What's new

Gillette SS Razors

I did a search before posting and came up dry, so apologies if this post is a dead horse. Are the Gillette Super Speed razors from your year of birth worth buying? If so what should one pay? Are they usable?

Thanks. I stumbled on an old one for $30 that looks like it's in great shape. I had a car that was as old as me ... wish I still had it. It got stolen not long after I sold it and was stripped of all her glory. But I digress.

I think I spent $25 on mine. Wasn't the best deal in the world, but it came out around the same time I did and shows less wear than I do. I did my final pass with it this morning (still can't go just straight & get DFS) & love the shaves I get with it. I would definitely recommend it if it's something that interests you.

I also have a Super Speed that belonged to my grandfather and it shaves great as well. My younger brother is looking to get into wet shaving & I recently found one for him at a local antique store for a few bucks (not his birth year, but I think he missed that boat). Great razors.

There were a number of superspeed models, depending on what your year of birth actually is, but as far as I know they're all great razors. I was a 1958 baby, so my superspeed is the "TV" flare tip. I actually paid a dealer price for it (but it's my birth quarter, and I couldn't resist). But I also got a 1960 flare tip for £15 ($24) on eBay UK - though prices tend to be higher over here.

I just got my birth year ss last week,a 40's style W-1 1951.I never cared for the black tip SS so when I saw the 40's style I jumped on it.It was very clean and turned out to be a great shave as well.I probably paid too much for it but as my birthday is a few days away it worth it for me.My dad and I were born on the same day opposite years 1951-1915,now I'm lookin for my fathers birth year razor,the closest I've come so far is a Gem 1912.

There is nothing rational about a birth year razor so it's worth whatever you want to pay for it.

Rationally speaking, I paid too much for my '78 superspeed but I will never regret it. ($50 for a NOS sealed birthquarter)

There is nothing rational about a birth year razor so it's worth whatever you want to pay for it.

Rationally speaking, I paid too much for my '78 superspeed but I will never regret it. ($50 for a NOS sealed birthquarter)

Ahh yes, I have not used a NOS razor before but would love to. Will you be shaving with yours or just admiring from a distance?

The very day I joined Badger and Blade, a week ago, someone was offering a 1963 SS. Although not my quarter, I just couldn't resist and bought it. I paid $20. It should arrive any day now.

I plan to have it plated in gold ($78 at Razor Emporium) for my 50th birthday next year. Unless someone here talks me into rhodium...

The very day I joined Badger and Blade, a week ago, someone was offering a 1963 SS. Although not my quarter, I just couldn't resist and bought it. I paid $20. It should arrive any day now.

I plan to have it plated in gold ($78 at Razor Emporium) for my 50th birthday next year. Unless someone here talks me into rhodium...

Go with the rhodium.
Go with the rhodium.
Go with the rhodium.

The very day I joined Badger and Blade, a week ago, someone was offering a 1963 SS. ... for my 50th birthday next year. ...
I wasn't too upset with reaching either 40 or 60, but my 30th and 50th birthdays seemed somewhat traumatic at the time, now, my own kid will be 49 at the beginning of the third quarter this year, so I wonder how he's going to feel a year from then. I know, myself, I will feel O-O-O-LD!

They're very good razors, among the best Gillette made. Hold out for one in excellent or better shape and at a good price. They are so plentiful, even if you are looking for one in your birth year and quarter. I've had a few in my birth year and quarter and keep finding one in better shape than I already have.

I got mine dated to 1954 not a birth razor for me:frown: (date code Z3) Paid 8 bucks for it. It is a great shaver.:shaving:

Last edited:
I have three 1947 razors - my birth year.

The good part is, that was a very good year for TTOs.
Anyway, I think it was. Distinctive construction.
I also have a 1946 Milord that is structurally similar.

Yeah, it's totally non-rational.
But there is some sort of magic when you find the design of something made only in your birth year (or only a few years if you count the Milords and Ranger Tech types) is unique and works exceptionally well for you.

Agreed, I think most of us are willing to pay a bit more for a Birth-Year, I paid $35.00 for my 59 SS, the Razor had a few minor water spots without notable plate loss, shaves great and I'm totally content. I picked up a second in similar condition for $25.00 which I'll give to my son when he's old enough to shave.

I don't care about birth year. But I love the Super Speed. My best shaves so far seem to come with my Fat Boys. But the Super Speeds aren't far behind. The red tip works best for me. The blue tip is least effective. I love the look of the 50s flair tips but the late 40s model is a great newbie razor.

Ahh yes, I have not used a NOS razor before but would love to. Will you be shaving with yours or just admiring from a distance?

I considered keeping it sealed until my birthday but decided it had been waiting long enough so used it the day after I recieved it.

Top Bottom