid-1950s heavy Ball End, including the English #24, English Flat Bottom, German #34 and the Hybrid.

Just my opinion and YMMV.
Thanks

I follow this thread very closely and love my Canadian 1932 Tech. ....

FWIW the "1932 Canadian Tech" is not a thing. Both pre-war and post-war (triangle/oval) Canadian Techs carry the 1932 New patent date which has nothing to do with the razor's production date. For example, here find the 1949 issue carrying said patent date.

1949 (U1 on Blade) Tech Canada.jpeg

Last edited:
FWIW the "1932 Canadian Tech" is not a thing. Both pre-war and post-war (triangle/oval) Canadian Techs carry the 1932 New patent date which has nothing to do with the razor's production date. For example, here find the 1949 issue carrying said patent date.

.View attachment 1026351
Thanks for the information
Very beautiful
Hopefully you are enjoying it, not just for display

.View attachment 1026351
I have a fat handle Made in Canada Tech with no triangle slots that I think is from the 50’s. Damn good shaver she is. In fact, my best tech I own.

I can honestly say I never met a tech i didn't like. I have 7 or 8 various models. All are wonderful shavers and I find very little difference in them from that standpoint.

I do like the solid heavier and longer ball end handles over the shorter far hollow handles. And some of the post 1960 techs heads are zamak. Those still shave fine but I feel I have to be more careful with them due to the weakness of that metal as opposed to brass.

But I love them all.

I have a fat handle Made in Canada Tech with no triangle slots that I think is from the 50’s. Damn good shaver she is. In fact, my best tech I own.

Are there any letters on one side of the bottom of the plate? It would be beside the "P"AT. on the one side and then 193"2" on the other side using the picture on jmudrick's post.

Top Bottom