What's new

Gillette razor sampler

Nice collection! WIth so many gillettes, I hope that you'll be able to help me. I believe I have a flare tip rocket because of the handle and knob are identical to yours. Only problem is that mine has no markings other than the gillette diamond and the center post on top is sandwiched like a super speed, rather than thicker post like I've seen on all the other rockets.
What do you think?

Please post a picture.

I just bought these Gillettes from second hand market during a motor show.

I believe one with the box is superseed? Made in England and in good condition. Paid 8 Euros.

Second one (Slim Adjustable?) costed only 5 Euros because it didn't have a box included, at least the salesman told me so :) This one is made in the USA. 13 Euros for two Gillettes in good condition seemed a bargain for me or was I ripped of?

Any tips cleaning slims handle from green tan without ruining the coating?

The techs didn't come off too well here. I kind of like mine.

And everyone needs to remember that very thing every time you read about and consider a product from a review. It's only that person's opinion based on their skin and whisker types, and preferences in general. You really have to try something for yourself to see if it works for YOU.

I thought this may come in handy.

Super Speed vs. Rocket

40's style SS, 40's style Rocket; Flare Tip SS, Flare Tip Rocket; TV Special, TV Rocket; Red Tip SS, Red Tip Rocket
proxy.php

Bottom row: Aristocrat Jr., HD DR 500, German Parat
proxy.php

As an addendum, here are three English Super Speed type TTO's that I have come across. All have "Made in England" stamped underhead and they are marked I, II and III respectively.

Blue Tip, English Super Speed, Red Tip
proxy.php

New to the site, and saw your review, I deft have to agree with you on the Tech. I bought one at an antique store for 5 bucks, and I also bought a single blade GEM for 8. The GEM cuts soo much better then the Gil Tech. Is it the fixed head that makes the blade not cut soo close?

If a razor says patented 1904, it can't be any older than 1904, but it can be newer. The patent is the right to the exclusive right to reproduce an invention. While I have not researched the Gillette patent, it probably refers to the blade and to the holder.

I have number 6 that I got off the Bay bout 6 months ago.Love it!Setting is set on 5 which works perfect.I believe mine is a 1956 model if I remember correctly.

Hi-I collect shave mugs and razors. I've always been outgunned and outbid on the Schick injector with adjustable dial. I did buy 2 Pal adjustables on Ebay. I use a Gillette adjustable razor that I've had since I was 16 and love it. Even purchased more on Ebay at good prices. When I moved to Sw suburbs of Chicago back in 1994 one could still buy the adjustables w/black handle at Target. Not any more-the double edge provide the best shave. I have couple of Gillette speeds and even a gold aristocrat. I have the merkur double edge and all 3 adjustable razors, but the old Gillette adjustables are tops, not to mention cheaper. Bladerunner:rolleyes:

I have a Schick adjustable, interested?

Richard

DoubleD,

Did Gillette make an Aristocrat black long handle adjustable (your #9)? I have a gold plated one with a O4 date code, but have not seen any reference to one in any of the threads or info regarding vintage Gillettes.

DoubleD,

Did Gillette make an Aristocrat black long handle adjustable (your #9)? I have a gold plated one with a O4 date code, but have not seen any reference to one in any of the threads or info regarding vintage Gillettes.

Yes they did, although, it wasn't known as an Arsitocrat, per se. It was simply known as a Gold-Plated Adjustable. (thanks to Achim, once again, for image)

proxy.php

I have been trying to send you an Email with some info & questions but your address doesn't work. What address should I use.

Thank you,

Richard

Received this 1915 model today. Needs little buffing and probly I paid too much for this one :( I ain't even shaving with DE anymore :)

I've been trying to figure out what to do for a replacement razor after my second Merkur got clobbered in a bathroom cleaning "incident"...My eye has been on a Mergress, but last night, while idly(?) cruising the B/S/T page here, became mesmerized by a pair of Gillettes: a late-40s gold Aristocrat and '72 black long-handle Adjustable. I committed to buying them immediately. These will be my first Gillettes: my first DE was a Merkur Vision; when that one was damaged in the first bathroom disaster, I got a Hoffritz/Merkur Futur, which actually fit my shaving gestalt somewhat better than the Vision (which will eventually be sent off to the factory to fixed up, then likely sold (stay tuned if interested). Then the Futur got whacked...it appears to be okay, but I'm not certain yet, hence the search for a replacement. But that one's probably staying, meaning three razors here, and that means I'll have...I'll have a...Lord, I swore this wouldn't happen...help me spit that word out, people... :eek:

- Barrett

Last edited:
Top Bottom