What's new

Gillette Aristocrat questions

The more I read about and look upon these razors the more I want one, not a collectors piece but a good looking, mechanically solid aristocrat. My question is how aggressive is this razor? For those that own a Slim, what setting on the slim mostly resembles the aggressiveness of aristocrat?

Ah don't get me wrong, I shave with my adjustable at 7; however, I love my aristocrat. It feels great and shaves well. And that is just my experience, as everything YMMV, in general I find the the average opinion of many members of the board is more accurate than the opinion of one

Agression is the big thing new DE-ers need to get over isn't it? I've certainly changed my views on it and now am fine with everything I've got, from my s/s thru my slant, Futur, all the way to my single-ring. I'm learning to change technique to get the best out of them all and love the learning curve. I do think there are people out there who need a certain level of agression, but I think it might not be as many as we'd think and I'm not one of them.

I see, well then I guess I won't get one. I use my Slim at 7.

I used a Slim at 6 or 7. Then I got an Aristocrat. I've had a hard time using any other razor since.

I have to add that I got my Aristocrat in the B/S/T forum for a great price. It is functional but definitely not a collectors piece. Also, I agree with Scottish Steve, you have to slightly modify your technique based on razor and blade combinations.

I've found the US Aristos to vary from mild- to medium-aggressive, but the UK versions are too aggressive for me, for whatever reason. They earlier models in particular can be wonderful shavers if they suit your face and style.

best,

s

I see, well hopefully one will come along here on the BST that catches my eye and that I can afford.

I've tried a number of Gillettes. Some I really like. Some don't really work for me.

But the Aristocrat stands on its own. It's almost like a razor apart. I have two and one is more aggressive than the other. The Aristocrat gives a shave against which I judge all other shaves: close, comfortable, works equally as well with a soap or a cream, and easy. There's not really a lot of work involved.

There's always a chance that you won't like it. But I recommend trying it.

You can always recoup the cost on the BST.

Yeah I know I could pass this razor down at cost here on the BST but I see them going for 50 bucks or more and well...I can't justfy that cost....yet.....the want of trying this razor will probably over come me soon lol...I am weak I guess.

Edit: It seems this, the Diplomat is the same razor only different in the handle...are these worth more than a Aristocrat? How about the silver President?

Yeah I know I could pass this razor down at cost here on the BST but I see them going for 50 bucks or more and well...I can't justfy that cost....yet.....the want of trying this razor will probably over come me soon lol...I am weak I guess.

Edit: It seems this, the Diplomat is the same razor only different in the handle...are these worth more than a Aristocrat? How about the silver President?

The presidents usually sell for more than the diplomat

If you look, you can find one cheap. I got mine for only $5 plus shipping on eBay. The auction never claimed it to be an aristocrat or even a Gillette. However, I had researched the aristocrat enough that I could recognize it from the picture. On the other hand, I have seen eBay auctions that say they are selling an aristorcrat and it isn't.

You should be able to find a decent shape Aristocrat for a lot less than $50, unless you're looking for a near mint one in a case. I have two that I bought recently on eBay for just about $20 each. Neither had a case, but both were in very good cosmetic and mechanical condition. I think Fatboys are selling for more $ now on eBay than Aristocrats.

Diplomats and Presidents are much harder to find than Aristocrats, so their value is higher. Presidents typically go for $50 or more unless they're only in fair cosmetic condition.

Keep looking and good luck.

jim

I have just recieved a 1966 Golden Aristocrat Adj. and it is a beauty!
It is in mint condition with box and original Aristocrat blades.

I thought I would wait a while before trying it but I'm tempted to use it at once. :001_rolle
From the reviews I've seen I have something to look foreward to.

Pan

I have just recieved a 1966 Golden Aristocrat Adj. and it is a beauty!
It is in mint condition with box and original Aristocrat blades.

I thought I would wait a while before trying it but I'm tempted to use it at once. :001_rolle
From the reviews I've seen I have something to look foreward to.

Pan
I picked up an Aristocrat Adjustable here about six weeks ago and it has been my daily razor since. First adjustable I've used and cannot say enough about how happy I am with it.

Before that, I was using a '50s Aristocrat that I picked up here as well. Fantastic razor - the balance is what sets this apart from the various SSs and Techs I have. The Aristocrat is a hefty piece of work with a nice, easy-to-grip handle but most of all, so well-balanced.

I picked up my '50s Aristocrat here for $25-$30 and my '40s Aristocrat for about the same. None are museum pieces but work quite well.

Keep hunting and keep an eye out for the Adjustable Aristocrat as well.

Top Bottom