What's new

Gillette President

Of all the American produced Gillettes, I find the President to have the most 'curb appeal'. That rhodium handle and heavy nickel plate head just have a sparkle that can't be matched. What do you think?

Here are four in my collection. Cased Y1 and, from left to right, Z1, Y1, and a smooth band Y2.

20191214_163027.jpg

I'm probably in the minority but I'll take the lesser loved Diplomat, I'll give you it's full retail of $5.00 for it. All kidding aside those are all some nice mint looking razors.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I agree - the Rhodium really sets it off. And personally I find silver-toned (whether Rhodium, or Nickle or just plain Silver) razors more attractive than those with the glitzy gold wash ..

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Of all the American produced Gillettes, I find the President to have the most 'curb appeal'. That rhodium handle and heavy nickel plate head just have a sparkle that can't be matched. What do you think?

Yeah, I'll agree. It's a nice looking, high-zoot razor American razor. I was real happy when I got my first one.

Gillette had the price so high I don't think they sold many ... it was more of an exclusive purchase, something for a Christmas gift for a loved one. The man in the drug store looking to buy himself a new shaver would just as soon pop for a Tech or Super Speed. That's my theory of their scarcity.

R

romsitsa

For a moment I thought the best looking US tto, so I placed the President 2nd after the 1949 Executive. But from all US made Gillettes it’s Bulldog, Big Boy, Executive, President, strictly imho.

Adam

For a moment I thought the best looking US tto, so I placed the President 2nd after the 1949 Executive. But from all US made Gillettes it’s Bulldog, Big Boy, Executive, President, strictly imho.

Adam

Yeah, I think the executive is slightly nicer, a little heavier—closer to the British Aristocrat. But, the President is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Yeah, I think the executive is slightly nicer, a little heavier—closer to the British Aristocrat. But, the President is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 - I've both of them, and though I don't find any appreciable difference in their shaves, like Demaratus I'd give the edge, if forced to choose, to the '49 Executive. The barberpole handle is classier, and the extra couple grams help ..

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice looking razors. I’d have them in a flash. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I never have shaved with a President ,,:)
Sounds funny :)
Great looking Razors !
Just curious, what have President's used to shave over the years ?

Top Bottom