What's new

How durable was the Gillette Red Tip paint?

I have recently acquired a Red Tip and was wondering how durable the paint is in regards to cleaning. It looks to be in pretty good shape so I’d like to see how it cleans up first before deciding on sending it in to Chris at BRG.

The reason I ask is because I like to boil water in a kettle and pour it over the razor slathered in Dawn in a tupperware and let it soak for a good 1-2 hours. I then use a blue nylon all purpose gun cleaning brush that has pretty stiff bristles to clean the razor. I like to use an ultra sonic cleaner if it’s a TTO just to make sure all the gunk and stuff is out of the mechanism. Is the red paint more durable than the black lettering on say a Slim or Super Adjustable? I’ve actually scrubbed away some of that paint using those blue brushes with these methods 😬

Thanks!

Are you sure the paint on your razor is original?
I repainted mine with Teslas red.
I haven’t received it yet but I’m pretty sure it is according to the pictures.

I should have clarified I didn’t receive it yet in the original post. And by removing paint I meant the lettering paint on a Super Adjustable 😅

In my experience if the paint is in good condition still it is tough but if it is worn it will come off. I use an ultra sonic cleaner for my razors. I have soaked in warm to hot water but never seen a need to use boiling water. Just my 2 cents.

In my experience if the paint is in good condition still it is tough but if it is worn it will come off. I use an ultra sonic cleaner for my razors. I have soaked in warm to hot water but never seen a need to use boiling water. Just my 2 cents.

Hard water minerals are *less* soluble in hot water,
which means that hot water is the wrong way to go
to clean them off ..., if that's your intention.

That's how Boiler Scale gets to be known as Boiler Scale.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Brush with warm water and Dawn after a quick soak. If it doesn't come clean with that it probably won't ever.
Go easy with these things, what has lasted 60 and 70 years can be undone in five minutes if one is careless.

Top Bottom