What's new

Gillette NEW, further ID?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thought I didn't need any more razors, but bid on a NEW recently.

I think the OLD's about the best thing going - I have three, including an ABC set. Anyways.

The rather sharp comb of an OLD teaches you a light touch- But I've always wondered about the comb on a NEW - so here's this one.

I *think* it's a NEW Long Comb, but which one? The Palmolive-Colgate one, it resembles, according to Mr-Razor.

full

Thin cap? How many millimeters? I'd love to get closer to knowing exactly which NEW this is.

full

It did come with a box (not pictured). Brown leather, poor shape, blue or green felt inside, held a (missing) blade safe horizontally north of the handle.

About to take this thing for a spin, find out what NEW is all about. It does have perfect teeth and finish, apparently wasn't used much.

Any help's appreciated from NEW aficionados.

AA

It's just a NEW long comb, it depends on what case you have as to what set it is. This is a Berkshire.
2017-06-27 17.35.58.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My LC is a Palmolive version. The head I believe is entirely gold plated, but the handle is polished brass. It's also a 3 piece handle, neck, barrel and ball end all being separate pieces.

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1204.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks, all!

I'll shoot the box ... It's in poor shape. But I've seen too many mismatched sets to believe; my silver ABC nonwithstanding.

Will say the NEW gave an amazing shave; glass-smooth.

Well. Did use a Feather.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@turtle @Esox here are some shots of the case ...

full

It IS pretty poor.

full

full

I know a little bit about OLDS, but this is NEW to me ... :a14:

full

Any help - thanks!

AA

Interesting that one razor has the patent numbers stamped on the upper ring of the handle while the other has it on the lower ring.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Now for a photo of my pointy-toothed OLD ... :001_302:

For real, it has sharp teeth. Maybe worn down to points.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interesting that one razor has the patent numbers stamped on the upper ring of the handle while the other has it on the lower ring.

Good point. His seems to be Canadian, mines marked USA. Maybe that's it ...?

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Three piece handles. The neck and ball end are a press friction fit into the barrel so easily taken apart, and what leads to virtually all of them having cracks in the barrel. To be honest, I have no idea which end the stamping should be on.

Top Bottom