What's new

Gillette DE blade production moving??

I'm sure there are companies out there that will build blade making machinery if someone is willing to pay them. I just doubt very much that DE blades are made on standardized equipment. And that means if new machinery is made, it's going to be different machinery. And the blades will be different, as well.
I agree. When a company constructs a new factory, the machinery inside is also usually made to custom order specs. This applies for many factories--cars, papermills, microchips, airplanes, commercial bakeries, you name it. They can't buy blade making machines off the shelf. You can buy certain machines off the shelf like lathes and metal presses, but even many of those often have long lead-in times because they're also built to custom specs. I imagine there are several manufacturers out there who will make just about any machine that companies want if they provide the specs required to make it.

Either way it’s a good idea to stock up on blades you like. We‘ve seen Gillette recently change blades like the 7 O’clock Yellow and several discontinued like Blue Gillette Super Platinums, Gillette Swedes, Polisilver Super Iridium’s, and Israeli Personnas.

I still have 800 Polsilvers that should get me through at least 23 years more. I like variety though and blades are cheap so I expanded on that a bit. What I like now I may hate soon.

I thought that they were made in both countries?
Original Wilkinson Swords in India were made in India only, then the Indian ones stopped shipping and we could only see the Chinese ones for many years, 2 years (or was it 3) - shipping started from a new Gillette India facility which is current production. The chinese ones are not made for sale in India anymore, I believe it is for rest of S.E Asia / Asia

Just got some Sputnik blades with fresh prod dates. Looks like PPI plant is still working.

Attachments

• 1691519690541.jpg
    1691519690541.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 32
Greetings. I learning of this move from a youtube video a few weeks ago from Razoremporium. I was going to place an order for Perma-Sharp (100) from Maggards, but they are out of stock. I did find them on Amazon (US) from seller ‘Razor Blades Club’ and picked up two sets of 100 for $9.99 each (10 cents a blade). Got them yesterday and checked the box. That stock is still Russian and production date was Jan/22.

Note: before I ordered these from amazon I posted a question to recent buyers their blades point of origin. Four buyers responded and all were good, with the latest report from October. However, two people also stated Astra SP are now Indian. Neither of these guys were able to return them. One wrote, “Side note: don't get the Astra Platinum (green box) they’re mostly new production and made in India and I just did a comparison with them against the original Russian made and the India ones are so much worst to the point that I can’t even use them at all, it was like putting my face over a fire...”

One wrote, “Side note: don't get the Astra Platinum (green box) they’re mostly new production and made in India and I just did a comparison with them against the original Russian made and the India ones are so much worst to the point that I can’t even use them at all, it was like putting my face over a fire...”

Who are they trying to kid? Are they using the same steel? Not likely. Are the using the same equipment? Not a chance.

Did the use the same designs to print new boxes? Absolutely!

No doubt, the Astra box is probably equal to the previous one. The blades inside, not so much!

I see prices going up all over for the PPI Russian blades. Inventories must be running low and/or people are stocking up. Wizamet prices are way up. I bought 750 of them on sale awhile back for way less than today's best prices. I'm hoarding Wizamet, GSB, old Astra SP, and USA lab blues. Those and other various brands I have small amounts of will last me forever. I don't want to ever have to buy Chinese blades. Some Indian blades may be good but I figure why substitute when you can stock up on what you know you like.

In the local store here they have stocked Gillette DE blades. On the outer box you can read "Made in Russia" on some boxes, on other boxes you can read "Made in China". All boxes have a date code printed on them. The older ones are made in russia, the newer ones are made in china. I think, that when the russian ones ares sold out, then we can only get the chinese ones. I suspect, that all blades, made for P&G, like Perma Sharp, Astra, Gillette etc. are not made in St. Petersburg anymore. Btw. the box looks absulte identical except for the date code and the line "Made in...".

Due to turmoil in this market I will not purchase any Gillette blades until dust settles a bit. I am sure quality will suffer, if not already messed up. Heck, I am willing to wait until they bring it back home, and be done with all this nonsense.
I imagine PPI is still spitting out blades made under Gillette name, while Gillette is out of picture. Although, I could be wrong as I have been wrong before.
Certainly not touching Gillette blades made 2022 and onward.

Who are they trying to kid? Are they using the same steel? Not likely. Are the using the same equipment? Not a chance.

Did the use the same designs to print new boxes? Absolutely!

No doubt, the Astra box is probably equal to the previous one. The blades inside, not so much!

Exactly. At least some, not all, sellers on Amazon are correctly listing country of origin. But, since the box is exactly the same, extremely few consumers will know. See highlighted area of this screen shot

Attachments

• 1972C30A-72DA-4228-AC19-8F3B8E5C6FB2.jpeg
    1972C30A-72DA-4228-AC19-8F3B8E5C6FB2.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 52
Due to turmoil in this market I will not purchase any Gillette blades until dust settles a bit. I am sure quality will suffer, if not already messed up. Heck, I am willing to wait until they bring it back home, and be done with all this nonsense.
I imagine PPI is still spitting out blades made under Gillette name, while Gillette is out of picture. Although, I could be wrong as I have been wrong before.
Certainly not touching Gillette blades made 2022 and onward.
I think you have blades to last you for the next century of two. After that we will see. :c1:

Don't think Gillette are out of PPI. They just stopped making there the DE blade models for the Western world there. Sputniks and Rubies (which are intended for Russia) are still being made there (post #108 - 06/06/23). I saw Rubies manufactured in May 2023 on a Russian site.

Top Bottom