proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Anytime :) Use your other Superspeed as a guide for proper alignement.
It’s in good condition, will polish up nicely.

Adam

As can be seen there is no misalignment of the doors or anything else on the Blue Tip. And the loss of the endcap is nothing more than a cosmetic issue.
I have over 25 SS in my collection. I have worked on over 100 of them. I fix and repair them regularly myself. And have been doing so for several years. The brass two piece center bar is pleanty strong enough on its own to keep everything in line and working with or without the endcap.
There are only two exceptions to this fact, the 1960's TWIST with plastic handles and the later Flair tip with black handles which were the last of SS line. Those exceptions used a head design and the center bar that did not hold the doors. The endcap was the hinge for the doors and it was pressed in at the door hinge point. From R3 date code forward on Black handled SS. This new head design meant that if you lost the endcap the doors fell off the razor.

EVERY SS before this razor had the two-piece folded center bar that was thick enough and strong enough to support and work forever without the end cap.
The end cap was always cosmetic and only functional in the two exceptions mentioned.

If the door hinge flaps get bent enough to effect the door alignment, which is possible with damage or abuse it is a simple matter to use straight jaw pliers and correct the flaps. if the are moved enough tho spring the door loose then the razor will likely also have problems opening and closing at all.

R

romsitsa

No and no.
Flare tip Rockets, Slims, Super adjustables, Miladys and later nickel plated Flare tips also use the three piece T bar.
Here is a small head Flare tip.
https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1964 (J4) Super-Speed Vacation Travel Kit beschriftet Logo.jpg

The blue tip is missalingned, the doors sit above the T bar and the gap is visibly off.

Without the endcaps the arms work as a spring under constant tension, just remove the end caps of any Gillette or take an early TTO, load a blade an look how the arms open up under pressure, it's a very poor design. On a side note, how would an adjustable work without endcaps, where the central spring pulls the whole assembly together?

9850575814db3aba5a2219b21c81d126.jpg

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
No and no.
Flare tip Rockets, Slims, Super adjustables, Miladys and later nickel plated Flare tips also use the three piece T bar.
Here is a small head Flare tip.
https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1964 (J4) Super-Speed Vacation Travel Kit beschriftet Logo.jpg

The blue tip is missalingned, the doors sit above the T bar and the gap is visibly off.

Without the endcaps the arms work as a spring under constant tension, just remove the end caps of any Gillette or take an early TTO, load a blade an look how the arms open up under pressure, it's a very poor design. On a side note, how would an adjustable work without endcaps, where the central spring pulls the whole assembly together?

View attachment 935078

Adam
The Blue tip IS not misaligned.
The arms do Not work as a spring. It is Not a poor design. It is a design that was a compromise yes, but not a bad design. The End caps DO NOT serve a function other than cosmetic. The arms DO NOT spring when the TTO is worked.
I have NUMEROUS SS without end caps and they all work perfectly.
The Center bar is sitting slightly recessed because the Blade Tray is slightly teaked on the left being pushed upwards likely from falling off the counter.
The correction needed is for the center bar and doors to be taken off and the blade tray to be adjusted using likely hand pressure and nothing more.
Your Theory is so wrong it is comical.

Anyway I am done debating and hope the OP enjoys their new SS.
YMMV!

R

romsitsa

The Blue tip IS not misaligned.

The Center bar is sitting slightly recessed because the Blade Tray is slightly teaked on the left being pushed upwards likely from falling off the counter.
The correction needed is for the center bar and doors to be taken off and the blade tray to be adjusted using likely hand pressure and nothing more.

It’s not misaligned, but needs tweaking, ok.
It doesn’t really matter, imho, how many SS you have or repaired, as I have done the same and all flex without an endcap.
If it’s not a bad design I really wonder why Gillette changed it four times.

Adam

Mass production cost saving measures. Nothing more nothing less.
And they don't FLEX without the end cap. Don't care how many times you say it.
Gillette was in business to make money. They made the best product and the lowest cost and did so for nearly 100 years.
Other makers razors were higher quality, but they also cost more than the Gillette 9 of 10 times as well.
To produce the exact SS today the per piece cost would be somewhere near $35 each. And they would have to retail for $125 for the same margin of profit to come back as they had in the 1950-1970's.

So that is why they changed the design four times, by the way it was tweaked over 50 times during it's production, as you say it was not and never will be a "bad" design.

R

romsitsa

Slightly opened and blade clamped down. It wouldn't flex if the lower part of the bar would have been soldered together.

IMG_4831.JPG

Adam

Guys I really do appreciate your efforts here. I'm really really looking forward to receive this one and finally give it a go afterso many opinions.

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

It’s not misaligned, but needs tweaking, ok.
It doesn’t really matter, imho, how many SS you have or repaired, as I have done the same and all flex without an endcap.
If it’s not a bad design I really wonder why Gillette changed it four times.

Adam

Slightly opened and blade clamped down. It wouldn't flex if the lower part of the bar would have been soldered together.

View attachment 935117

Adam
Not a Super Speed and not the same razor in any way shape or form. You don't really understand the question or the argument at all.
TOTALLY different razor and head and hinge design.

R

romsitsa

Now the lack of end tabs only counts on Super speeds. Totally is bit harsh as it’s the same, with minor differences. The fact that the T bar is folded in the middle and the arms are forced up when the doors clamp the blade onto the base plate is not one of them.

And a 40ies SS, slightly loose and blade clamped down:
IMG_4835.JPG

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam I am tired of trying to get you to understand. Please leave your argument for another day. This is neither the time or the place for silly arguments that make no difference whatsoever to the original post. Have a merry Christmas!

Top Bottom