What's new

gillette slim adjustable

I kept my Slim at 9 (with Feather blades because I’d run out of everything else) for years, don’t even remember how I came to the conclusion that 9 was the setting for me. I semi retired it because it was giving me razor burn. Then recently I got back into thinking (ok obsessing) about shaving, razors, technique etc. I replaced my long depleted supply of Astra SPs and tried the Slim with one using the 5 setting. The result was a near perfect 3 pass shave with zero irritation. So for me at the moment, it’s setting 5.
Brother Nidan, I'm not surprised you were getting razor burn with the setting of 9. I have tough old whiskers, and 5 on the Fat Boy and 6 on the Slim and the Black Beauty are a perfect combination of efficiency and comfort for me. I do 3 pass shaves, and I'm generally a "set it and leave it" guy.

Reactions: saj
Brother Nidan, I'm not surprised you were getting razor burn with the setting of 9. I have tough old whiskers, and 5 on the Fat Boy and 6 on the Slim and the Black Beauty are a perfect combination of efficiency and comfort for me. I do 3 pass shaves, and I'm generally a "set it and leave it" guy.
I think I just kept turning it up because I was not getting the results I wanted. I should have adjusted it in the milder direction and worked on my technique. Now I know better.

This topic really highlights the YMMV in this hobby. There are quite a few people who like the lower settings and I find the lower settings counterproductive. I think setting 5 is real close to the EJ DE89 head. Witch I used for a year. Towards the end of my year with it I felt I needed something a bit more aggressive.

It depends on the beard growth, blade sharpness and number of times used of the blade.

For the first use of a blade;
On a daily shave, with an average sharp blade like Derby Platinum or Astra SP, I go with setting #7.
On a daily shave, with a sharp blade like GSB or GP, I go with setting #5.
On a 2-3 days shave, with a sharp blade like GSB or GP, I go with setting #9.

This is the flexibility of an adjustable razor which allows us to fit in various scenarios...

But at the end of the day, only one Slim Adjustable, or Progress, or Futur, or Rex or 6S/6C is more then enough for all of us.
But let's confess we are greedy hobbyiest :facep:

It depends on the beard growth, blade sharpness and number of times used of the blade.

For the first use of a blade;
On a daily shave, with an average sharp blade like Derby Platinum or Astra SP, I go with setting #7.
On a daily shave, with a sharp blade like GSB or GP, I go with setting #5.
On a 2-3 days shave, with a sharp blade like GSB or GP, I go with setting #9.

This is the flexibility of an adjustable razor which allows us to fit in various scenarios...

But at the end of the day, only one Slim Adjustable, or Progress, or Futur, or Rex or 6S/6C is more then enough for all of us.
But let's confess we are greedy hobbyiest :facep:
You make a great point. I have 11 adjustable razors and I love 'em all. I can't really say one is significantly better than the others. Any preference may come down to the cosmetic appearance or the comfort of the handle.

what is the realistic price of a 1963 model, user grade? seemingly in good condition, plating intact, head looks ok. seller says "great condition".

ps.: no box, no extras, razor only.

Setting 3 gives me a great irritation free BBS shave. It's a lovely razor, but I just prefer 3 piece razors as imo they're so much easier to clean.

sorry for the lame questions, is there anything I can ask from the seller that would prove that the mechanics are in good condition? i.e. loading a blade on video?
Don't rely on only one or two pics, especially if they are out of focus, grainy, or black and white.
Any decent seller should provide more/better pictures as asked. Obviously not a video, but you can make sure it is as good looking as they say. Poor lighting/blur and a written description can let your brain register, 'oh yeah, plating is good' when in fact under close, in focus, well lighted conditions, it might not be that good.

Any seller that can't provide very good pictures is a warning sign.

Also, as someone else already mentioned, ask if it turns and sits properly for each setting 1-9. If there is trouble getting it to turn to each setting, that's a whole other ball of yarn.

It's hard to buy a razor sight unseen. Unfortunately, I haven't found a Slim or Fatboy locally. Most sellers online don't know anything about the razor.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I haven’t counted my slims and fat boys, but I have at least 10 of each all purchased on eBay. Take the advise given in the previous posts. I look at photos closely. Sometimes they don’t have a good photo of the butterfly doors. I’ll contact the seller and ask for more photos. More often than not I don’t get the photos. That’s a no deal for me. I’ve never seen one under the $40 ish range (fixed price) unless it was pretty rough looking. In other words a finish that I feel I can not get back to decent looking. I’m always outbid on auctions therefore almost all my purchases have been for a fixed price listing or make an offer listing. If you follow the advice given you should be OK. Those Slims are tough old birds. They’re like Timex watches. They take a licking and keep on ticking. A few good sessions of hot tap water and Dawn detergent along with a toothbrush and you’re in business. Sometimes a little polishing with Flitz helps on the doors. I also use a few drops of sewing machine oil after the scrubbing.

Whether Slim Adjustable, Aristocrat Adjustable, Fatboy, Super Adjustable, or black plastic baseplate Black Beauty, #4 works best for me in all of them with whatever blade I use.

thanks everyone, in the end I let it go. it was just an impulse as I saw it on a local auction site. the asking price is 45eur plus shipping, and in the end there are only a couple of mediocre quality, low res photos. there was an offer by someone else for 35eur that was declined, meh.

I am fortunate enough to have a good quality 1967 slim adjustable that I got from another B&B member. I used it for the first time yesterday with a Derby blade, and I had to adjust up to 5 to get the shave quality I wanted. Not sure yet if 5 is my "goldilocks" setting on that razor.

Top Bottom