What's new

Gillette razor sampler

Incredible post Jerry - very informative and well-organized.:thumbup1:

Do you have any info on Gillette's "Rocket" razor? It looks a lot like the early SuperSpeed

KUJO said:
Incredible post Jerry - very informative and well-organized.:thumbup1:

Do you have any info on Gillette's "Rocket" razor? It looks a lot like the early SuperSpeed

Mustafa:

I believe Rocket was the name for the early superspeeds either made or marketed in Canada and the UK. They appear to be the the same razors from the pictures I've seen.

Yes great review . I now know I dont have the Gillette Fatboy but the slim one. oh bollocks.. I want the Fatboy that one looks so cool..

Great post Jerry,

I had heard people talk about superspeeds and different Gillettes, but I didn't ever know which one was which, and then this, now I know what people are talking about! I agree that this should probably be a sticky, it's one of those that I'll keep going back to.

Randy S

wow - thanks for the pics. being a new DE user & wanting to purchase a vintage razor, this is going to be a huge benefit for me.

s~s

Are the colored pieces in the Super-Speed handle aluminum or plastic? Are the handles of the silver colored Super-Speed razors that are flared, aluminum?

Thanks,

Mo

Mojinack said:
Are the colored pieces in the Super-Speed handle aluminum or plastic? Are the handles of the silver colored Super-Speed razors that are flared, aluminum?

Thanks,

Mo

Mo:

The colored part of the handle on the super-speed is metal, not plastic. I'm not sure what the metal is in either razor. It could be aluminum but feels a little heavier than that to me.

i dont think any of the flared knob SS have plastic colored tips but i have a 51 superspeed with an aluminum handle and black plastic tip, same as any other 40's SS but lighter weight and for that i see it as a bad thing.

I got a ton of grief on SMF for ID'ing a black handle Super Speed as a 50's model (based on it's date stamp & this primer). It was brought up numerous times that the black painted handles weren't made until 1969 (& Gillette rolled over the serial stamps at the same time). I've alse sent the original poster a PM regarding this, without a reply or the Primer razor's being correctly identified. Is anybody going to fix this, or were all the people complaining wrong?

Kalypso said:
I got a ton of grief on SMF for ID'ing a black handle Super Speed as a 50's model (based on it's date stamp & this primer). It was brought up numerous times that the black painted handles weren't made until 1969 (& Gillette rolled over the serial stamps at the same time). I've alse sent the original poster a PM regarding this, without a reply or the Primer razor's being correctly identified. Is anybody going to fix this, or were all the people complaining wrong?

Kalypso:

Short answer is I don't know. Here's the resource I used to date my razors. My black handled superspeed is marked A3 and the last A shown for a TTO in that body of work is 1955. It shows in 1974 that A-J were used again but it does not list TTO (twist to open) razors for those dates. So, if someone has researched it more and come up with a different answer, they're obviously using a different source. I will remove the dates on the post on those two razors so as not to create any confusion.

If I was misleading in my ID of a razor, I apologize. I too used that link (which is down now) for cross-reference (along with your primer). Gillette rolling over their date stamping didn't make it any easier. But everyone insisting that the black handles were not made until 69 bothers me. I would like to be as accurate as I can be.

Kalypso said:
If I was misleading in my ID of a razor, I apologize. I too used that link (which is down now) for cross-reference (along with your primer). Gillette rolling over their date stamping didn't make it any easier. But everyone insisting that the black handles were not made until 69 bothers me. I would like to be as accurate as I can be.
Link is UP again... If precise identification is important, epsecially if you have a marketing bent, a fellow named Walts or Waits (the exact name evades my memory) has a book called the Safety Razor Compendium for about $45.. Just think it would be tax deductible and offset all of that razor sale income.:lol:

I was fortunate enought to find a 1953 Gillette Razor at a local antique store for the Bargain price of $1.00. It was covered in crud but I was able to clean it up shine it and now I have been using it. It is a TTO design and the handle looks just like the one pictured above but the knob on the end is slightly gold or brass colored. Does anyone have any ideas as to if this might be a different model or perhaps just an effect of years of neglect.

Just to let you know Jerry and others the Nr 9 here with the black handle comes in two different versions ! one with a long handle and one with a shorter handle!

You are correct Rene. I almost bid on a pristine short handled one on e-bay recently but just couldn't pull the trigger because I don't use the long handled one! I believe I'm getting my RAD under control!! Unfortunately, my SBAD is way bad!!

Gerry,

An informative post but that Tech razor (No. 1) is not from 1936 ..., the Tech was test marketed in 1938 and available nationally a year later. The shape of the handle is also wrong, the first Techs had thick handles - The Gold Tech handle. I do agree with you though that Techs are not the best a man can get, but some gentlemen like them :mellow:

I can't however agree with your sweeping statement:

"I've never owned or tried any of the open comb models nor any of the plastic handled Gillettes made in England. I wouldn't recommend them based on what I've seen."

The Gillette NEW range of razors from the 1930's consisted of some of the most beautifully crafted razors ever - the De Luxe & Deluxe series of models are a peak in razor form & efficiency. I agree the earlier combs dont work to well with modern thin DE blades (unless shimmed) but the NEW range are equally as good as any bar razor (better even) and aesthetically more pleasing to the eye.

As you said you're missing the Toggle & 1940's Aristocrat - a pity really because they're two of the nicest razors Gillette made.

I with you however on not recommending plastic handled razors:bored:

Regards
John

yasuo200365 said:
Gerry,

An informative post but that Tech razor (No. 1) is not from 1936 ..., the Tech was test marketed in 1938 and available nationally a year later. The shape of the handle is also wrong, the first Techs had thick handles - The Gold Tech handle. I do agree with you though that Techs are not the best a man can get, but some gentlemen like them :mellow:

Regards
John

John:

You obviously have a different, and maybe more accurate, source than the one I used which was noted and linked earlier. The stamp on the bottom of the head of my razor is G 1 which would be the first quarter of 1936.

Top Bottom