What's new

Gillette Single Ring, how efficient and what does it compare to?

I've not tried Gillette single ring razor. I know a lot of you guys have and I'm just wondering what modern day razors they are comparable to say smoothness and mostly efficiency?
Another thing I'm wondering is what years would be the more efficient razors or are they all the same?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The single rings (if the teeth are straight) shave like the thin cap Old Type — very efficient and require sound technique. A very nimble shaver under the nose and other trouble spots.

I struggle to identify a modern equivalent; some feel the technology could have stopped with the Old Type.

As for Single Ring years of manufacture — they’re all the same, AFAIK.

Last edited:
For some reason I was thinking the Old Type was a Single Ring, I guess I don't know the difference.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
+1 on Dan's comments, with one slight modification for me. I always feel like my SR's shave better than my thin-capped OT's....not a lot, but a little. But they absolutely do require some mindfulness of technique, and I can't tell the various SR years apart. I also can't tell the Double Ring shave apart from my SR's. I also can't come up with a modern shaving comparison.

Thin cap OT looks and assembles like a modern razor (3-pieces with the screw on the head being roughly the same length as today's razors). The SR has a barrel configuration. The screw in the middle is long and screws into a barrel. I don't have ready access to pics of a disassembled razor, but I'm sure someone will throw some on here before long.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys hopefully somebody will come up with a picture or two.
So from what I've learned the single ring is like 1905 through 1921 or something there about.
Wondering what year the old type was made.
At this point I try to a lot of other razors so I might as well try one of these too, I like an efficient razor.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
So Dan started this thread (Gillette Single Ring Appreciation Thread) a couple of years back....and it has lots of pics of SR's. As to the years made, SR's have serial numbers stamped on either their barrels or heads, which help give us an idea of when they were made. I know they started in 1905, but I honestly don't recall how far out they go. I have a 1906, 1908, and a 1916. No difference in their shaves, and no difference between them and my 1905 Double Ring.

Yeah it looks like I went through that thread before pretty good pictures and I do see the difference in the thickness of some top caps. I'm not sure if the top cap thickness is directly related to the earlier ones

R

romsitsa

The thin cap head (102) is very fragile, so getting an undamaged one is hard. With modern blades it’s really smooth and efficient, the thick cap (102a) is imho more “rough”.
The most efficient are the early ABC razors with the stamped base plate, these have the thinnes head.

I can only assist based on my own experience using my 1920 Gillette Single Ring, YMMV of course..
I initially found it to be not an easy nor comfortable razor (meaning abit aggressive) but I realized from experience it just a matter of finding the right blade pairing...and I did. Technique is important too. Once it came together...it's a quite efficient razor...I like to use it...after all, it's a 100 years old..
I need to fiddle briefly with blade alignment though...
20200219_221408.jpg

My fav blade with the razor...Tatra
20201024_000516.jpg

Forgotten about the 2nd question...comparable..
Hmmm...I have other OC razors including vintage and modern...
This Single ring feel is really different due to the thin cap and sharper teeth...
I would say this razor feel is unique on its own and a really incomparable...

I have tried and used maybe 7 or 8 different vintage Gillette razors and the Single Ring is the one I keep coming back to.

I have had a couple different Techs that come close but the SR is a bit better for me.

The ones I use most are a 1914 and a 1917.
They are pretty much identical in terms of use but the 1914 looks a bit better.

I have tried and used maybe 7 or 8 different vintage Gillette razors and the Single Ring is the one I keep coming back to.

I have had a couple different Techs that come close but the SR is a bit better for me.

The ones I use most are a 1914 and a 1917.
They are pretty much identical in terms of use but the 1914 looks a bit better.
Thanks for that.
Thanks to to the other fellows information

I've not tried Gillette single ring razor. I know a lot of you guys have and I'm just wondering what modern day razors they are comparable to say smoothness and mostly efficiency?
Another thing I'm wondering is what years would be the more efficient razors or are they all the same?
Modern razor IMO that is smoother and more efficient than a single ring is a FOCS

@Keto you inspired me so I pulled out my Single Ring that was restored by a well respected member of our community who sadly is no longer with us. This razor by far is my favorite of any vintage razors I have used and for me shaves as well or better than any modern razor I have. It does take attentiveness or it will bite and the angle is very important but the end result is a beautiful BBS shave. My best comparison to a modern razor would be a Wolfman WR1 .94 OC or a Version 1 Charcoal Goods level 3( but it clamps the blade tighter than a CG)
BFE79D89-554E-4E4B-83AC-1AD80D6BE6FC.jpeg

@Shavemd That's a couple of comparisons I can relate to. That's a nice looking one but I'm trying to figure out how the handle goes on it.
Don't they have a barrel, top cap and bottom that goes up into the barrel?
I think I'll call a couple of razors and add one of these Single Ring to my team of razors.
Appreciate that Mark.

@Shavemd That's a couple of comparisons I can relate to. That's a nice looking one but I'm trying to figure out how the handle goes on it.
Don't they have a barrel, top cap and bottom that goes up into the barrel?
I think I'll call a couple of razors and add one of these Single Ring to my team of razors.
Appreciate that Mark.
The bottom plate is attached to the handle and the top plate has a long thread that is screwed into a barrel from the bottom. My wood handle is hollow around a metal tube.

I should have updated this because I did get a 1918 Single Ring.
First couple of shaves were kinda harsh. Then I had one of the best and most efficient shaves I understand it better now. I'll be keeping it.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a lot of OLD Types, and the Single Ring is my favorite. Shaves better than the rest. I also have an Ivory Snow OLD Type head the I keep on a modern handle that shaves better than my other 3-piece OLDs. Great razors. If you have good technique you can get excellent shaves. If not, better stock up on styptic pencils until you do. 😛

Top Bottom