What's new

Gillette NEW, further ID?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Interesting that one razor has the patent numbers stamped on the upper ring of the handle while the other has it on the lower ring.

It should be on the bottom. I'm afraid people take things apart and don't always put them back together correctly.

@turtle @Esox here are some shots of the case ...

full

It IS pretty poor.

full

full

I know a little bit about OLDS, but this is NEW to me ... :a14:

full

Any help - thanks!

AA

To me, that looks like a Fat Handle Tech case, but don't quote me on that. All of the NEW cases I believe have the razor setting at an angle.

Interesting that one razor has the patent numbers stamped on the upper ring of the handle while the other has it on the lower ring.

I have razors that have no cracks and appear to have never been used that have patent info on either end. I don't think the guys on the assembly line really cared.

I don't mean to question you more :001_302:, but I don't think they made 3 piece handles.

The handles were made out of 3 separate pieces. They were not meant to come apart, but they do. Hey, when your 80-100 years old, stuff happens.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The handles were made out of 3 separate pieces. They were not meant to come apart, but they do. Hey, when your 80-100 years old, stuff happens.

I started coming apart when I was 40 lol.

Thanks for not making me take mine apart. It's glued together, but not permanently.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
To me, that looks like a Fat Handle Tech case, but don't quote me on that. All of the NEW cases I believe have the razor setting at an angle.

That's what I mean- in 90 years, who knows what got tossed together ... Also why I couldn't ID from mr-razor: no box for NEW had both razor and blade safe parallel.

Three-piece handle: the ball end does come off; there are two cracks, but tiny ... Which means the top/screw part comes off, hmmm.

One thing is known: it shaves great! No bent teeth and perfect plating is a plus, too, for $10 - not bad.

AA

I thought you were joking! Tell me you were joking!

Ok, I was joking. :blush:

If my fingers had typed what I meant, it would have been something like, I don't think they came from the factory in three individual pieces.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's what I mean- in 90 years, who knows what got tossed together ... Also why I couldn't ID from mr-razor: no box for NEW had both razor and blade safe parallel.

Three-piece handle: the ball end does come off; there are two cracks, but tiny ... Which means the top/screw part comes off, hmmm.

One thing is known: it shaves great! No bent teeth and perfect plating is a plus, too, for $10 - not bad.

AA

When I started using mine, the handle pieces started to become loose, which is why I lightly glued them together with a glue that dries brittle. A soak in hot water and mine will come apart again.

If you find with using yours the handle pieces do become loose to a point of being a nuisance, see these threads for a permanent fix.

Tutorial: Repair cracked handles/shafts in Gillette Old Types etc.

Head and handle repair of Gillette

Some say to use a brass toilet bolt cut to fit so there wont be any reaction between two different metals being in contact with each other.

They are a nice razor, enjoy it. If you like the OLD types, I've read the NEW SC is "an old type with blade gap." Mine is certainly more aggressive than my LC.

See the difference in base plates. NEW SC on the left, NEW LC on the right.

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks, @Esox ! I see it. Definitely the one on the right.

I'm just glad there are still razors out there to be picked up by new generations who will appreciate them.

Milsurp rifles, I notice, have dried up and appreciated in value since I was collecting them. Don't think vintage Gillettes have gotten there yet ... But they will at some point.

AA

Ok, I was joking. :blush:

If my fingers had typed what I meant, it would have been something like, I don't think they came from the factory in three individual pieces.

Thank you, I know you know better! :thumbsup: I couldn't have said what I thought! :whistling:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Don't think vintage Gillettes have gotten there yet ... But they will at some point.

That day has almost come in Canada. Goodwill, Salvation Army, Value Village, none of those stores can display or sell ANY used vintage razors because of health concerns. They are exceedingly hard to come by locally here. I was told by the manager of the main Goodwill store here downtown that if they get any in, they get tossed in a pail and sent to the head office for scrap!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Health concerns!?" I would gladly buy a Toggle off someone with typhus, cholera and plague - I've heard this boiling water thing works wonders. (Other methods are well covered here)

What a shame.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
"Health concerns!?" I would gladly buy a Toggle off someone with typhus, cholera and plague - I've heard this boiling water thing works wonders. (Other methods are well covered here)

What a shame.

AA

Yeah it is a shame, but what can ya do...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Can't get this NEW out of rotation - the shaves are just that good!

Never a rash or nick. So close, it's glass-smooth half day later.

In fact (ahem) a second NEW has joined the stable ... and it looks as if it was used ONE time.

full

full

May even try one of the 1930s "Blue Spur" blades that are still in the safe ... carbon of course.

full

AA

Top Bottom