What's new

Gillette slant?

IMG_1594739482041.jpeg

IMG_1594826617867.jpeg

IMG_1594826929464.jpeg

I've got an extensive accumulation of Vintage Gillettes, and all give me remarkable smooth and close shaves. I acquired a Parker Semi Slant when it was first introduced and it is an impressive performer. . No fear of it replacing any of my Vintage favorites, but it maintains a place in my rotation.

:c17: Why would anyone destroy such a beautiful razor?
Well it is a very simple answer. There are those of us (me included obviously) that really enjoy this hobby. Part of that hobby is trying different things. Such as making our own razors. Yes even trying to modify existing razors to get them to shave differently.

Part of trying new things involves failure. Especially if you are truly applying yourself. So naturally there will be razors lost in that process. Thankfully there are still literally 10’s of millions of Old types still out there. So it is just one raindrop in the ocean.

Tom.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Now THAT'S interesting. I'd like to try shaving with that. I'm very slowly working on a helical slant razor using some brass tubing sections for the plate and cap. NOT having a machine shop handy means I do a lot of very slow hand work, but really it's about learning for me. Getting a razor out of the deal is gravy.

I had another idea for "slantifying" a regular 3-piece DE or SE. We can get little M5 locking ball joints. Insert a ball joint between the head and handle and one now has a "Phoni Peroni." I haven't pushed too hard in that line yet -- it'll cost me about $60 to get the parts for one razor, and the result is a tilted slant as opposed to helical. If I get a little more interested in revisiting tilted slants I may try it just for grins.

O.H.

Something tells me that if you get to the point that you're satisfied with you'll have a whole lot of customers wanting a slant old type of their own.

I am so looking forward to seeing more of this project! Thanks for posting!
Oh, we are more than satisfied with it. I have no desire to run afoul of B&B's strict vendor rules and get myself banned. You'll need to look elsewhere for Gillette Slant razors. That's all I'll say on the matter.

Any razor can “slant” shave. Simply angle the head as you slide it across your face, the old “Gillette slide”. PS, as a vintage Gillette fan, it saddens me to see the destruction of that fine old razor.

Any razor can “slant” shave. Simply angle the head as you slide it across your face, the old “Gillette slide”. PS, as a vintage Gillette fan, it saddens me to see the destruction of that fine old razor.
There is an added advantage to a slant razor that probably makes the biggest difference. That is by torquing the blade and curving it. You are making the blade stiffer. That is always good.

As for “destruction” of Old Types. As I said before. There are 10’s of millions of these. There is zero net loss of even 1,000 people so choose to modify a razor that they will use. It is absolutely up to the owners of their property to do as they see fit. Nobody else’s. PERIOD!

Top Bottom