What's new

Gillette razor sampler

James:

What's your source of information. I know the dates reset but I didn't think this razor was still being made in the 60s.

Didn't the techs change shape in later years?

To keep things simple, I've removed the date on the razor.

With The Grain said:
yes, the slim handle and ball end is the later version, the thick/'bulldog' type handle i believe is the earliest one(almost identical heads though), though i do have an undated tech like the one you have pictured. John will probably chime back in soon enough and clear it up better. Very long running razor, probably becuase they're so easy to use and cheap to make.

That's where the problem lies.....in my mind, I had the ball end as the earlier version for some reason.

Hello Gentlemen,

As I said the Tech was first nationally available in 1939 but they were test marketed a year earlier....., the head basically stayed the same throughout the production and parts are interchangeable. During WW2 the only razor manufactured by Gillette was the Tech, production finally ended in the US in 1973, so it was Gillettes longest production model.

Date codes on razors appeared from 1951, before that date the Techs were unmarked as serial numbering of razors stopped earlier in 1931, about the time King C. Gillette lost his controlling interest in the company...., it would have been earlier if it wasn't for him.

As has already been said John a date code of G1 would make your razor from the first quarter of 1961, the letter codes on the Geosite table between 1932 & 1950 refer to DE blades.

The Tech was popular for so long probably because it was cheap & easy to manufacture, and it worked as a razor.

Regards
John

I'm going to help out a bit here. I can't remember all the exact dates of my razors.

proxy.php

From the top. Left to right.

1952 Gillette Superspeed with plastic TTO knob
1954 Gillette Rocket
195? Gillette Blue-Tip SS (Blue=Mild shaver)
1954 Gillette Red-Tip SS (Red=Heavy Beard, More Aggressive)
Late 1950's Gillette Superspeed
1958 Gillette TV Superspeed (One year only)
1960's Superspeed
1954 Gillette Aristocrat
1939 Schick Injector
Merkur Progress
1958 Gillette Toggle
1960's Gillette Long Handle Adjustable
Gillette 195
1960's Gillette Fatboy Adjustable
The Wilkinson Sword Razor

Here are some pictures of the 1904 Gillette that I recently purchased from an antique store.

The box is in poor shape with one set of hinge nails missing. It still claspes and locks, however. The outer (leather?) skin is missing in quite a few places.

I have not attempted to clean the razor, but some light cleaning will probably improve the looks significantly.

Two Blue Gillette Blue Blades are with the box. I doubt that these are original. One is rusted a bit, but the other one (in the razor) seems rather sound.

I am confident that this is the original 1904 Gillette model. Considering that it is over 100 years old, it's in remarkably good shape after giving untold amounts of shaves. This razor meets all of the indications for a 1904 model razor from this http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

-joedy

A

americanstrat98

the first time i shaved i shaved with a Gellette 1966 Adjustable (did not know that then) Dad said if i was going to shave i was to do it right so he tought me how to wet shave. with many attemts i did succeed in attaining the perfect shave. Now 10 years later, Dad presented me with my grandfathers razor as my grandfather did with him. I use it every day now and I would have to say bravo to you for your excellent blog on antique gellettes and i'm glad people still have an interest in a quality shave. Thumbs up to you.
PS. what is the best DE razor to use with my 9-1 Gill. ? I'm currently using muker blades.

Joedy said:
Here are some pictures of the 1904 Gillette that I recently purchased from an antique store.

joedy, does that razor have a serial number?

i ask because it looks exactly like my 1917 Gillette (dated by serial number).

i understand that the "1904" model was made from 1903 to 1906, and then
was made no more. in 1906, the second model (variously called the 1906 or the 102 model) was introduced.

i believe my razor (and yours) is the 1906 or 102 model, but i could be wrong (i'm a newbie at this)

can anyone clarify?

i'd love to know what the original Gillette (1903) looked like, and what the 1906 (102 model) looked like!

Have you located the serial number? It should be on the cylinder that screws into the bottom (the one that "receives" the screw post that comes down from the cap). That will give you a better indication when looking on the Geocities site of what model it might be.
(Edit: Sorry. When I realized how old this last post in the thread was it was too late. I didn't mean to make it sound as though it took a month to find a serial number!) :wink:

Can someone in the know help me ID these 3 Gillettes?

full

The steel closed-bar gives a great shave; the steel open-comb, pretty good; the gold open-comb, not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat,

I know the bottom one is a late model Gillette Tech. I'm starting to use one I got on eBay now, and it is a great shaver. Much more gentle than my 1954 SuperSpeed. The Tech gets treated like the red-headed stepchild of the Gillette family, but in my opinion it's better than the SuperSpeed, especially for beginners.

The other two, I'm guessing, are Gillette NEW models. Ironic, since they're a lot older than your Tech... The Tech wasn't made in an open comb version, I don't think. Others might be able to say more definitely...

Josh

how about putting this post (the one that started this thread) in the FAQ section for the BB? Under a section heading such as "How can I determine what razor this is on Ebay?" If we had that along with the links to the letter/number and serial number lookups, we would have it made. Or, we could use the info on the geocities site, and create a table with all of the info in once place-- letters/numbers, pictures by year, comments on effectiveness, and put it in the razor reviews section, and allow folks to add more ratings.

Vin

H2Andy said:
joedy, does that razor have a serial number?

i ask because it looks exactly like my 1917 Gillette (dated by serial number).

i understand that the "1904" model was made from 1903 to 1906, and then
was made no more. in 1906, the second model (variously called the 1906 or the 102 model) was introduced.

i believe my razor (and yours) is the 1906 or 102 model, but i could be wrong (i'm a newbie at this)

can anyone clarify?

i'd love to know what the original Gillette (1903) looked like, and what the 1906 (102 model) looked like!

I bought this razor from Joedy and gave it a clean-up; it has no serial number. This two ring model was made from october 1903 up to june 1906; then the single ring model was introduced and made until 1921.

proxy.php

On the left: single ring post june 1906 model; on the right double ring pre june 1906 model. This is the razor i bought from Joedy, but photographed after a thorough clean-up!

Peter

Great resource..thanks for sharing. I just bought a Gillette traveller from an antique store in Bisbee, AZ. Spent $15 and the thing looks nearly new. The leather case has a small tear but everything looks original including the little cardboard box of blades. I just used it with some Trumpers Lime and have to say that except for the small handle not fitting my big mitts I really liked the shave I got. I love the head and the gap is perfect. I'd love to be able to figure out what year mine was made in.

thanks again
S~

I don't really understand the dating on these old models. I have a open comb single post. On the handle itself, the razor says: PAT.NOV.15'04. However, on the cylinder screw, the serial number is P570149, which I believe dates this around 1921. So is this a 1904 razor or a 1921 razor? Anyone have any idea?

Top Bottom