What's new

Gillette Red Tip TTO system broken (help needed)

Hello guys. I just bought a red tip d4 heavy in really good shape but the seller didnt check if the tto system works and the knob is loose. It closes and opens but in the open position the tto system sinks down. Below is a pic of how it looks like when the knob is loosened.

20230809_132029.jpg

I think its missing a screw at the bottom of the system. This is how it looks like.

20230809_132135.jpg

I have a B4 version of my red tip and this is how it looks like underneath.

20230809_132214.jpg

Is there any way to fix this like getting a replacement part? Is it worth even doing or should I just return it? Im pretty disappointed because besides this the razor is in spectacular shape with no rust on the outside of the razor and the plating looks great. I payed total $60 with shipping with original case with vintage blades as well. They are accepting returns or a 20% cash back for the inconvenience for the defect. Please any advice would be appreciated.

R

romsitsa

Search B&B for “dropped knob”. The bottom screw has no real function, the photo is bad I guess it is broken.
While the repair is easy, the razor does not look spectacular, the crimped area looks actually bad, imho.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's fixable, but should have been revealed. I'd return it.
You can fix these dropped knobs by using a tubing cutter with the blade replaced with a washer, and pushing the knob up, then running the tubing cutter around the groove at the bottom of the handle until it doesn't fall out.

It's fixable, but should have been revealed. I'd return it.
You can fix these dropped knobs by using a tubing cutter with the blade replaced with a washer, and pushing the knob up, then running the tubing cutter around the groove at the bottom of the handle until it doesn't fall out.
Is there a video showing how to do this? They normally don't seem razors just like like someone looking to get rid of old things they don't need. I'd rather there word for it but either way I have the option to return it.b

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Is there a video showing how to do this? They normally don't seem razors just like like someone looking to get rid of old things they don't need. I'd rather there word for it but either way I have the option to return it.b
No video that I'm aware of.

I've used the tubing cutter approach replacing the cutter with a brass washer so it was more gentle, I've also used the "handle" from a binder clip (no photo, you know, the small size binder clip that looks like a metal chip clip -- there's a thread somewhere here). Used gently, both approaches work with the brass and aluminum handled Gillette vintage TTO razors, and even the steel handled black tip Superspeeds from 1952. From experience, the Black Beauty/Super Adjustable and probably black handled Superspeeds from the 70s are a pot metal material that doesn't respond well to being reshaped. I tried fixing the handle drop on an old, grungy, beat up 69 Black Beauty. While it worked to a point, it weakened and then cracked and crumbled at the crimp; the bottom part of the handle separating from the top. I was able to strip a piece of 12 gauge electrical wire and wrap it around the TTO mechanism to take the place of the now missing crimp material and the razor still worked fine (even the last 1/4 turn worked again). It's ugly, and it works, but it falls into the "coulda vs shoulda" category.
BU1.jpgBU2.jpg

Top Bottom