What's new

Gillette DE blade production moving??

There is an article on Sharpoligist discussing what is the best DE blade. The article does not compare blades made in Russia. The article claims that Gillette is moving its Russian DE production to Pakistan or China. This is news to me has anyone heard of this before?
Please stay clear of the politics at hand. I am just curious about the move and the quality of the new production of blades.

lasta

Blade Biter
Considering the (supposed) proportion DE blades account for their business, I don't think setting up in Pakistan is very likely.

Gillette Super Blues repackaged as GSBs? Maybe.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The more recent Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades made for the Indian market are being made in China, so I wouldn’t drop my biscuits in my tea in shock if the St. Petersburg blades found new life in a Chinese manufacturing center.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
It sounds like this has been brewing for some time.

They halted all new capital investment in Russia a year ago. They will probably manufacture-out their current materials, pack up shop, and move. If the new blades are made on the same equipment, I suppose they may be the same quality. If they have to install new equipment, it could go either way--worse or better, but probably worse.

Interesting news, indeed. I do wonder, with so much uncertainty in the word today, whether or not a move to China or Pakistan would better secure Gillette’s blade production long term.

I would also expect that it would be costly to dismantle the equipment, move it and then reassemble it. Also, if the equipment has been fully amortized, there might not be much of a desire for Gillette to move it.

In any event, it is a reasonable assumption that some of the equipment would be left behind and new equipment deployed at their new manufacturing facility.

It might be wise to stock up on blades you like that are coming out of the Saint Petersburg facility.

I’m pretty sure that neither current sanctions nor the RF itself would allow relocation of equipment cross-border. So moving production would mean using existing non-RF plants (quite possible) or building new ones (rather unlikely imo).

I was wondering about this too. It is a wise move for P&G to start decoupling and planning for alternative manufacturing locations considering international events. China should be off the list considering the degrading situation in Taiwan. I would bet on Southeast Asia or maybe their own North American backyard in Ohio and Mexico.

All they need to do is maintain the existing plants until the new manufacturing capacity is operational. Once that happens, they can pull the plug and abandon the Russian facilities and get a nice tax write off with a profit write down. These big moves take time so I think we have time to stock up on our favorite blades. As for the quality of the new production sites, who knows, hopefully the new machinery is better. Prices could increase too.

Last edited:
Many American companies are divesting themselves of investments in Russia. PPI (St. Petersburg Products International) is a joint venture between P&G/Gillette and businessmen in Russia. The paper company I worked for until I retired nearly 10 years ago was part owner in a paper mill in Russia not far from the Finnish border. It was also part owner of a pulp mill in Siberia. The investments in these two mills has been sold due to the crisis in Eastern Europe.

Although the PPI facility in Russia was known to produce many popular DE blades, many excellent blades have been produced in countries such as Bangladesh, China, Czech Republic, Egypt, Germany, Greece, India, Poland, Turkey, USA, and Vietnam. As has been noted, PPI was not even the only blade producer in Russia.

Pakistan is known to produce a wide variety of surgical instruments for hospitals. I presume they can make razor blades. The two things I would not purchase from Pakistan are straight razors and knives as these products involve a lot of craftsmanship which seems to be lacking. Pakistan is known for producing Razor Shaped Objects rather than straight razors that will shave. If Gillette provides the raw materials and machinery and oversees production, the blades made in Pakistan should be just fine.

I have enough razor blades to last for at least 10 years, so I am not concerned about running out anytime soon. Some of these blades are made in Russia, but many are made elsewhere.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Many American companies are divesting themselves of investments in Russia. PPI (St. Petersburg Products International) is a joint venture between P&G/Gillette and businessmen in Russia. The paper company I worked for until I retired nearly 10 years ago was part owner in a paper mill in Russia not far from the Finnish border. It was also part owner of a pulp mill in Siberia. The investments in these two mills has been sold due to the crisis in Eastern Europe.

Although the PPI facility in Russia was known to produce many popular DE blades, many excellent blades have been produced in countries such as Bangladesh, China, Czech Republic, Egypt, Germany, Greece, India, Poland, Turkey, USA, and Vietnam. As has been noted, PPI was not even the only blade producer in Russia.

Pakistan is known to produce a wide variety of surgical instruments for hospitals. I presume they can make razor blades. The two things I would not purchase from Pakistan are straight razors and knives as these products involve a lot of craftsmanship which seems to be lacking. Pakistan is known for producing Razor Shaped Objects rather than straight razors that will shave. If Gillette provides the raw materials and machinery and oversees production, the blades made in Pakistan should be just fine.

I have enough razor blades to last for at least 10 years, so I am not concerned about running out anytime soon. Some of these blades are made in Russia, but many are made elsewhere.
Perfectly said. My initial thought was I should stock up on some Nacets, but then I thought about it. If Nacets run out, or if the new production versions aren't as good, I'll switch to a different blade. It might be the excuse I need to step up to Feathers.

I am not sure about stocking up myself yet, I have alot blades like many others do however I will look into adding some of my favorites here and there so that I have them as I do enjoy them.

For those who would like to view the source, Sharpologist wrote following comment in Analyzing the Wet Shaving Market 2023: ”reliable sources have just told me that Gillette is moving all of its razor blade production out of Russia (probably to India and/or China).

It’s up to everyone to assess the reliability of this short comment as one sees fit.

Given the current political climate, such a decision would not surprise me, but the logistics should not be underestimated either if blade quality is not to suffer.
Some of the countries that have been mentioned on this site as possible location for blade production have also issues of their own and could find themselves on some embargo list at one time or another.

In short: If you want to play it safe, stick to Feather and Bic (or become a straight shaver)… :straight:

B.

A lot of people rate the Indian Gillette 7 O’Clock Blacks highly, I believe. In any case P&G have to move on now and I don’t imagine there is any particular magic in Russian manufacturing that can’t be replicated somewhere else. I view this as an opportunity for Gillette to make something new and great. New factory, new technology, better products - why not? They’ve had more than a year to plan this.

I think it’s probably exciting news for DE shavers.

Top Bottom