What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable - Fact or Fiction?

I have heard people say that when you turn the adjustment dial that the razor should be open or you can put unnecessary stress/damage the razor, but I have seen scans of the instructions that came with the Slim Adjustable and there is no mention of this. Does anybody know if there is any truth to this or if it is just rumors that gets started and never dies?

Thanks,

John

Rumors get started and never die.

As you said, the instructions never mentioned that, and Captain Murphy says there's absolutely no reason to open the doors or even undo the last 1/4 turn. I trust Captain Murphy, he has disassembled quite a few adjustable Gillettes, including a few rare ones. He knows what he's talking about.

Here it is:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-and-after-w-commentary?p=7134738#post7134738

Hi Edgar! This comes up a lot and I am always happy to lend my opinion on it. In simple terms, one will do absolutely no harm in adjusting any Gillette Adjustable model while it is closed and/or locked down.

Basically, when the user twists the adjuster dial clockwise to increase the setting, the adjuster plate rises accordingly, pushing up on the blade. This force overcomes the TTO spring which resides in the bottom of the razor (or a similar spring apparatus on other adjustable models such as the bottom-dials and toggles).

I don't think Gillette ever specified whether one is supposed to open the razor in order make adjustments or not. As far as design goes, I wouldn't think that the inventors would have designed a razor that has to be loosened in order to make an adjustment. Wasn't Gillette all about convenience and speed anyhow? Hope this helps Edgar:thumbup:

I've done it both ways with no problem.

Now there might be a problem if with the doors closed the dial turns with difficulty, perhaps because the is a build up of mineral deposits or gunk in the mechanism. In that case I would open the doors before turning the dial to avoid putting undue stress on the mechanism. But if he razor is clean inside, the adjustment dial should turn with little or no effort with the doors closed, as it was designed to do.

The interior and the mechanism can be cleaned with repeated soaks in hot soapy water, scrubbing with a soft toothbrush, and in extreme cases maybe pouring little Lime-a-way or similar product into the barrel of the handle (both ends) and working the dial and the closing mechanism back and forth. Caution: There may be a problem with aluminum. Read the instructions on the container of the product. And if used rinse with hot soapy water soon after application. Use good judgment and be conservative with the use of such products.

Last edited:
Fiction

I have 3 slims........my 1st I've been using for 30yrs now, and I always adjusted it with the doors tightly closed with no problems. works perfectly just like new. Back in the day before the internet nobody i knew opened any doors while adjusting either.

Last edited:
If you watch the old TV ads for these, the user has the doors closed when demonstrating the features and if look at the original owners instructions (which are probably on this site somewhere as a PDF, there are no instructions stressing that adjustments need to be made with the doors open. I have to agree with the captain.

That said, if you feel better making adjustments with the doors open, no harm done. Just don't freak out if you forget...it makes no difference in the end.

I also agree that it's fiction. If it were true, the vast majority of Adjustables would be "broken" by now. I have never seen an Adjustable that was broken in a way that could be caused by adjusting with the doors closed.

It works both ways, but if you have a more difficult adjuster that jams a bit, then loose doors may work smoother for you. Just a thought :eek:)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I prefer to crack the doors open before adjusting cause it only takes a second. Maybe no reason to do this, but there is no reason NOT to do it, either. Go with the feeling. Its not a big major deal.

The only time I change mine is while cleaning, and the doors are open. The rest of the time they all just stay on 9.

I've noticed two things about the Slim:

1. When the TTO doors are cracked open a bit before opening, they open very easily.
2. When the TTO mechanism is cranked shut like a vice, the adjustment knob is really hard to open.

I just verified this on my like-new unit. :001_cool:

I heard a recording of an old Car Talk show. A caller believed you should not turn on the car A/C when on the freeway at 75 MPH. It'll put sudden stress on a serpentine belt, which would break in the middle of nowhere. So, where are all the stranded motorists who messed with the A/C while driving at freeway speed? There is an old wives' tale that if you do strenuous exercise, such as running or cycling, in subzero cold then your lungs will freeze. Where are all the exercisers dropped-dead of frozen lungs? Now, you should not adjust the adjustable razor unless the TTO is open. Yet, it seems so intuitive to adjust it while the blade is secure and the TTO is closed. Where are all the ruined adjustable razors? All I see is the ones originally bought 30 to 60 years ago, which have been through all permutations of use, and still fit to sell on the auction sites.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've had more than my share of Gillette Adjustables, in fact started shaving with one in the early 60's. Seems to me that there are two distinct mechanisms involved, the turnrod that runs the silo doors open is one, inside the handle shaft. Blade adjustment, at least on my razors, is via the risers under the bed & the adjustment collar that is on the exterior of the handle shaft. Since the two don't touch, can't see why you'd need to do anything to the silos to adjust the razor

I've noticed two things about the Slim:

1. When the TTO doors are cracked open a bit before opening, they open very easily.
2. When the TTO mechanism is cranked shut like a vice, the adjustment knob is really hard to open.

I just verified this on my like-new unit. :001_cool:

Same thing with my Slim and my Fat Boy.

Top Bottom